Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Camera lens Motor vehicle Reflex camera Goggles Hood

Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Auto part Motor vehicle Camera lens

Hello all. Someone tried to break into the lock of my 2008CBR600RR and I’m trying see if I can fix all the damage myself. The person seems to have come back and work on the lock again but still couldn’t break it. I have since secured the bike inside. The picture i took earlier had something in the keyhole. The second picture is couple days later after i took out the piece of metal in the keyhole. In the second picture there seems to be more damage on the metal steering arm around the lock. Maybe that will need to be changed as well along with the ignition lock and also the gas tank lock. If anyone has any resources regarding this, I’d appreciate you sharing. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I've replaced a bunch of ignitions on these. The 600RR is among the easiest sport bikes to replace the ignition on because the wiring runs just along the right side of the bike. On most bikes (all Suzukis for example) it runs under the airbox so you have to remove that to get at the plug to change the ignition.

Here's a link to an eBay item that has what you need or at least shows what it looks like from the bottom.

It doesn't look like your upper triple is damaged where it would have to be replaced but you may want to since it looks like crap. You'll have to replace the gas cap if you want to use the same key on both, though you could use your existing key for the gas cap and a different one for the ignition. Just make sure you keep them both on the same keychain.

You're basically going to buy an ignition (used on eBay or new) and possibly a top triple. It also looks like you need the little ignition cap, though it's not necessary. It's just for looks.

Pop off the top triple to which the ignition attaches, unplug it at the right side plug. If you're replacing both then you can throw this away. If you're only replacing the ignition you will have to remove your existing to reuse the top triple. It's held on with tamper proof screws seated with red threadlocker. It requires a special bit to turn these or use an easy-out if you don't plan to reuse the screws.

Many used ignitions (and ignitions sets with gas cap and seat lock) available on eBay.

It's easier work if you remove the windscreen and nose fairing piece but can be done with those in place.

PM me if you have specific questions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bat-1 Thank you for such a detailed message and including the detailed instructions, part names and some confidence that it can be done! I appreciate it a lot. Will def reach out for guidance if I get stuck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts