Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not like it seems, I knew it would get your attention....

I fully believe in and recommend MSF to EVERYONE...however after my Fiance's experience with this certain instructor I am very disgusted, and think that the company MTI, who teaches the classes needs to audit their instructors more often

This Instrcutor, not onyl does he spend more time TALKING than allowing the students to Practice riding skills, spends more time on his Phone than anything else. He is arrogant as hell, I wanted to smack him, but for the sake of my fiance' did not.

He tried to tell my fiance' this F4i he has is such a good bike, for $5500, 6100 miles, the fork tubes are rusty!!! they have Michelin Pilot Roads!!!! Not powers like he said they had. the chain is FILTHY and looser than a 10 cent hooker. You could tell there was spilled oil around the Oil Fill plug that was never cleaned up, overall bike was FILTHY and horribly kept. it is a 2005.

Mind you this guy own his own shop, teached MSF courses and was at one time a "Racer". He tried telling my Fiance that keeping two finger over the brake while riding is WRONG, that you should never do that and to ALWAYS squeeze the lever with a full hand!!!! WTF!!!!! I wanted to smack this retard. As soon as he said that I taught her a bad habit, this older instructor who I talk to alot stuck up for me and said "No he is a damn safe and good rider."

Bottom line is, your a teacher, and should NEVER down another rider in front of others unless they are clearly dong something unsafe and then you STILL DO NOT DOWN THEM!!! I dont know, I would love to see this guy fired and NEVER allowed to teach MSF EVER AGAIN.

Have you had a horrible experince? What should I do about reporting his bad attitude and teaching?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
When I took the course my instructors were pretty cool, their idea of teaching was more riding and practicing than talking, as soon as he/she finished explaining the exercise they were telling us to jump on the bikes and ride, unless somebody need more help they would pull them aside and talk

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yeah, I had a pretty good experience with my course instructor. He had a little business and I ended up buy and Pretty nice KBC helmet from him for $100 that usually retailed for ~$150.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
TonyTheTige-rr said:
um they always want you to grab with ur whole hand, but im use to two fingers on brake and clutch.
Same here. They wanted us to use all four fingers on the brake / clutch. In fact I got caught using two fingers and the instructor razzed (playfully) me a bit. He asked if I was racing for the AMA. LOL! Anyhow, based on the rest of your post that instructor sounds awful. Total opposite of the instructor I had here. Contact the MSF and file a complaint.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THEYCALLMECLOS said:
I see your from West Palm where did you take your course? It sounds like the instructor I had..
Dudes name was Frank!!!

I am going to file a complaint against him...Someone like that needs to be fired.

PM me if you are still in West Palm Beach, maybe we can ride sometime

·
Registered
352 Posts
Being an MSF instructor (in training at the moment), I'll chime in on some things.

- Each excercise is supposed to be run for 20 minutes...if he didnt give riders ample time to practice, he's in the wrong. Some schools will split the riders into 2 groups if the class size is large...one group of experienced riders, the other with beginners. SOMETIMES, if the more experienced guys have completed the objective and seem to start making "lazy mistakes" from too much repitition, the excercise might get cut down to 15 minutes just so they don't develop bad habits.

- Braking...yep, I dont like it either, but MSF teaches to use all 4 fingers when braking; it's in the book, and they teach strictly by the book. One of the biggest habits I had to break for the demo rides was using only 2 fingers when braking...had to get used to using all 4. VERY awkward...BUT, the reason they teach that is because most students are too timid to use the front brakes to their full potential on those 250s they use to teach the class. Using 4 fingers helps them get more power to the front brakes and helps them pass the "quick stop" portion of the exam. The difference between a good teacher and the one you had is that the exceptional instructor will point out that 4 fingers is necessary on those bikes for the class...but when students move on to better performing bikes and improve their skills, 2 fingers is enough.

Sorry you had a bad experience...but the MSF instructor was essentially doing his job and teaching the class as outlined by the book.

·
Registered
227 Posts
That sucks man...my instructors were great. Though they did say they had a buddy they road with that preaches to everyone he knows to brake with all 4 fingers. Apparently he had been using 2 his whole life until once when he was braking is fingers cramped up, slipped off the lever, and he ran into the back of a tractor trailer.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
After the class you are supposed to get an evaluation form on the class and instructors. Here in Cali we fax it in to the CHP. I don't know if they do this in all classes throughout the nation though. Obviously you wouldn't send that evaluation to the CHP if you not in Cali but maybe to your own state authority.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Give him a piss poor evaluation. If enough people feel the same way then you should report him black and white goes along way.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
honestly a lot of the teachers/ places around here are pretty bad, and the course is much to easy. I wish they would make it a lot more comprehensive. I always say it, but ill say it again, The way it is currently, its like buying your license. i prefer DMV. it was hard as hell here, and didnt cost me a ton of cash *** ASSUMING the person already knows how to ride!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I took mine here in Nashville, TN and I had some great instructors. After reading some of the posts on this, I now know that they did break some of the rules, but it wasn't anything to cause safety violations, so wth!! After taking it here, you can go get the endorsement on your license without testing, is it like that in other states? Just curious to know. Sorry you had such a bad experience man!!! Good luck with it all.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
She passed... the bottom line is your a teacher, teachers DO NOT, insult other people under ANY circumstance...PERIOD...it is not proper procedure.

To tell my fiance that Putting a finger or two over the brake is WRONG, is ********!!! It may be a little advanced, but not that much. I cannot say how many times that precious split second has saved me from going off a mountain, or into a cager!!!

Then he said that I was "Interfering" with her, I showed up because she wanted me to, I sat AWAY from the instructors, there was one older instructor who was sitting with me and we were swapping old stories and experiences!! I only talked to my Fiance' when she was on her break.

Bottom line is the guy is a prick, he is the "President" of something called "Street Soldiers" here in Florida, I have not the single idea who the hell knows them! Everyone I asked here in Palm Beach County has no idea.

Infact you can view the thread I have on a local forum about it here....

http://www.soflasportbikes.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9781

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
THe only time I tried to go out on the track was to tell him that one of his student's tires was VERY low in the front...he ignored me and the poor lady was having a hard tim turning...it was like that the next day they rode!!!

He is supposed to be teaching them SAFETY!!!!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts