Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This info is directly from the manufacturers, just condensed.

Lets pick 10W40 apart. The W actually stands for Winter, NOT weight. The 10 is rated at how hard the oil is to pump when the OIL is at zero degrees Celsius compared to how hard water is to pump. There are thickeners in the oil and that's what the 40 is for, the viscosity of engine oil at operating temperature. Which is 100 degree's Celsius (or 212 F)

So don't be afraid to run 5W40, it's actually better for the engine and gas mileage since you know you don't wait until it reaches 212 degree's before you start riding. The temp gauge starts at what, 93 degrees?

Regardless of what ANYONE has ever said do NOT run car engine oils in your motorcycle (i.e. castrol GTX) it has friction modifiers in it that don't work with our wet clutch. ALWAYS use engine oil with JASO T903 and MA or MA2. They say higher than API SG which goes in alphabet, so SH is higher than SG. SM is the highest. Oddly enough diesel engine oil is rated with JASO and MA so feel free to use it! Most popular is Rotella :( which is shell/pennzoil and there are plenty of bad rumors out there about them.

Me? I use Castrol and recommend Mobil 1 which oddly enough both are available at Wal-Mart and O-Reilly's. I use Castrol RS 4T Racing 5W40 with a WIX oil filter (because they are the best built oil filters, research it: http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterStudy.html)

·
Registered
755 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
I can't get any bike oil at my walmart.... Which Mobile 1 exactly are you using?
Rotella T6 Synthetic in the blue bottle
-or-
Rotella 15w-40 conventional

Both have a JASO MA rating on the back of the bottle.

"Motorcycle" oils are usually an aisle or two over, where they put boat crap for some reason or another. The Mobil 1 you're looking for will be the 5w-40 "4T" version. It'll have a picture of a sportbike on it.

·
BOTM Winner 09/12 Repsol DaRizzo And Don't U Forg
17,681 Posts
Rotella T6 Synthetic in the blue bottle
-or-
Rotella 15w-40 conventional

Both have a JASO MA rating on the back of the bottle.

"Motorcycle" oils are usually an aisle or two over, where they put boat crap for some reason or another. The Mobil 1 you're looking for will be the 5w-40 "4T" version. It'll have a picture of a sportbike on it.
Just got t6 for my bike. Switched from amsoil cuz it was a lil expensive

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

1 - 10 of 10 Posts