Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new rider and after 2 weeks of my "new" bike being stuck at the shop getting new tires, chain, sprockets and battery, I finally got my baby back today and rode it to work to show it off =P It came time to head home after a hard day's work and consistent to my bad luck, my bike wouldn't start =( A fellow rider (who wasn't on his bike at the time) saw that I was having trouble and came over to help. I thought it might be that I didn't ride it long enough to fully charge up the new battery, so he tried helping me with a jump (with his car).

Sidenote: he happened to have the connector that connects to my battery tender connector (don't know what they're called), which was lucky for me since I didn't have any tools to get the seat off to reach the battery.

Nothing we tried worked, so I hung my head and said "thanks anyways". Despite my haven given up, he kept coming back saying, "let's try this...". Eventually, we did get the bike to start (in neutral) off some weird fluke...I was ecstatic, said "thanks" and rode off.

Halfway home, I'm coming up to a red light and as I shift into first, the engine dies again (My clutch was fully gripped, I didn't stall out)...I pull my bike off to the side and stand in dismay not really knowing what to do. I decide to call AAA hoping that maybe a jump might do something good (I'm as noob as a person can be, so I was grasping for anything at this point). Again to my luck, a fellow rider pulls up in an SUV and asks me what the problem is. I told him I didn't know and he parks his car, walks across the busy road and helps me try to start it again. After repeated attempts to start it on first, we shift it into neutral and get the bike started. Again, I happily said my thanks and rode the rest of the way home.

I just wanted to show my gratitude to the riding community out there. Without knowing who I was, ya'll stepped away from your busy day, completely out of the way and helped this noob rider get back on the road. Although I'm bummed my bike is in the shape that it's in now, I could not be happier with knowing what a great community riding has created and that I'm now a part of that. I hope that one day I can pass-it-forward.

Thanks.

·
Registered
263 Posts
welcome to the 2 wheel community. I can not count how many times I have stopped for others. Even when I have pulled off to take a break on a long ride of make a call. I get a number of bikers who give me that look or waive to make sure I am good to go. Hope you figure out what the issue was.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
welcome to the 2 wheel community. I can not count how many times I have stopped for others. Even when I have pulled off to take a break on a long ride of make a call. I get a number of bikers who give me that look or waive to make sure I am good to go. Hope you figure out what the issue was.
Yup, I think I've got it figured out, thanks to dotnet =P

yep i always stop for bike or pretty girls lol....try and figure that **** out.....and post up what the problem was....
I'm not sure why the engine just died out on me the 2nd time while I was coming to a stop at the light, but dotnet members told me what my problem was with it only starting in neutral. Embarrassingly enough, I didn't know you couldn't start the bike in first if the kickstand is down :retard:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Tried with the clutch in and it still wouldn't start =/ Weird cuz I figured clutch in equals neutral...
Thats odd because I'm pretty sure with my clutch in, with the bike also in gear it will turn over and start. I've got an '06. I can't recall but to the people that know is there a switch on the clutch lever that tells the bike its in? If there is maybe the switch is bad which is keeping it from starting in gear with the clutch in. :dontknow:

A

·
0 Posts
mine i know starts with the clutch pulled in and in 1st gear! I have an 09!

·
Registered
263 Posts
That damn kickstand sensor gets all of us now and then. I will come out of store or something start the bike and then Pull Clutch put in gear and bam everything dies. (forgot to put up the kickstand) Immediately look around to see how many people saw my f up. LOL glad nothing serious!!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Happens to the best of us. I had my bike in the shop getting rear sets put on and one of the techs there took it for a spin and the kick stand was down and he stalled. Pretty funny. But it happens to us all. :)

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Yeah bro welcome to the net.... glad your 1st experiences with other riders have been pleasant. Bbuy some tools and a manual and do your own work on the bike you will save $$$$$ by the butt load. I'm sure after all that work they did on the bike the bill was roughly +$500 correct? Welcome to 2 wheels!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would personally rather my bike cut off if I try to shift to first with the kickstand down then figure out the kickstand is down when I try riding, but that's just me. :dontknow:

Glad you got it figured out, though.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Obviously the rider that took the time to help David out was not a CBR rider.
One of them was a Harley rider and the other rode a CBR1000RR =/

Yeah bro welcome to the net.... glad your 1st experiences with other riders have been pleasant. Bbuy some tools and a manual and do your own work on the bike you will save $$$$$ by the butt load. I'm sure after all that work they did on the bike the bill was roughly +$500 correct? Welcome to 2 wheels!
Yup yup. I bought a ton of tools and got a digital copy of the service manual from fellow dotnet members. The shop probably loves me. Total cost for everything including new tires, sprockets, chain, battery and labor was about $1.2k. I'm gonna try to do some of my own work to save some money and get to know my bike a bit better.

I would personally rather my bike cut off if I try to shift to first with the kickstand down then figure out the kickstand is down when I try riding, but that's just me. :dontknow:

Glad you got it figured out, though.
Either way, if there's a defect with my bike (broken clutch sensor), I'd like to get it fixed.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
One of them was a Harley rider and the other rode a CBR1000RR =/

Yup yup. I bought a ton of tools and got a digital copy of the service manual from fellow dotnet members. The shop probably loves me. Total cost for everything including new tires, sprockets, chain, battery and labor was about $1.2k. I'm gonna try to do some of my own work to save some money and get to know my bike a bit better.

Either way, if there's a defect with my bike (broken clutch sensor), I'd like to get it fixed.

no, its nothing wrong

the kickstand will ALLWAYS kill a bike in gear, reason: if you hit a bump, pothole, wtf ever, and that kickstand were to make contact with the ground while your in motion, say hello to getting ejected from the bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts