Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been reading a lot of posts lately talking about the "street bike stereotype" So i decided to throw in my 2 cents hear yours.

Let’s be realistic here, we are riding a superbike that goes 0-60 in around 3 sec, we knew what we were getting into.... If I wanted to putt around town I would have gotten a Vespa and so would you. That kind of puts us in a different interest class. It’s a very true generalization, most riders bought a bike for the speed and the adrenaline and face the facts, the majority of riders never even hit a track.. Do the math let’s not be blinded by the angel side shown on .net. But of course there are exceptions, being on this site alone shows that we have a passion for the sport and our sexy sleek babies, which sets us apart from most idiots on bikes these days. I do try to be as safe as possible IE wear full gear, maintain my bike myself religiously, but I do tend to drive a bit more aggressive than the average economy car on the street. Can this be admitted by any one else on this site.

The first step is admitting that you have a problem:spank: :crackup:

·
Banned
216 Posts
I hit 150 mph on mine yesterday, and I live in south georgia, so HELL NO I don't wear my gear every time I ride...It gets 100+ degrees outside...id die of a heatstroke, gear cant help with that...Im as safe as I possibly can be and have a true passion for riding...I never do anything to put myself in danger, except speed...but as long as im aware of my surroundings and im not going super fast around other drivers, I think ill be fine..

·
Registered
138 Posts
...we knew what we were getting into....
I think the problem lies in this. A squid buying his first bike DOESN'T know what they are getting into and buys it for that sleek look, the cool factor and to be able to say how fast it goes. These bikes were made for the track regardless if the owners have the desire or ever make it to the track. That means they were made to turn, and the ones giving the worst reputation to sportbike riders are the ones that don't know how take a turn and are only concerned with going recklessly fast on a freeway so everyone can see how cool they are.

WINNING said:
I hit 150 mph on mine yesterday
I am not sure how that's relevant to the topic. Regardless, I feel that wearing a perforated leather jacket is fine even on a 100* day if you are moving (key word, when stopped its miserable. These bikes aren't made for commuting though). Gear has already saved my body once, I can tell you I won't ride without it, YMMV. Also, the problem with riding around others isn't your skills; its how others don't see you. I have almost gotten hit more times riding casually in traffic then actively trying to move through it because sitting in one place eventually makes me invisible.

·
Banned
216 Posts
Also, the problem with riding around others isn't your skills; its how others don't see you.
thats what I meant..ive been riding seriously for a good 7+ years...ive ridden motorcycles all my life though..since I was old enough to hold one up..and yes, saying I rode it 150mph did have something to do with the topic, because its not relatively "safe" in other peoples eyes, and people see fast=idiotic ...sterotypical..

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes imprez55 street bikes were meant to turn on a track and they can turn quite well yes.. Tracks also have straight aways, some very long so i dont see your point? I believe it was designed to both turn and go straight fast. I still agree with your comment I just think its funny that every one points out that a street bike can turn.

I have also noticed that if you ride with traffic instead of through it it is more dangerous. wearddd

·
Banned
2,603 Posts
Hi. My name is Bubba and I like speed, lane-splitting and adrenaline highs :sad3:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes imprez55 street bikes were meant to turn on a track and they can turn quite well yes.. Tracks also have straight aways, some very long so i dont see your point? I believe it was designed to both turn and go straight fast. I still agree with your comment I just think its funny that every one points out that a street bike can turn.

I have also noticed that if you ride with traffic instead of through it it is more dangerous. wearddd
My point is that the short wheelbase = turns. The straight line riding at top speed simply takes less skill then negotiating a corner properly. If it where designed to go fast is JUST a straight line, then it would have a much longer wheelbase (i.e. extended swingarm, busa's and zx-14's). I would agree that it was designed to go straight fast, otherwise there wouldn't be 6 gears. I was just relating a skill level to style of riding; there is nothing wrong with straight line speed, but if you have to stop to take a turn then it's useless (which usually fits the squid stereotype of not having much skill)

WINNING! said:
thats what I meant..
Ahh, ok. Just some miscommunication.

Also, I saw this a lot today, apparently most squids don't know you are not supposed to support your entire upper body with your arms locked on your handlebars :ponder:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think the problem lies in this. A squid buying his first bike DOESN'T know what they are getting into and buys it for that sleek look, the cool factor and to be able to say how fast it goes. These bikes were made for the track regardless if the owners have the desire or ever make it to the track. That means they were made to turn, and the ones giving the worst reputation to sportbike riders are the ones that don't know how take a turn and are only concerned with going recklessly fast on a freeway so everyone can see how cool they are.

I am not sure how that's relevant to the topic. Regardless, I feel that wearing a perforated leather jacket is fine even on a 100* day if you are moving (key word, when stopped its miserable. These bikes aren't made for commuting though). Gear has already saved my body once, I can tell you I won't ride without it, YMMV. Also, the problem with riding around others isn't your skills; its how others don't see you. I have almost gotten hit more times riding casually in traffic then actively trying to move through it because sitting in one place eventually makes me invisible.

Agree. Wearing my jacket, and riding in traffic when its hot out is terrible. These bikes are not hot weather commuters.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Also, I saw this a lot today, apparently most squids don't know you are not supposed to support your entire upper body with your arms locked on your handlebars :ponder:
I don't know another rider outside of this forum that knows that or knows that your not supposed to keep your butt in the same spot when turning. :crackup:

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm not going to admit that I have a problem because I don't see being an adrenaline junky as a problem.

But I agree with almost everything else. It takes a special person to ride a sportbike and ride it the right way.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My names Goomba and I have a problem...that being said I keep my adrenaline loving self safe by always wearing my gear and not being a squid in general iv rode for basically all my life and have taken a semester long MRSF class and then helped teach it the next semester. These bikes are made to have fun on, but you have to have the skill to do so and keep it on the tracks or take it down a knotch for the street.

Where I live we don't have tracks we have backroads :crackup:....the trick for most is being responsible on them:retard:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah I agree,
It takes a certain amount of skill to ride these things right, and while I dont have full gear (saving up for it), I do ride with at least over ankle leather duty boots,textile jacket, gloves, and helmet. I can't believe how many people even just today alone I saw racing through town on various sport bikes wearing shorts,t's and FLIP FLOPS!!!! .... hitting cray-z speeds at blind intersections, panic stoping cause they were going Way to fast and then when taking off again barely being able to keep it up right and running, but as soon as they got pointed the right direction they hurled themselves recklessly down the road again. Drives me cray-z cause it gives riders that actually have a clue what they are doing a bad name!!! As a gun owner and a motorcyclist its frustrating to have two of my passions always under attack because of stupid people, but unfortunatly even though the stupid ones die off, they keep repopulating at high rates b4 they do!
Now that being said I myself ride more aggressively than most cagers drive. Not really faster , infact even on my new cbr I mostly obey the speed limits, well cept on corners and remote backroads but even then I keep it sane. I hit a deer a few years back and got real lucky, but I also learned real quick what speed, skin, and pavement do when they all combine.

I personally say save the speed and the knee dragging for the track, and on the road ride sane(within reason anyways lol) and enjoy the freedom we have to ride the bikes we can , and enjoy a long life doing so. but hey thats just me.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
I hit 150 mph on mine yesterday, and I live in south georgia, so HELL NO I don't wear my gear every time I ride...It gets 100+ degrees outside...id die of a heatstroke, gear cant help with that...Im as safe as I possibly can be and have a true passion for riding...I never do anything to put myself in danger, except speed...but as long as im aware of my surroundings and im not going super fast around other drivers, I think ill be fine..

100? ****, try 120 degrees, full gear sir

and 150+? im guessing on public roadways? yea, REAL safe

not very winning

·
i love juggggggggzzz
7,498 Posts
dude you say some of the dumbest sh!t i have read on this forum in a long time.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
im sure everybody in this forum that rides in the street has at some point gone over the speed limit i mean thats the reason we buy these toys because of what they can do right? im not gonna say im the safest rider cause im not but the wearing your gear all the time is just something that for me is something you should do everytime your on your bike, to the people that say they dont i can almost assure you that you have never gone down wearing your t-shirt cause if you had you wouldnt ever ride without gear again. trust me road rash in not fun!!! i know what yall are gonna say everybody is free to choose what they wear when they ride and i agree but after a fall you wont think the same, even monkeys know not to do the same things after getting hurt..

·
Banned
2,603 Posts

Whoa I've never gone over 133mph and that was at the speedway. Full gear is a must, though, even in the deserts around here. I open up all the zipper vents in my gear and try to stay moving.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
I'm not going to admit that I have a problem because I don't see being an adrenaline junky as a problem.

But I agree with almost everything else. It takes a special person to ride a sportbike and ride it the right way.

are you saying im special???? :ciao:

thanks!!!! :shakehand

·
Registered
277 Posts

·
Friendly Neighborhood Whore
4,993 Posts
Subscribed :popcorn:
That is all

1 - 20 of 54 Posts