Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 03 600 RR,in my area. I been borrowing my cousins bike a 04 600 RR and i'm in love!!! The only thing that worries me is that the bike has 42,000 miles however it rus great and is really mint. He was asking $3500.00 but i talked him down to $3200.00,do you think it is worth it guys? Im a car guy mainly and the only bikes i owned in the past were a couple junk suzuki 500's.

·
Registered
43 Posts
We dont know where this guy lives so it is hard to comment if the price is high. I have 37000 miles on my 03 and still runs great so the miles might not be problem either. These bikes are usually crashed before the engine breaks.

·
Registered
501 Posts
i don't think the mileage matters that much if it has been taken care of and how it has been ridden. if everything was well maintained 3200 isnt a bad buy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have an 03 and it doesn't seem heavy to me. The only thing that's a turn off is the 42,000miles that is some serious riding! Mine only has 15,300 to put it in perspective.

·
C.F.A. member / whore
1,693 Posts
although I think the mileage is high its a great first bike, almost identical to the 04 you're riding now. we have forum members here nearing or above 80k miles.

and an 06 for 3500 is unheard of at this time... unless its a salvage title or something... i'd say if you trust the guy go for it you can always upgrade later.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think im gonna do it,he's an older guy,seems honest,the bike is virgin on parts besides maintence,and its more mint than than bikes i looked at with 6000 miles on it. I mite try and get him down to 2800 first,lol...

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
id pay 1500 for it most. u can get a 06 for 3500... plus they are heavy as hell..just save up and buy newer model
+1 ... WTF are you talking about? Heavy as hell? .... unless you have owned an 03/04 don't comment on weight cuz you don't make any sense really. Ajay, please stop giving people bad advice.. wrx-luvr- an 03/04 is a great RR if thats what your in the market for. Definately try to talk him down in price some more, don't be too afraid of the miles on the bike.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought my 03 with 29,xxx miles on her. As far as the weight of the bike, I have two friends that ride a 06 gixxer and a 09 ninja. Both say my bike feels alot lighter than theirs when riding.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
id pay 1500 for it most. u can get a 06 for 3500... plus they are heavy as hell..just save up and buy newer model
+1 ... WTF are you talking about? Heavy as hell? .... unless you have owned an 03/04 don't comment on weight cuz you don't make any sense really. Ajay, please stop giving people bad advice.. wrx-luvr- an 03/04 is a great RR if thats what your in the market for. Definately try to talk him down in price some more, don't be too afraid of the miles on the bike.
A question for normal deviation, have you owned a 2003/04?

Well guess what....

I own a 03 rr and ajay is right, it is heavy as hell!!! I sat on a brand new R1 Valentino Rossi edition and that has a 1000cc motor.... The R1 weigh soo much less than my 03! I would have bought that bike in the showroom 2 weeks ago but eh...I like my 03 rr better :) I feel like the bike chose me and I chose her.

I also sat on a 2007+ gsxr600 and gsx1000 and that was lighter than my bike too. I don't really remember what happened when I sat on the 07 and newer rr models though so I can't compare (I think last time I sat was on the graffiti model when it came out back in 07-08). I also never sat on the cbr1000rr so I can't compare that either!

EDIT: I will experiment more and bring my bike to the dealership and compare with all bikes including ducati

Overall, I believe that better technology and designs lead to even lighter bikes than the 03. The 03 was just the beginning of the CBR600RR series so honda was just trying to put out a racing replica out in the streets to see what it would do. It became a success and now four generations later, it has major changes and technology (03/04, 05/06, 07/08, and 09/10) I believe that the bike is still a bike and makes unbelievable power even the 03. All will go well over 120 if you want it to. It is all about what you really want and what design you want.

TO the OP,

Buy the bike if you really really want it. It is about your choice not what other people say.....but I will have some things to say if you want to consider your purchase.

I think it is a rip off to be honest for the amount of mileage. I would keep shopping and you will find the bike you will want to own.

Here is a $3500 cbr600rr yellow in MA or boston area that is the same exact as mine (in color) except the ad says 15,000 miles.

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/mcy/1675967239.html

Another one in Lincoln, NE for $3250 except it is black and has 10,400 miles.

http://lincoln.craigslist.org/mcy/1673690948.html

If you just keep looking, I am sure you will find an awesome deal!

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
$1500 for an RR? maybe for a gixxer yeah, but not a Honda :lol:
maybe you're talking about crashed bikes. for a well taken care of CBR the resale value stays higher than salvaged ones.

the 03/04's arent much heavier than the 05/06's, just a few pounds if i'm not mistaken.

i don't think the mileage matters that much if it has been taken care of and how it has been ridden. if everything was well maintained 3200 isnt a bad buy.
Werd. my bike has 25k and is like brand new. should really be more like 40k since i used to ride 10k miles a year. If a bike is well taken care off, they can go past 100k easily

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I bought my 03 with 29,xxx miles on her. As far as the weight of the bike, I have two friends that ride a 06 gixxer and a 09 ninja. Both say my bike feels alot lighter than theirs when riding.
That is what your friends say, have you sat on both of them? Let us know your experience.....I thought for sure though that the 2008 Ninja 250R was heavy....

·
Registered
763 Posts
A question for normal deviation, have you owned a 2003/04?

Well guess what....

I own a 03 rr and ajay is right, it is heavy as hell!!! I sat on a brand new R1 Valentino Rossi edition and that has a 1000cc motor.... The R1 weigh soo much less than my 03! I would have bought that bike in the showroom 2 weeks ago but eh...I like my 03 rr better :) I feel like the bike chose me and I chose her.

I also sat on a 2007+ gsxr600 and gsx1000 and that was lighter than my bike too. I don't really remember what happened when I sat on the 07 and newer rr models though so I can't compare (I think last time I sat was on the graffiti model when it came out back in 07-08). I also never sat on the cbr1000rr so I can't compare that either!
That's funny because the 2010 R1 is heavier than the 2003 600rr (wet weights). The '07 600rr is in the range of 15lbs lighter than the 03.

You weren't sitting on lighter bikes, you were sitting on bikes with different points of weight distribution.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
That's funny because the 2010 R1 is heavier than the 2003 600rr (wet weights). The '07 600rr is in the range of 15lbs lighter than the 03.

You weren't sitting on lighter bikes, you were sitting on bikes with different points of gravity.
True true, I forgot about my physics class...the test is on thursday and we already studied about gravity :)

OKAY, so I did research.....here is what the specs says....

The 2010 R1 is 454 lbs dry
The 2010 cbr600rr wet 410 lbs
The 07 cbr600rr wet 412 lbs
The 07 cbr600rr 383 lbs dry
The 06 cbr600rr wet is 430 lbs
The 03 cbr600rr is 370 lbs dry
The 03 cbr600rr is 439 lbs wet

This is really weird results!!! The 2003 is lighter than the 2007 dry??? But when you put fuel and oil in 03 I wonder how much difference....

EDIT: I looked in the service manual for my bike and found out it was 439 lbs wet...

The article from motorcycle usa claims:

"Full of fuel, Honda claims the '07 CBR600RR weighs in at 412 lbs compared to 430 lb for the '06, revealing a significant 18-lb loss. If these figures are correct then, sans fuel, the '07 should tip the scales at a petite 383 lbs, making it easily the lightest in class. (The flyweight of last year's Supersport Shootout IV was the Triumph Daytona 675 that scaled in at 390 lbs.) On the track, the new bike feels light and responsive despite batting through the precipitation while trying to tap into this bike's potential

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/115/276/Motorcycle-Article/2007-Honda-CBR600RR-First-Ride.aspx

Got the specs of 03 from here

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/2003/146_03_honda_cbr600rr_specs/index.html

EDIT: I see you change the wording .....makes more sense like how the bike has dry and wet weights amount....

and the dealer didn't put any oil or gas in the R1 so it makes sense that it feels light...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts