Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE: Think I should have bought a Honda

Well, I bought a Suzuki 750 a little while back, it only has about 300 miles on it. I have been meticulous with the break in. A few weeks ago on the first hot day I rode, I noticed a small puddle of coolant under the bike. I took it to the dealer since I needed to get it inspected anyway and mentioned it to them. They checked to coolant level, topped it off and told me to keep an eye on it. Well, on Sunday I took the bike out for a ride and as soon as I merge onto the highway, I notice the temp light flashing. I immediately pull the bike over and shut it down. Sure enough, there is coolant all over the bottom of my bike.

While I am waiting for help, I look over the bike and I notice that the 1/2" hose that connects the radiator to the engine block is completely disconnected from the block.

First, I am really pissed by the fact that I could have died if I was turning when it happened. Now I am really concerned that there may be permanent damage to the bike. I am sure that a quick temperatuire change cannot be good for the engine, particularly if the heating is not uniform.

Those of you with a lot of engine experience, what should I have them check? I think I am going to try to have Suzuki give me an extended warranty for the bike. I am really worried about the fact that I could have problems down the road. What are your thoughts?

UPDATE: Well for those of you not familiar with my situation, my 06 GSX-R750 was dripping some coolant a while back, I brought into the dealer that day and they quickly looked at it, did not take the fairing off, topped off the coolant, and sent me on my way saying to keep an eye on it. Not too long after, while on the highway, a primary coolant hose going to the engine block came completely off, drenching my rear tire in coolant and overheating the bike.

I pulled the bike over (carefully) and did the repairs to my bike myself on the side of the highway. I brought the bike back to the dealer and they did what they could for diagnostics and also changed the oil, filter, and distilled water I had used to refill the radiator. None of these tests can indicate whether any long term damage was done to the bike. What I asked Suzuki for was extended warranty coverage on this bike. It was clearly their mistake (missed by them at the factory and also the dealer), it could have caused me to lose control of the motorcycle, has already cost me time having to repair the bike on the side of the highway and wait for it to cool, and now if I do have a problem which is symptomatic of this occurrence I am sure I am going to have to plead my case.

I saw this resolution as a relatively low risk solution for Suzuki. I would think this is a very rare problem, I do no track time on this bike so its engine is not stressed, and a warranty itself costs them nothing. If they believe they build a quality product and if they valued their customer I would have to believe that they would feel this was a reasonable request. I was wrong. They will do nothing. Had I been going around a turn when the disconnect happened, I likely would have lost control of the bike and could have been seriously hurt or killed.

I'm pretty upset about this. Anyone have any suggestions on ways to proceed or to carry this up the chain? Their unwillingness to allay my concerns regarding my bike and to in someway compensate me for their error and my difficulties with their product has me second guessing my bike purchase and will likely have me looking elsewhere for my next motorcycle.

N

·
0 Posts
umgrad76 said:
Well, I bought a Suzuki 750 a little while back, it only has about 300 miles on it. I have been meticulous with the break in. A few weeks ago on the first hot day I rode, I noticed a small puddle of coolant under the bike. I took it to the dealer since I needed to get it inspected anyway and mentioned it to them. They checked to coolant level, topped it off and told me to keep an eye on it. Well, on Sunday I took the bike out for a ride and as soon as I merge onto the highway, I notice the temp light flashing. I immediately pull the bike over and shut it down. Sure enough, there is coolant all over the bottom of my bike.

While I am waiting for help, I look over the bike and I notice that the 1/2" hose that connects the radiator to the engine block is completely disconnected from the block.

First, I am really pissed by the fact that I could have died if I was turning when it happened. Now I am really concerned that there may be permanent damage to the bike. I am sure that a quick temperatuire change cannot be good for the engine, particularly if the heating is not uniform.

Those of you with a lot of engine experience, what should I have them check? I think I am going to try to have Suzuki give me an extended warranty for the bike. I am really worried about the fact that I could have problems down the road. What are your thoughts?
Here's a thought: Sell it to me less $2000!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
im sure that its fine. as long as you shut her down as soon as you realized it.
Change your oil and and check that oil for breakdown/foaming (feel it between your fingers you can usually see when oil has been foamed up), look for fluid in the oil (let it sit so any lighter liquid will be at the top, or material (metal or grit) if you got all 3 of those, you might wanna have a pro take a look.

The mechanics should have inspected the hoses to your block and from your radiator, i would def. bring that up with them...
oh yeah, inspect and repair all coolant hoses, flush yer cooling system and refill , you might wanna hose her down (with a cool engine) to get rid of that coolant / overheat smell when she fires up again.

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
I think the bike should be fine...My concern is that you said you let the dealership know about the potential problem and they let you take the bike home..
If they left that hose lose that would really bother me ...

I would take it back to them and explain in a "reasonable" manner that their so called check up could have cost you your ass. Don't get angry at them cause that will get you nowhere.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll be bringing the bike to the dealer for a thorough go over. I'll have them change the oil while they are at it.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree. I will maintain my temper and see what they are willing to do. I think I would like to discuss the issue with their manager. I'd rather not have to tell the story twice.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
definately change oil. oil breaks down at unsual hot temp, and won't be able to protect your engine the way it's supposed to. have them take the fairings off and tank off and make sure all other hoses are securely connected and tied down to where they're supposed to be.

my best advice for you is that you go to the dealership around 2pm Saturday afternoon and talk in LOUD, but calm controlled manner infront of other customers. Ask them questions and demand a resolution from them.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
charles722 said:
my best advice for you is that you go to the dealership around 2pm Saturday afternoon and talk in LOUD, but calm controlled manner infront of other customers. Ask them questions and demand a resolution from them.
the customer is always right! LOL!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPS757pf said:
Useful advice? Could you have found this disconnected hose on your pre-ride inspection?
It came disconnected during the ride. When the engine is under load (acceleration, like when I was merging onto the highway) the pressure pushed the loose hose off. If the hose was disconnected prior to the start of the ride and considering that the hose is at least 1/2" in diameter, there would have been a huge puddle under my bike. I think I would have noticed that.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I'd definately be throwing down with that dealership.

If you have a coolant leak (especially since it's slippery) and they just tell you to go ride it and if it keeps on leaking to worry about it, that's a major issue. If it's leaking enough that you brought it in, they need to be looking at it then, not later.

However, if I were in your shoes, knowing this information, I would have certainly taken off the side fairings and done some inspection with the bike running. It should have been very evident where the leak was coming from. Perhaps your not very mechanically inclined, and that's just fine... but in that case, the dealership certainly did not take care of you as a customer.

As far as the engine, I'm sure that everything is fine. I'd do just like was stated above and get the oil changed out before too many more miles, but I doubt you did any damage.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Well as much as we hate to admit it somtimes $h!t happens. We just hate it when it happens to our baby. The factory leaving a hose clamp loose is just one of those things that occasionaly happens. Shoud the Service Dept. found it? Absolutely. So you have a legitimate bitch with your Service Writer. At this point there's no need to go over his/her head and plead your case with the manager. You will only step on thier toes.

Take the bike back to the dealer and ask to speak with the Service Writer that is listed on your previous ticket. Explain what happened in a calm assertive voice and let them know that this is unacceptable. Request that the bike be thoroughly inpsected for tightness of all of the bolts and hose clamps. Ask that they drain the oil in your presence so you can witness the condition of the oil. It doesn't matter whether you actually know what you're looking for in the oil or not. They don't know that. Just look it over very intensely. Stick you finger in the oil and rub it between your fingers. Then smell it. If you see any grey or coolant "bubbles" floating around in the oil ask that Corporate Suzuki be contacted and a complaint to be filed on your behalf. If there's water in the oil you could have a serious problem. So bring your digital camera just in case. I don't know how long you ran it hot but if it went too long you could have cracked the head, a cylinder wall, or the block from overheating it. Hopefully it didn't go that far and you shut the bike off in time. But it's something that you need to look out for.

**Take pictures of the hose and puddle before you take it to the dealer**

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't have a pick-up truck so the only way I would be able to get the bike to the dealer is to ride it or to borrow a truck (a pain in the ass). Would it be bad for the bike to make the 20 minute ride to the dealership. I've reattached and tightened the hose and the radiator is currently filled with distilled water. Would running the bike at this time hide anything that had gotten into the oil?

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
umgrad76 said:
I don't have a pick-up truck so the only way I would be able to get the bike to the dealer is to ride it or to borrow a truck (a pain in the ass). Would it be bad for the bike to make the 20 minute ride to the dealership. I've reattached and tightened the hose and the radiator is currently filled with distilled water. Would running the bike at this time hide anything that had gotten into the oil?
Not at this point. But I would be DAMN sure you have no current leaks and your tires are coolant free. Have someone follow you and be careful in the turns.

I would actually pull the plastics and take picturres of any standing coolant puddles within the block. Then wash the motor off to make sure you have no coolant that will spill out while you're riding. You really should make thier a$$es come pick the bike up at thier expense. They shouldn't have left you in this position.

·
Registered
336 Posts
umgrad76 said:
If you bought a Honda brand new, you automatically get a 1 year membership to Honda Rider's Club of America. One of the benefit of an HRCA card is roadside assistances. :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
so because you had one problem with your zuki, you think you should have purchased a honda???

seems a little petty... stuff happens, it could have just as easily been a honda that happened to.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
shortyR6 said:
so because you had one problem with your zuki, you think you should have purchased a honda???

seems a little petty... stuff happens, it could have just as easily been a honda that happened to.
The thread title was really more of a joke for a "Honda" forum. Don't take it literally.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts