Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am learning how to do clutched 1st gear wheelies. My buddies were watching me the other day and they said I am dropping it too high. The only way I can get my bike up is to cruise at about 17-20MPH, rev it up to 10k and pop the clutch. My buddies say I shoul dbe droppin it at 7k. My bike doesn't go up at this RPM. I figure it's cuz I'm a big guy (240 LBS').

So my question is, am I learning wheelies "wrong" or is 10k OK for 1st gear clutched wheelies?

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wynngripRR, thx for the suggestion, I read the stickies prior to posting, but they don't answer the question. I'm asking, specifically, if dropping the clutch at a specific RPM is going to have a negative impact over dropping the clutch at the "standard" RPM's. Is it going to cause parts to break/wear more than normal wheelies? What about control? Control seems very difficult at the higher power level but maybe that's due to learning...

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Well... Consitering I'm 250-255 (depending what day it is) I can do pow-pow-power wheelies in 1st gear.. I can also power it up in 2nd... but sometimes that takes a lot of work.. keep trying, you'll get it.. when I first started learning how to wheelie..my bike was brand new. 3000 miles later, my clutch was junk. So no more clutching for me

·
Registered
909 Posts
try shutting down the throttle and then pull back on the bars and gas using first gear, i think its easier and more safe on the bike.

·
Registered
615 Posts
RevDup said:
Well... Consitering I'm 250-255 (depending what day it is) I can do pow-pow-power wheelies in 1st gear.. I can also power it up in 2nd... but sometimes that takes a lot of work.. keep trying, you'll get it.. when I first started learning how to wheelie..my bike was brand new. 3000 miles later, my clutch was junk. So no more clutching for me
is clutching her up that bad for your clutch?? i've been learning to clutch recetnly just cuz i hate being at over 8000 rpms to power her up.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
your clutch will last fine.

as for people telling you it's "wrong"...**** that. Whatever works for you works.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Not tryin to be a ****, but you really have to abuse the clutch to destroy it in 3000 miles... Like, tear it up leaving it half way out. Dropping the clutch won't be as bad on the clutch as it isn't burning... leaving it half way engaged is the only way to really trash it within 20K miles. Of course, from reviews I've read, it's entirely possible to trash your clutch in a day or two of really amatuer launches at a drag strip.... anyway I beat the hell out of mine, and it's as strong as it was the day I first used it, I'm at around 8000 miles now.

Clutch wheelies are always safer!

RevDup said:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Some tell me my clutch might have been defective.. don't know tho.. it was outside of warranty.. but yeah, I don't like clutching in 1st because it comes up too wicked and fast .. power is nice and smooth for me.. I use clutch on low 2nd and 3rd. Like the other guys say.. keep practicing and do whatever works for you, just make sure you have your clutch set right.. that always helps lol :)

Hey, Drmikegallant: amatuer launches at the dragstrip.. How do I lauch? This weekend is going to be my first time at the strip, and I don't want to make a fool of myself lol. I'm -1 +3 ... some say use 2nd.. other say use 1st. Any advice?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts