Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if there's any interest out there but instead of spoiling the "latest purchase" thread, I thought maybe we can have a little corner of our own to chat all things cycling.

I'm a little overwhelmed by all the options available for pedals/shoes, shorts, gloves etc. The bike I purchased does not come with pedals so I started looking around and now I'm looking for some recommendations on the following:

1. Shoes/pedals - Basically something that can do it all (off roading, commuting, etc.) what are some good brands/combos?

2. Shorts - Again, what brands? Padded or not?

3. Gloves - Looking for something with leather and preferably knuckle protection. Again, brands, what's good and what's not.

I know at the end it comes down to personal preference, but what is the general consensus?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
14,366 Posts
Ahhh, a subject that I LOVE.

1. I use SPD pedals, campus type. Flat on one side, cleated on the other.

2. I use Fox shorts for MTB, and Store brand for roadies. Both padded.

3. For gloves, palm protection is what I go for, and there are a LOT of good brands.

I have to say that cycling literally saved my life. When I had my heart attack last year, being fit for the 10 years prior got me through it according to my doc. The 45 years prio are what tried to kill me.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,893 Posts
i use shimano xt clipless pedals

http://www.jensonusa.com/Pedals/Shimano-XT-PD-M785-Clipless-Pedals

with specialized comp mtb shoes

http://www.specialized.com/ca/en/ftr/shoes/mtb-shoes/comp-mtb

mine are the model that this model replaced.

what sort of riding are you doing? this will make a huge difference in the direction you take with equipment. i have a cx bike that i mostly ride on the road and light trails (chose cx for speed, but also having a bit of tire so bumps aren't as awful as a full on roadie, as well as the ability to ride off pavement).

i chose to go with a more mtb pedal and shoe setup because they are more rugged, and the shoes have treads on them so you can actually walk around in them comfortably, the clips don't touch the ground. Road shoes you can forget about wearing anywhere but on the bike. they are still plenty stiff for me.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which shoes are you wearing with those pedals, X?
Saw them one of my Youtube adventures and was intrigued by the idea.

Main reason I got a MTB is so that I can lose a few lbs, get in shape and build my stamina for track riding. I know it's old news but glad to hear you're ok, bud.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what sort of riding are you doing? this will make a huge difference in the direction you take with equipment. i have a cx bike that i mostly ride on the road and light trails (chose cx for speed, but also having a bit of tire so bumps aren't as awful as a full on roadie, as well as the ability to ride off pavement).
Exactly this. Mostly road and some light trails in-between. The bike I bought is classified as a XC as well. I'll take a look at your suggestions, thanks!

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,893 Posts
awesome! which one did you get?

i didn't get anything too fancy. just an AL frame specialized crux disc. i DEFINITELY wanted disc brakes, they are really a no brainer, but also wanted drops. it's basically just an all around "fitness" bike, that isn't depressing to ride a decent distance. it's got quite low rolling resistance and you still get good power transfer, it's very easy to keep a good speed going so you can actually use it to commute.

those shimano pedals are also big enough that you can wear normal shoes without much issue on them. not that you'd go on a serious ride, but it's doable. if you get shoes that work ok to walk in, you will probably stay in those anyway.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,893 Posts
HAHAHA

yours is an xc bike, mine is a cx bike... (cross country vs cyclocross)

nice bike dude. but seriously just go to a bike shop and try on some mtb shoes. make sure you can actually walk in them.

this is what i ride...

·
Registered
14,366 Posts
but seriously just go to a bike shop and try on some mtb shoes. make sure you can actually walk in them.
^^^ this ^^^

Roadie shoes aren't as critical, but you WILL walk in MTB shoes. Carry a chain breaker and spare chain/links too. trust me on this one.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol my bad.

Yeah, I'm picking up the bike some time this week, supposed to be Friday but I'm going to try and get it sooner. Just wanted to get an idea of what I should be looking at while I was in the shop so I don't look like a complete newb.

Post pics of your whips, boys!

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,893 Posts
do you feel that the zertz actually offer any amount of compliance to the ride? or is that just a huge gimmick.

my gf is the real cyclist of the family (she has three, a mtb, road, and tri), but couldn't care less about the techy stuff. i know more about her bikes than she does haha.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I've gotten back into MTBing a couple years ago after riding all the time when I was younger and love it, even raced for the first time last year.

1. Thing is I HATE clipless and even though I've tried over and over to feel comfortable in them it's simply not happening comfort wise so I've decided this year I'm running toe clips on my road bike and flats with 510 shoes for the MTB. Last year at my race I had a younger kid in front of me bog down in the mud and I went down trying to get around him because I couldn't get out in time. Then when you want to walk around the cleats clunk and no matter how hard you try you still walk funny which hurts my back as well. Just not worth it to me.

2. Padded shorts. I have a Fox setup with a padded liner and a speerage "outer" which allows me to wear whatever over. Work great, well worth it. Get two sets, one can dry out while you wear another if you go everyday.

3. For gloves I use Fox fingerless. Like X said palm protection is key, far more than knuckle which is different than motorcycle gloves. Find some that are comfortable and go with those.

Above all if you're new to this TRY STUFF ON LOCALLY BEFORE BUYING. I'm all for ordering online but have a LBS that works with you and you feel comfortable with because no matter what you will need them at some point. And they will help with fit, sizing and what works locally; once you get a good baseline you can start doing more online. There are so many "experts" online that can steer you wrong very easily simply by differing geographic conditions and because you move around so much on a bike, little differences are magnified 10x and you may find something that works great for someone in Colorado sucks in Illinios.

I stumbled on Trek/Gary Fisher 29er bikes a few years ago helping a buddy buy a Trek hybrid and got back into biking after talking to the shop guy about how I had stopped riding because I could never find a fit that worked; at 6'3" I always fell between 20" and 22" and just felt too big. He suggested Fishers middle sizing and 29ers and I've been hooked since. I picked up a Fisher Utopia hybrid to ride with my buddy and then decided I wanted more off road so I tried a bunch and bought and sold a few low-mid level bikes until last winter when I stumbled one night on a Trek Superfly AL for a good price on eBay.

Thought I had such a nice, lightweight bike I'd try racing last fall which was fun; I loved the bike but the shifting just wasn't right all year so what started as a set of XT shifters this winter turned into me building a completely new '14 Superfly 9 from the frame up for this year. Hoping to race more and drop some weight, this is by far my favorite bike I've ridden.

Attachments

·
BOTM Winner 05/15
9,996 Posts
Great thread idea! I am in the market for a MTB this spring, but have no clue what is out there nowadays. Had a nice Cannondale ten years ago, and a decent Trek a few back, but not sure what to get this year. Have thousands of miles of trails around my area, but have utilized them.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Miweber, thanks for the suggestions man. I'll look into it. Any racing footage you care to share? Would be cool to watch!

Chad, I've been eyeing mtb's for quite a while, going through local private classifieds it was hard to find something decent that people didn't want an arm and a leg for.

Then I googled local bicycle shops and I kept checking their, "winter/clearance/sale" section until I came across the bike I bought.

Maybe you should try doing the same, what kind of budget you working with? Hardtail or full suspension? 650 or 29er? Enough choices to make your head spin.

·
BOTM Winner 05/15
9,996 Posts
Mina, there is a bike shop in the next city over that is always running deals, especially on prior model years. Probably going with a HT over FS. The trails around here are pretty well groomed dirt trails, so don't know if I'd need a FS.

Trying to stay in the $1500 range, $2K tops.

Thanks Wibbly, I'll keep them in mind.

·
BOTM Winner 12/16
274 Posts
Regarding the pedals, I prefer shimano

I Always use padded shorts

Even for road biking I used mtb shoes since they seem more comfortable to me

Great thread idea! I am in the market for a MTB this spring, but have no clue what is out there nowadays. Had a nice Cannondale ten years ago, and a decent Trek a few back, but not sure what to get this year. Have thousands of miles of trails around my area, but have utilized them.
I have a basically unused TREK wahoo 29er if you're interested in looking at it some time.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Sweeeet a bicycle thread! I bought a 2012 Trek Superfly hardtail last summer and rode the sh*t out of the thing. Logged about 850 miles in 6 months and eventually ended up cracking the head tube. A known defect, so Trek replaced the frame with a brand new 2014 SuperFly 9.8! I haven't even gotten to ride the new frame yet since it's been bitter cold but from what I understand, this thing rips corners like it's on rails. I can't wait to try it out.

I use SPD pedals and Specialized shoes. I like POC gear (VPD soft knee pads and Trebec helmet).

Best gloves I have found are plain old Mechanix brand. I don't like a heavily padded glove and Mechanix provide just the right amount of protection and are tough as nails.

I definitely recommend shorts with chamois liners. They make all the difference on longer rides.

And my new frame:

1 - 20 of 80 Posts