Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I have been reading this forum for a couple months now and have fallen in love with the 600rr. I have had my heart set on one for a while now but just started a new job and the $6000 for a nice 05-06 is a little tough to swing right now. Mainly, I desperately want to get back on 2 wheels after my recent more and new job. I found an '02 F4i with 5500 miles for $3800 that fits my wallet perfect and is in excellent shape. I would like to know the thoughts and opinions of those surfing the boards about the RR's tamer little brother. I'm pretty sure the '02 is fuel injected(one of the first years they made it in FI) which will hopefully give it the throttle response of a supersport. So anyway....what do you guys/gals think? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
23 Posts
F4i is an excellent bike. It has a less aggressive positioning than the 600rr, so it is a little bit easier on the back/wrists. I went from an f4i to a 600rr, and you can tell that the 600rr is tuned better, but the f4i is still a great bike.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Basically ask yourself if you are willing to settle for the F4i. Yes it is fuel injected. The F4i was Honda's first fuel injected middleweight (600cc), the model starting in 2001.

I started on an F4i and it is a very good, very capable bike. You will have tons of fun as long as you do not regret the decision. If every RR that drives by while you're on your F4i makes you want one, maybe you need to wait a bit longer and just get that RR. The worst feeling is having buyer's remorse.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
+1! Buyer's remorse is a sucky feeling...

Im not sure what to say. I would tell you to wait until you can get the rr but at the same time the f4i is a great bike too. I have an 06 and I love it!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At this point anything with 2 wheels and a twist grip throttle will satisfy the ever growing desire to be riding again. I test rode an 06 F4i at the MSF last year when I took it and it was a HUGE leap up from the ninja 250. I also look at it as an investment. I can sell the bike next season, make most, if not all the money back, and add a couple thousand and pick up a 600rr. As far as buyers remorse, I would consider myself lucky to pass a 600rr and atleast be able to share a brotherly wave to the rider! Keeps the thoughts coming!

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I say get the rr...for 5000-6000 you can find an 05-06 model with decent miles. Im sure you can

·
Registered
196 Posts
I had an 01 F4i and took a year off before getting the 07 RR. I didn't exactly ride them back to back, but I was actually disappointed at how little of a difference I felt. I guess six years of refinement, a few mm here and a few kg there isn't exactly earth-shattering.

If that bike is mint that's a pretty good price too. I have a standing offer to buy my old one back for more than that if my friend decides to sell.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a buddy i ride with that has the f4i and he keeps up fine with my 07 rr it seems the newer bike has alot more torque i run from him pretty good up to about 140, then the older bike starts taking over. but who needs to go that fast any ways, my buddy says his 02 f4i will run 170, thats a little more top end then the newer rr's and it noticable, but all around its a honda and you cant go wrong

·
Registered
709 Posts
F4i is an awesome bike. very comfortable, and very capable. I could keep up with most anyone on any bike in the twisties, I have even seen a chick on an F4i smoke everyone.

I didnt really start wanting an 07rr until I started doing more track days. The F4i just lacked the mid range power that the new rr has, and so I was lacking in driving off the corners.

IMO, the F4i is a perfect street bike. very, very comfortable, handles very well, and if ridden correctly can keep up with anyone on the street. (although you may have to actually brush up on your skills to do it)

all that being said, if you already have your heart set on an RR model, just get the RR model. there is no sense in settling on something thats whole pupose is to bring you happiness.

its not like your saying, well I really dont need the deluxe newest version of refridgerator, or other appliance or utilitarian thing. This is a toy for god sake(not to be taken lightly in responsiblity) but none the less something that you are buying just becuase you want it and it brings you joy. so buy what you really want.

You can find RR's for just a hair more than $4k, just look harder

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
You'll be happy with the F4i, especially that year because it was built before the banana seat. My first bike was an F4i, it was a great learner. I sold it long before I should have, it had plenty of capability and would've made a great track bike.

·
I AM The Righty
2,380 Posts
f4i is a great starter bike and you won't be disappointed.
honestly, I think that price is a little high - I paid $4000 for an f4i 3 years ago and it had the same miles. I understand location can change prices, but it's toward the end of riding season and I don't think you should pay any more than $3300 depending on the mods

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What a response! All great advice, thanks for the inputs. The particular F4i i had in mind when writing this post has taken a turn south. The particulars of the transaction seem fishy to me so I have my guard up. On the other hand, the general consensus is enlightening because i have been back and forth between the two bikes. I like the styling of the RR, but the ergonomics of the F4i do prevail(so I'm told). The Banana seat is one thing I do want to avoid...I don't know what it is about that thing, i just HATE it, and so does everyone else apparently. Unless I find a nice F4i in the next month or so, I will probably shoot for the RR come September/October. They should be slightly cheaper since the season is about over at that point. Only downer is your stuck garaging your new toy for the winter, except for the random nice December days.

·
Resident Arai Freak
2,808 Posts
F4i is an awesome bike, it is hands down the best street bike ever made. With that being said it lacks just a little on the track compared to the newest bikes (only really good riders will exploit the difference). If you're set on a RR don't settle for a F4i because you'll regret it every time a RR drives by.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but I find the seating position more comfortable and natural on my 06 RR than I did on my 02 F4i.

The F4i has higher clip ons, lower pegs, but the BIGGEST thing that they changed for the RR was to bring the REACH to the bars closer. That made a huge difference for me. My arms are lower but because they are closer to my body, it feels more relaxed.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I rode my buddy's F4i today for a few minutes...GREAT bike! Off the line and midrange (to me atleast) felt weaker than my rr but not by much. If I have one word to describe it: comfortable. But I still say get the rr if you can hold on till you have sufficient funds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts