Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I’m a complete squid/newb I have ridden motorcycles before so now I’m interested in buying one. The thing is I don’t ever plan on selling the bike I’m going to buy. I don’t want to pay 6-7g for a used bike. I live in MN so I can’t drive it year around so it’s only going to be able to be ridden 5-6 months out of the year. It doesn’t bother me at all having a salvage title because I don’t want any retail on the bike. I just want a bike I can ride till I buy a new bike in 4-5 years.

So this is the game plan I located a savage title bike check it out.

http://www.crashedtoys.com/index.php?fuseaction=car.view&id=2485860

I’m going to go to the location and see how the bike runs. From the looks and the description it has fairing damage which is ok because I can buy an aftermarket flaring kit from auctmart if I can’t zip tie the thing together. Replace the right handle bar and rear break.

I’ll get an alpha avid reconstruction for it and get it inspected and get it road worthy again.

I’m also going to get a crash cage because I’m sure I personally will drop it.

After everything I said is there something I should really look for with a dropped/ salvaged bike. I mean the frame looks good and if the engine runs good it should be fine right?

I mean even if I get the bike for 3000 put at most another 1000 into it I have a bike for $4000 an 08 with 2k miles on it instead of 8-9k. I see all these stunters and friends that stunt and beat the sh*t out of their bikes and there fine, well sort of. So a bike that looked like it’s been dropped going what 20-30mph should be ok right?

Or is there something I’m overlooking? I just want everyone input on this anything would be help thanks

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
call the DMV and run the VIN with them before you buy it, so you can make sure that it can be registered and is not permenantly un-registerable. also, check it's not stolen of course. other than that, good luck.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Check things like oil level. Some people over-fill the oil to quite down engine problems. And make sure the tranny still feels smooth and can go into all 6 gears. Drops are hard on the tranny.

·
Registered
260 Posts
i'll take it if you don't, looks pretty sharp, i got my bike used and it still looks rougher than that.

maybe except for the handlebar but thats what clipons are for. check out the clutch area for sure and the forks, anything thats expensive to replace ignore the plastics you cna patch that kinda stuff up with a branding iron.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Dude,
1. Don't admit your a squid before you know what one is.
2. It's really frickin hard to see what you write when its in black.
3. Are you planning on learning to ride this bike properly...?... or just use it to stunt? Crash cages are for stunting. If you are using it for daily riding, don't get a crash cage.
4. If you are new, don't be afraid to ask question's about anything if you don't know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok im a newb lol sorry i thought a squid ment a beginner rider.

what do u mean its hard to read when i write in black? what color should i use on the forums?

i was thinking about geting a crash cage not to stunt but to daily drive so in the case of droping my bike i dont mess it up. not like a super bulky crash cage someing kinda small thats as close to the bike as possible. i mean im such a newb i can see myself stoping at a stop light and thinking im in neutral let go of the clutch and my bike jumps forward and my feet drag forward and i fall over.......

anyways the bikes up to 3g now on the website is it still worth fixing for should i just spend and extra 2-3g and get a used bike. theres another bike im looking at for 6k its an 07 black cbr600rr with 5k miles on it.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
xsmooth you can just get frame sliders instead of the whole crash cage. If you just drop your bike at a stop light they should take the most of the impact. Also good to get are rear swingarm sliders, same idea there.

Also, squid just means you aren't wearing all your gear, don't know why it bothered norm_dev so much, haha.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yo its cause norm_dev is a squid and he doesnt want this newb makin other squids look like noobs, because real, legit straight-G'd up squids know exactly what they are doing.

TUFF love.. cuz

·
Registered
584 Posts
you might want to look at the wera forums as well. A lot of good used bikes that will need much less work to get roadworthy, for about the same price as what you are looking at.
hope this helps

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
xsmooth you can just get frame sliders instead of the whole crash cage. If you just drop your bike at a stop light they should take the most of the impact. Also good to get are rear swingarm sliders, same idea there.

Also, squid just means you aren't wearing all your gear, don't know why it bothered norm_dev so much, haha.
Sorry if I came off harsh guys, I guess I just didn't sugar coat my response. Just tryin to save a newb from some future embarrasement. By the way, welcome xsmooth .....
Good one Tuff............. LOL

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I too will never buy a new bike again.

When checking the frame look at the neck of the bike...and where any other welds are, checking for cracks. Take a look at the swingarm. If it's badly bent chances are the frame will be tweaked. Look at engine mounts too.

Cracked or Bent wheels indicate a pretty serious crash so that can be another thing you want to question. If they aren't bent try to spin the wheels to see that they spin straight, look for wobbles.

Forks are pretty fragile these days so expect to see damage there. Leaks or scratches shouldn't be too big of a problem. Forks can be repaired or replaced. But if you see damage on the forks always go back to looking at the neck.

Look at the Rear shock, in general they are pretty beefy, if that's tweaked there's way more problems to deal with.

Good luck with finding a bike. There are plenty of gems out there.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Umm ahem.. My .02 Cents

I dunno if the guys here looked at the link but its an 08 Graffiti, granted

there's 2500 + miles on it but for 3 grand dude .....if it shifts smooth (ALL GEARS!!) and

there's no knocking sound ..plus and the advice above from those more

experienced than I -- Friggin grab it especially since you sound like your

boys are just tearing their stuff up ,, thats the direction your probablly be

going too .. I thank you for the link... I'll be watchin it it for a stunter,, cause I

aint stuntin my baby ..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
alright well everyone thanks for your help this thread is dead

the bike will probly hit 3500 at the end of the bid its already close to 3000. and ill probly have to spend 1000 to get it fixed. if i just spend another 1500 i can get a bike thats never been droped

im looking at black 2007 5k miles on it for $6300 so i think i can get it down to $6000 repo bike but its flawless

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ya thats tru but i guess ill share the wealth...... this is a great forum anyways plus i dont think its smart for anyone to get this anymore

the thing is going to close at clost to 3200-3500 plus and extra 375 buyers fee plus to subscribe to the forum auction its another 200

then the cost of fixing the bike.......... now it could be possibly close to 5g idk if thats great ontop it costs the tax and like another 100 to get it inspected and get the salvage title off of it and after this the bike is up to like 5000 or so and it has zero resale value if u ever decided to sell it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts