Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm through with street riding. This will be my last summer, I'm switching to track days, and maybe racing, only. It's only a month into the good riding weather here in OR, and I've had at least five pucker moments...I'm sick and tired of it. Four of the five were due to other drivers not looking, I'm getting damn good at stoppies now, and the other was loose gravel on a not so well maintained road. I so much want to attempt to use my RR for which it was designed, but it's just too risky on the street. You all know what I'm talking about. Having that potential and not being able to use it...is so effin' frustrating!

So, in switching to a track only bike...any advice? I've already bought my race gear...full leathers, helmet, gloves, and boots. Now I need to start bike prep. I figured I could do some of the things now...the thing that will not cause the bike to be illegal on the street.

You guys, and gals, that do alot of track days, what other things should I start collecting? Stuff for the pits, etc...

·
Registered
602 Posts
I know what you mean. The other day I had my first "real" pucker moment. I was going around a quick curve and some dumb lady on her cell in a big ass suv came half way into my lane making a left turn in front of me. I stood it up asap and lucky for me she stoped just in the nick of time. If she would have kept going or tried to make it I would have t-boned her. About 50 mph. I dont think im ready to give up street riding but I know exactly where your comming from.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Where in Oregon are you riding? Just curious cause I live there too! I hate to hear that kind of thing...cause i just got my bike this summer.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
fanatiCBR said:
So, in switching to a track only bike...any advice?
this from the clubdesmo.com 'what to bring' list:
(Borrowed from SouthBayRiders.com)

Some things to consider, but not mandatory, remember most people don't / can't bring all of these items, and some will bring all of them! Suggestion, try to "PIT" next to the person that did! If you find you need something you don't have . . just ask around! There will be TIRE SERVICE at the track, but if you have a favorite tire that you just don't want to risk not having at the track bring it, you can get it mounted there! Some of this may seem anal, but you never know when it may save your (or somebody elses) day!

Clothing
T-shirts
Decent shirt
Shorts
Sandals
Boxers/underwear
Swimsuit (summer months)
Jeans
Hat
Socks

Motorcycle
Key for your motorcycle (don't laugh many have made this mistake!)

Tools/Toolbox
Hex keys
Metric Socket set
Slip-joint pliers
Needle-nosed pliers
Vise-Grip pliers
Oil filter wrenches
Metric wrenches
10-inch adjustable wrench
15-inch adjustable wrench
Screwdriver handle
Set of philips, flat, and torx screwdriver bits
Small screwdrivers/eye glass repair kit
Tire pressure gauge
Tire pump
Torque wrench
Hammer
Rubber mallet
Mini-hack Saw
Extra hack-saw blades
Diagonal cutters
Zip-ties (in several sizes)
Teflon tape
Blue Loctite
JB Weld
Duct tape
Impact driver
Electric multi-meter
Mechanix gloves
Spare valve-stem covers
Valve core tool
Standard Rear Stand
Standard Front Stand

Chemicals/Fluids/Spares
Motorcycle oil
DOT brake fluid
Plexus plastic cleaner
Brake/Contact Cleaner
Spray Polish
Distilled Water
Water Wetter
Liquid Wrench
Shop Towels
5-gallon gas cans

Spare lever(s)

Shift lever

Toe Slider

Knee Puck

Clutch

First Aid/protection
Sunscreen
Chapstick with sunblock
Ibuprofin or Tylenol
Wide Brim Hat or Cap

Riding Gear
Leathers (Cordura/Kevlar/AeroStich are okay in the "C" groups-but not reccomended!)
Boots
Gloves
Helmet
Sunglasses
Ear plugs
Back protector (highly reccomended)
Ultra-Cool shirt (CoolMax)

Towing
Canyon Dancer bar harness
2 or 4 ratchet tie-downs
2 or 4 pull-tight tie-downs
Soft-ties
Wheel chocks
Ramp
Bungee cords
Locks

Vision
Contact Lenses
Spare pair of contact lenses
Contact cleaning solution
Eye drops
Contact lens case
Glasses case

Pit Furnishings
Awning (EZ-up)
Ballast bags to stabilize EZ-Up when/if the wind kicks up.
Collapsible chairs
Astro-turf/Carpet
Ice chest
5-gallon Gatorade Cooler
Extra cups
Gatorade mixing spoon
Gatorade powder
Ice is available on or near the track!

Toiletries
Brush
Comb
Razor
Shaving cream
Soap
Shampoo
Deodorant
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Hand Cleaner!

Cold Weather Gear (Maybe in December!)
Long Underwear
Face mask (e.g. The Masque)
Jacket

Food & Drink
Energy Bars
Favorite snacks
Gatorade
Water-Lot's of it!
Ice (you can pick ice up @ your motel or local gas mart)
Fruit
Lunch (Paid riders will be provided lunch-attendees can buy lunch for $5.00 person)

Miscellaneous Stuff
Cell phone
Phone charger
Book
Camera
Film
Tripod/monopod
Flashlight
Travel alarm
Insect repellent
Cash/Credit Card
Pillow?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Everyday I have an instance where if I wasnt paying full attention, I would be in a wreck.

I do ride to and from work on local streets, and I get my fair share of SUV moms on their cellphones running stopsigns and street lights with their kids in the back... but I guess I am used to it.

I totaled out my 04 R6 on the freeway from a hit and run due to someone coming over and hitting my front wheel out (could have prevented it if I was paying more attention). Then a few weeks later, one of my friends was killed due to a kid with a suspended license running a stop sign on a surface street.

I guess what Im saying is, this is part of riding, and you shouldnt give up on the streets so easily. I just find the good times... way too good to stop.

That, and my car is used by the misses and I ride the bike everyday. :D

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I know its frustrating, but it can be done. You do just have to go that slow, but every now and then, everything clears out of the way, your all alone, with a huge sweeping bend infront of you, and then suddenly it all worthwhile. Sounds like youve learned a valuble lesson, one that costs many their lives, be thankfull you now know how fast you can actually go.

be carefull out there, they ARE out to kill you.

·
Woman Can Handle A LOT of Beef
2,009 Posts
I'm dreading moving back to California and riding street right now, as all I hear are bad things about Police crackdowns and headaches....

·
Registered
919 Posts
eh just ride with paranaoia and treat every driver out there like the piece of **** idiot that they are. in other words take the Team Oregon MSF class.

but you may be right ... maybe it isn't fun for you to ride like this. you probably don't belong on the road anyway.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Thats why I quit most street riding altogether, too many of those "damn, if that had been just a tad worse or too late or whatever" moments. Ride safe at the track and enjoy, you won't be dissappointed.

·
Registered
760 Posts
fanatiCBR said:
Well, I'm through with street riding. This will be my last summer, I'm switching to track days, and maybe racing, only. It's only a month into the good riding weather here in OR, and I've had at least five pucker moments...I'm sick and tired of it. Four of the five were due to other drivers not looking, I'm getting damn good at stoppies now, and the other was loose gravel on a not so well maintained road. I so much want to attempt to use my RR for which it was designed, but it's just too risky on the street. You all know what I'm talking about. Having that potential and not being able to use it...is so effin' frustrating!

So, in switching to a track only bike...any advice? I've already bought my race gear...full leathers, helmet, gloves, and boots. Now I need to start bike prep. I figured I could do some of the things now...the thing that will not cause the bike to be illegal on the street.

You guys, and gals, that do alot of track days, what other things should I start collecting? Stuff for the pits, etc...
You won't miss the street. You'll go through moments but overall you'll be happy with your decision. It took me 2 seasons to get the street out of my system for good and I haven't looked back since.

I've been track riding since 2002 and all i have are gear/ spares/ canopy/ chair/ cooler/ 2 gas jugs/ ramp/ front&rear stands/ tools

as far as bike set up:
tires and suspension are the most important things. where the rubber meets the road. good luck and welcome to the track!

·
Registered
932 Posts
I gave-up street riding a last year. I thought I would miss it, however, I really don't. The track is a much more exciting place to ride. cbrmac is right on the money when he says tires and suspension are the most important things. Get to the track and have a blast!!!!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
+1 on Nando. I still ride streets a bit, but I have to borrow my wife's bike to do it since mine isn't road legal anymore. I'm looking to pick up an SV1K for tooling around the street and doing a little sport-touring. I don't miss riding fast on the street, its all about the ride and enjoying being out there when I ride street now.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
!Xobile said:
Where in Oregon are you riding? Just curious cause I live there too! I hate to hear that kind of thing...cause i just got my bike this summer.
Scappoose area, Cornelious Pass Rd., Skyline Rd., Hwy 30, and Hillsboro.
That's pretty much my stomping ground.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's not as though I am a new rider. I have been riding for the last 10 years, this is
my third bike. I've been through three training courses, so my desicion has not been
made in haste. This is just my last summer. After talking with some of the racers
here and seeing the response from most of you, I know I'm making the ride decision.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts