Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jan 17 1997, I survived the car wreck show below. The car was towed to the location pictured on two seperate flat beds. Speed and alcohol were not factors. Ice and a lightpole were.

Some say I was lucky for surviving, for years I believed I was unlucky for wrecking. I styill debate it in my head from time to time, but regardless, I am glad to still be here.

The car ( for those old enough to remember) was a 1978 AMX 360 Go Pack with the rally option.

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
wow, you can't even tell what kinda car it used to be, let alone know it was an AMX.
my pops used to have a sweet AMX, red white and blue. we had a nice GTO back in the day. going through Oklahoma city one night in the rain, and got hit head on by a drunk driver. i suffered a fractured skull, only broken bone in my life, out of all my crashes.

My mother says that explains alot about me, lol.
Glad to see your still with us though, stuff like that really makes you stop and think.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Wow... You would look at it and think no way did the guy live. Amazing.

How badly were you hurt?

As far the luck I think it goes both ways. Canceling each other out. Equal amounts of bad and good luck. Somehting like that.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
i remember you mentioning this a little while ago. it's great to have you here, man! this is definitely something to keep everything in perspective and keep you going.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Physical damage to me --- I am one inch shorter. I have some scoliosis from it. When the car ripped in half, the shoulder point of the three point seat belt stayed with the back of the car. The lap belt points stayed with the front. The seat belt pulled tight, broke the driver’s seat back with my body and then ripped (hard impact huh?). It ripped every muscle in my back.

The left side of my face made contact with the asphalt, and promptly ripped all the skin off (healed somewhat well, but I’m still ugly). In the hospital, my cheek and forehead had swollen together in front of the eye. Blood would puddle in that area, while the cuts in my head would bleed and fill my ear. When I tilted my head to drain blood out of my ear, the blood from my eye would run down and refill my ear with blood. I could smell it and taste it. Not fun!!!

My ankle somehow got mangled but not broken.

Otherwise, just lots of cuts and bruises.

The amazing part, not one broken bone.

·
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware
6,874 Posts
jesus christ Mike. i knew about the crash didn't know how sever the injuries were! you ain't that ugly considering, i guess.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was a 30mph road. I was doing max 40mph at time of initial contact with Ice.

The damage on the car points to the car turning sideways on the ice, the front Right A-arm callapsed as the car came off the ice causing the front wheel to buckle under the car.

This sent the car up into a cartwheel.

I was apperantly taking a little nap by this point --- Guessing from the only deep gash on my body was about where the steering wheel hit me in the face.

I had a hard time believing it until someone showed me a machbox car wreck. He pushed the car hard, it hit carpet or something and proceeded to flip. As the car continued on its stright line path, it did not accelerate, however, the outer extremeties of the car are flying high speed end over end. THis is how the car virtually exploded on impact with the pole.

There was one witness. THey were behind me and the only thing they contibutes it they saw my headlights three times.

·
Registered
129 Posts
wow, i would have to say you are lucky. glad that you are still around. Question: Is that a deer leg in the picture?

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I thought that was a deer leg too but from what you said I can see the driveshaft. Hard to beleive a 40mph crash can do that much damage, guess that says a lot for safety improvements in modern cars. Thanks for sharing this thread with us.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Almost unreal. Very real to you though i'm sure. That would give anyone a different perspective on life. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It just wasn't your time to go. Glad to hear you have recovered. It took me a while to forget the sound of hitting a cement barrier when I crashed my car. I was lucky no one was hurt.

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
you survived that. lol. that aint luck dawg, thats divine intervention.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts