Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Theft

1K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Ares 
#1 ·
Friday the 7th around 10 PM I parked my bike ('04 Black/Silver 600RR I picked up on April 10th) in its usual spot in my covered parking space (meaning a roof and no sides) at my apartment complex at school (Purdue University - West Lafayette, IN). Saturday morning I get up and get packing to go home for the summer and finally about 2:30 PM go to get my bike to load it up on the trailer. I walk to my spot, key in hand, to find it... missing.

I asked every single neighbor in the area if they'd seen anything that night, asked the property owner if anything had been towed, and called the towing companies in the area just to check... nothing. All that was seen is that it wasn't there when someone left for a final at 10 AM.

I knew I should have had a lock on it, but kept thinking to myself, "There's never been any thefts around here, it's basically a suburb of students and I park right next to an '03 SV650 and F4i, neither of which have locks, and previously parked my Katana here, it should be fine." Less than 30 days and 260 miles later (due to poor weather only), I wake up to find it missing. Luckily I had insurance, so it'll be replaced, but I'm also missing out on all the great weather that just started the Friday I last rode it, and for another 20some days before insurance will finally cut me a check.

What I wanna know is, what can a thief really do with a stolen bike? They can't register it, can't ride it around without plates (temp tag expired the next day), leaving their only option being to part it out... but is there really a market for hot parts for a model that's only been around 2 years?

I don't understand what these people think when they decide to load up someone's bike in the back of their truck in the middle of the night. That's so evil, risky, and can't see it providing that much profit. So what's the point? I just wish I would've taken that drunken walk with my friends around 3 AM and caught them in the act. Woulda been my first chance to crack a bottle over someone's head and beat the living $#!^ out of them.

I hate thieves... :cursin:

See less See more
#3 ·
part it out, prices now on parts are at a premium. if it were a big bore big, i'd say they use it for stunting, but in the RR's case i'd say it's going to used as a tool to tear up your local tracks. Some well organized and ballsy people can forge vin's and register it "legitimately".

but most likely:
parts
stuntin
trackdays

Sorry to hear about that man, that's the bike i want. Makes sure to invest in a strong cable/lock.

#4 ·
I hope the thief rides it at a trackday personally and smashes into the wall, not killing him, but leaving him permanently paralyzed from the neck down... and I get to read about it in the newspaper with a picture of what's left of my bike. I'd clip it and hang it on my wall. Probably even go and visit him in the hospital just to tell him he got what he deserved. Mean, but you get no sympathy from me when you steal ANYONE'S bike. If you can tell, I'm not real happy about the situation, that thing was my baby...

#5 ·
Look on Ebay. You might find it there. As much stuff as I have bought on ebay I am sure something has had to have been stolen. They can sell everything on that bike. To them it is free money

#6 ·
Sorry to hear that man... sux big time!!! Especially those plastics, they worth a lot of money. Maybe you should consider a big Krypton chain and really locking it down to a fixture. Get an alarm that will page you if it's been tampered with. Better luck next time.

#7 ·
All it takes to re register a bike or any motor vehicle is very simple, find a totaled version of the same, buy it. Change Vin's with your unfortunately stolen bike, re activate the title as a salvage title, wah lah, they now have a legit (not) bike they can sell for close to market value because if you look around, a lot (probably close to 40%) of used bikes from independant dealers are salvage. Its really that simple. I worked at a body shop in the early 90's for a while until it got hit with law enforcement of all types for the exact same thing with sports cars. Myself and 2 other guys out of 15 or so people who worked there knew nothing of this and got off scott free thank god. The others went to jail for a long time but prior to a slipup, I guess they were making bank because they partied like rockstars nightly. That sucks bro and though I doubt they will, I hope like hell they find who did it. :evil:

#8 ·
i feel for ya, that is one major reason i woudl never want to live at an apartment complex and two one that doesn't have a covered garage that is my own garage spot, otherwise iw oudl just keep the bike at someone elses hoouse :bounce:

#9 ·
Yeah, I hope they catch 'em, too... Although I'm not sure I'd want my bike back after it's been through an ordeal like that. I thought the apartment complex was safe seeing that there are over 15 bikes there and none have ever been touched, no thefts in the area or anything. Too bad I was the first with my BRAND SPANKIN NEW bike. :( I'm definately getting a Kryptonite chain for the new one and locking it to the covered parking post that's embedded in concrete. Then they have no choice next time but to steal the unlucky fellow's bike that parks next to me. At least that'd be the obvious choice. :)

Any suggestions on what Kryptonite chain to get?

#11 ·
CHAINING REAR WHEEL WILL NOT PREVENT THEFT!!!!

They took off my rear wheel and left it and the krypto lock :evil: on my 96 Gixxer 750.

You have to chain thru the frame or other solid area.

Besides being paranoid about my new bike 04 Gixxer 750 I have the Scorpio SR-i500 paging alarm and Krypto Noose lock.

Lock it or lose it!!

Peace

#15 ·
you cant use past experience with present circumstances...... your katana didnt get stolen cuz a thief probably would have a better chance parting out or stunting a schwinn.

anyways sorry to here about your loss... but if i ever had to leave my bike in those type of circumstances it would definately have some sort of lock on it. i would probably even rent a storage space. i just dont trust stupid ass college kids ( im one myself) around my bike. kids walk around all drunk and broke as fukk so its just a disaster waiting to happen. the only place i trust my bike for an extended period of time is at work cuz the motorcycle parking is right next to the guard shack.

hope ya get back to riding soon.... who was your insurance through? are you still gonna get another black one or are you gonna switch up the color.

#16 ·
If you're gonna chain it do it through the swingarm, and put a disk lock on the front. Its all about making it inconvenient for the thieves, then they'll prey on someone else.

I agree with Mecca2, If I didn't have a garage, I'd rent a storage space. If I couldn't afford a storage space, I'd park it in my living room. If I couldn't afford somewhere to live, I'd handcuff myself to it outside and sleep in a box.

#17 ·
I know people who locally who are supposedly involved in putting together wrecked bikes with stolen goods. I haven't turned anyone in because a) I don't know names (Don't want to know names....don't really even associate with these people since I found out what they like to do). and b) when I get a bike I'd like to know where's the 1st bike to start looking.

They don't typically mess with 600's.....they are usually hunting for Gixxers (1000) or Hayabusa's. Probably are squids.

#18 ·
I live in an Apt. complex and I keep mine in an undisclosed space that no one will ever know about! As far as your bike.... count it gone. It will probably be on a track real soon without you being able to prove it.

Sorry to hear what hapened, but I have heard enough stories from friends to know better. Too easy to load a bike up.. ya know.

#19 ·
Yeah, I suspect this thing is gone for good. Already been looking into what I can do about security once I get a new bike, thinking a Kryptonite chain that's long enough to lock it to the pole supporting the cover for the parking space. Run it through the rear wheel, swingarm, and around the pole. Only way to get it then would be to rip the bike apart just to leave with the front of the bike, in which case any bike thief would simply look at the SV650 sitting beside it and go, "Hmm... think I'll take that one instead."

As for where I'm living, it's actually a pretty nice spot away from campus and this is the first case of any type of major theft there. There's been plenty of times when we've just left our doors unlocked at night or sometimes when we're just out for an hour and have had no worries.

I'm through Progressive currently just cause it was easy at the time when I got the insurance (when insuring the Katana it was $300 a year for what I needed), so I simply replaced the bike on the policy and paid the difference. I'm taking a riding course this summer which will allow me to get my license and most likely a discount on insurance. As soon as the Progressive policy is about to run out I was gonna shop around for the best price. As far as handling the claim, they've done fine so far and I'll most likely end up getting a new black/silver again with all the parts I had already replaced as well. I was in love with that bike in that color. :cry:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.