Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
BOTM Winner 1/13
5,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets dedicate this thread to all any of motorcycle related issue of the myths and what true/fact/reality of motorcycling. whether is skills in riding of motorcycle issue themselves.

ill start of with a few.. i know there are tons out theres. so lets lay them down

--------------------------------------

--parking on black asphalt on a hot weather day will sink your bike down via kickstand if you dont support the kickstand

--wearing a helmet is going to block my ability to see or hear.. MYTH

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I think someone here wrote about the first one...came out of classroom or something and found a bike tipped over and kickstand was sunk in the asphalt.

I don't think this one's a myth, hot day in AK is very different then hot day in AZ :thumbup:

·
Registered
470 Posts
The asphalt one does happen, I have never had it to a point my bike fell over, and the asphalt I was on was only a few months old but mine bikes kickstand sank about 2-3 inches

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
556 Posts
Palm Desert, SoCal here! 120 degree weather during the summer. The first one definitely happens. Luckily not to me yet however.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
240 Posts
The first one definitely happens here in AZ. I know it's getting warm outside when I kickstand turn the bike and it cuts a hole in the asphalt.

·
VP of Metal Operations
4,202 Posts
The most irritating one would have to be the silly myths about getting dehydrated from leather in the heat. It’s quite the opposite. That is why you sweat. The guys cruising around in their Tees will get dehydrated far quicker than I will in my leather jacket and that is a FACT!

·
VP of Metal Operations
4,202 Posts
Harley-Davidson Built the First Motorcycle

Not true. Harley-Davidson motorcycles are known all around the world, but some mistake William Harley and brothers Arthur and Walter Davidson as the inventors of the motorcycle, when the credit should actually be going to a German by the name of Gottlieb Daimler. In 1885, Daimler attached Nicolaus Otto’s four-stroke internal combustion engine (invented in 1876) to a bicycle frame and created the first ever gas-powered motorcycle.

For fans of steam-powered transport, Sylvester Roper could be credited with the first pairing of a steam engine with a bicycle 18 years earlier, in 1867. But both Roper and Daimler went on to focus their attention on making automobiles, while Harley and the Davidson brothers focused their attention on motorcycles. In 1903, the Harley-Davidson Motor Company was officially launched, and although not the originators of the motorcycle, their impact on motorcycle history is just as momentous.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Loud pipes save lives: MYTH

Cars today are so heavily insulated against outside noise, plus the fact that occupants have radio and AC/Heater blowing so that they can barely hear themselves talk, much less hear a motorcycle coming at them. Add to that talking on cell phone/driver inattention, and the volume of exhaust noise is irrelavant. Paying attention, riding skills and protective gear save lives. I do love the sound of a sweet exhaust note though....

·
OG
3,350 Posts
You're gonna kill yourself on that thing!

Myth; I may, I may not.

You must get great mileage with that motorcycle!

Myth; no, actually your hybrid gets better mileage.

You must get mad hoes!

Myth; I have found riding an rr turns more heads than driving a 911. But this can do little good if you've no game. It takes more than just having a toy to get the girlies. Therefore: myth.

Your headlight is out.

Myth; no the high beam is off.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Riding in the rain causes INSTANTANEOUS barrel rolls and crashes.. Myth

While the painted lines are undoubtedly more slippery, a good tire and smooth throttle makes it nothing than a G thang. Except wet socks, there's nothing gangster about wet socks..

·
VP of Metal Operations
4,202 Posts
Why are you swerving all over the place? I'm warming up my tires...Myth

·
VP of Metal Operations
4,202 Posts
Found this too

Although some might consider it outlandish, a large number of people believe their bikes make less power with the high beam headlight(s) on. We’ve heard all sorts of explanations why this occurs (though never from an electrical engineer), with the most common being: “The headlights suck too much juice and I don’t get as strong of a spark as if I had my lights off.”

To keep things simple and consistent at the dyno, all runs were made within five minutes of each other on the same bike-a stock 2011 Yamaha R1. We took the theory one step further and ran three different tests; low beams, high beams and no headlights at all.

With the headlights in the low position, peak power was 143.2 HP. The second set of pulls in the high beam position netted us 143.1. Finally, we removed the headlight fuse and spun the drum another three times to the tune of 143.3.

A look at the three graphs shows small discrepancies that boil down to dyno error. To put it into perspective, we’re talking about changes of less than a tenth (.1) of a horsepower on a 143 horsepower spread, which is well within the dyno’s margin of error.

This shows that running high, low or without headlights has no effect on horsepower if the bike has a properly functioning charging system. The reason for this is easily explained: OEMs build the charging systems large enough to handle all of the onboard electronics and still have a healthy reserve in case a rider was to add aftermarket doodads like a fueling computer, alarm or LED lights.

Most modern motorcycles use a stator/alternator charging system to keep the battery charged. This system uses a metal rotor connected to the crankshaft that spins around a stator (a stator is essentially coiled copper wire wrapped around metal heads). When the rotor spins around the coiled copper wire (the stator) it creates electricity. The faster you spin it (by way of engine RPM) the more electricity it produces.

The electricity from the stator/rotor then travels as AC current to the regulator/rectifier where it rectifies the electricity from AC to DC-the type of current your battery needs. Along with rectifying the electricity, it also regulates it so that the battery isn’t over or under charged. When the battery needs more juice the regulator/rectifier dumps the current into the battery, and when the battery is full it dumps the current into the ground(s).

The charging system is designed to support all of the components that require electricity, and the headlights are a drop in the bucket compared to other systems. If you want to talk about sucking juice (amps and volts), the starter motor and the fuel injection are the real doozies.

MYTH: [CONFIRMED] [PLAUSIBLE] [BUSTED]

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
MYTH: Leaning a motorcycle low, as well as dragging a knee means you must be a fast and good rider. BIGGEST misconception, it doesn't mean **** about how good you are. In fact, It is possible to drag knee at under 10mph without any gyroscopic force keeping the bike from falling. As far as leaning goes, anyone who wants to lean a bike more than actually needed can do it, most of them tend to have an awful crossed up body position because they are just trying to lean their motorcycles. This in account with riders that try bragging about how they just were dragging their foots pegs and other hard parts sound extremely foolish. It just means you can't ride very well yet and you have to replace some parts now idiots..

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
What about a police radar gun pointed at a bike, harder to get a reading vs a car ? i would think FACT
i would have to agree,

since radar bounces off of target and returns, more target surface, more return, less target surface, less return!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Why are you swerving all over the place? I'm warming up my tires...Myth
Try telling that to a motogp rider (1,2, or 3), even though I agree it's a myth. It was debunked in one of the magazines a few years ago. They said hard acceleration and deceleration will warm up the tire better. I need to find the source!

1 - 20 of 132 Posts