Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I get this burnt smelling smell from the front area of my bike...
First I thought I had a oil leak... looked around.. nothing... bad oil? Changed the oil nothing... leaks from seals.... nothing... coolant? full... so i assume its just a natural smell?
Its not there 24/7 just really during start ups etc etc

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
did oil get spilled on the exhaust headers when changing?
I haven't looked in the RR but thats happened on my F4i but it goes away before too long.
other than that I've got no clue, good luck w/ it

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
yeah somethin is on your headers. but it seems like it would burn off and not keep smellin.... or smell all the time

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
i would say if you still have the warn. run it till its broke...JK ... but i bet you just got some oil on the headers and its burning off

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeh I agree with you all 100% on that... and that sounds like the REAL LIKELY source... but the oil was changed like 1000 miles ago. Im not sure what it is but I just thought you all might have experienced it at some time... I want to SAY it is when I ride real hard then come to a rest, but that's speculation and could be just me worring too much about my stess on the bike at that time.
But I guess it's just me...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wait... unless it take a while for it to burn off... then that makes sense!!!!
Say yes and I'dd be HAPPY! [:)]

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
ok i thought you said it stopped after the bike was hot.... now it seems like you mean when you come to a stop you can smell it again.... makes sense cause you wont smell it while you are moving since it is blowing. youve got somethin on your headers. does it smell like oil or something else?

anyway... if its just a film of oil then it will burn off and be fine. if its like a big chunk of somethin the blew onto em like tar or plastic or somethin you want to get it off before it fudges up your headers. or just go buy a full arata!!! :01_thumbu

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey every one im new just browsing through. I wanted to wait till i get my rr next month to post but i think i have the answer. Its sounds like its your brakes. When you break hard and your brakes get real hot and smoke it smells like somthing burning.

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
can you tell us what kind of smell ie overheating smell( coolant leak ) plastic burning ( loose wire or picked something off the road such as a shopping plastic bag that got wedged in the headers ) oil burning ( dirty headers ) also as soon as you smell it stop and start looking around i am sure you will be able to find the source best of luck

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
smartini said:
Hey every one im new just browsing through. I wanted to wait till i get my rr next month to post but i think i have the answer. Its sounds like its your brakes. When you break hard and your brakes get real hot and smoke it smells like somthing burning.
He said it was mostly at start up so the brakes haven't been used yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I get a funny smell too... It happens after warm up, when it is wet out. Smells like hot plastic! Took a peek and all is where it should be. Again, it only smells like hot plastic when the road is wet and the engine is up to normal running temp. My guess is the steam coming off the pipes is the culprit. I'd actually be worried if it smelled like burning plastic! My advice is if the bugger catches fire... get off!

·
Registered
177 Posts
this has always bothered me also.
i live in the norcal area so its dry and i never take my bike out in the rain.
but everytime when the bike gets warmed up after 10-15 mins of riding, the burning smell of plastic? comes up when i pull to a stop? sometimes its there, sometimes its not.
checked oil, coolant, brakes, all seem to check out fine... and the bike rides perfectly fine also.
just curious wtf it is lol

·
Watch out Vale Xavier Alexander is coming
1,088 Posts
this has always bothered me also.
i live in the norcal area so its dry and i never take my bike out in the rain.
but everytime when the bike gets warmed up after 10-15 mins of riding, the burning smell of plastic? comes up when i pull to a stop? sometimes its there, sometimes its not.
checked oil, coolant, brakes, all seem to check out fine... and the bike rides perfectly fine also.
just curious wtf it is lol
Same here....I don't know what it is...but my 06 has 12k on it and it still does it. It might just be the desert sand...but even after I did a deep clean on my bike it still smelled like it.....but only on start up from being cold...and occasionally at a stop.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Same here....I don't know what it is...but my 06 has 12k on it and it still does it. It might just be the desert sand...but even after I did a deep clean on my bike it still smelled like it.....but only on start up from being cold...and occasionally at a stop.
yeah, i smell it at random stops, makes me look dumb sniffing around the front of my bike at the stop.lol
and the worst is, once i shut off the motor and try to look for where the smell is coming from, its gone.
damn bike!!

·
Jack Daniels is my bff
1,985 Posts
yeah, i smell it at random stops, makes me look dumb sniffing around the front of my bike at the stop.lol
and the worst is, once i shut off the motor and try to look for where the smell is coming from, its gone.
damn bike!!
Lol...same here. I have an 06 and sometimes out of the blue I'll smell something almost like burning, and Ill sit at the light and sniff as hard as I can all around my bike trying to see what it is lol. Later check my bike and all is fine, weird :tard:

·
Hitz eit from z back
5,357 Posts
try to see if the smell is coming from the ram air tubes at the front of the bike. I'm all most 100% sure on what it could be if that where the smell is from, And its not what you think ether.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with this mysterious smell... But, yea, I just got an 07. It has less than 2000 miles on it. I got caught in heavy rain with it for the first time the other night. When I got home there was alot of steam; looked like it was coming from the radiator area... and then came the smell. Smell is exactly like that of wire insulation being melted, but it's a brand new bike, and after closer inspection all my wires up there are nice and tidy. Its only been 1 day since then and the smell is practically non existent. I'm not too worried about it (I'm still under warranty)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts