1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just recently went thru the Trailer buying excercise. I ended up with a 5x10, wood floor, with 17" wheels from Northern Tool. Kind of lucked out since they could not verify a price and I ended up paying $579.00 for it.

First question you need to ask if you are hauling on the highway or just around the block. The small wheels will cause a-lot of trailer swing and it will not track behind you well. Need to get the largest wheels possible.

Second, bolt together frames are ok, but will not last as long sitting in the backyard the 364 days that you are not using it.

Third, The wheel chock will not mount well to the expaneded metal. It will bouce around a lot. Also the expaneded metal will also rust out quicker than warping boards.

Final, The size you have picked out is for the overall length and not the deck.

Putting a bike worth a couple grand on something that you saved a couple hundered on, well just doesnt seem like a good idea. Get the best you can afford, but do look at the Northern Tool wood decks. See if you can get the same deal I got since they didnt have it in the system or in the catalog.

Remember big wheels, solid deck, and welded frame. You will be happier and more confident when pulling it behind you.

The wheel chock, I am going by tommorrow to see one of those. I like it alot better than the bent tube steel ones you see for the same price. I want to see how easy it will be to mount and dismount off the trailer deck.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I have a 6x4 trailer that I use for carrying my bike's. It is of steel & wood construction however, I have reinforced the load area & tail gate with 6mm ali checker plate. I also have 4 x tie downs on each side & 3 tiedowns on each end. Cost me £43 (about $80 on ebay).

You can use anything as long as the speed is kept down & the bike is securely lashed.

On that trailer you have thinking of I would put steel or ali across the floor & also the front & rear. I'd do this to stop my bike getting covered in dirt everytime it gets trailered

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone else wanna chime in? Thanks so far.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I bought the cheaper foldable trailor with the 12" wheels from harbor freight for 219.00. I then made a wood floor using 3/4" wax embedded plywood for all-weather durability. I also purchased the motorcycle wheel chock. The whole setup works great--perfect for hauling around the bike. I even took it on a cross-country trip (GA to MN) without any problem.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Your bike looks pretty mean, but with the mods it must not corner very well? I had a friend who did the same with his busa and couldnt make a turn without the frame grinding the road and hit a telephone pole and he didnt live through it which made up my mind to leave my 08 stock. but it sure is a sweet look

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your bike looks pretty mean, but with the mods it must not corner very well? I had a friend who did the same with his busa and couldnt make a turn without the frame grinding the road and hit a telephone pole and he didnt live through it which made up my mind to leave my 08 stock. but it sure is a sweet look
Whats up man. I see you're in LA as well. The bike is not mine. Its just a pic I found online. As you see in this post, I'm thinking if I should purchase a trailer or just rent one. Sounds like your friend should have done some custom work to at least prevent rashing up the frame.

Anyway, I'm thinking about buying another bike and possibly stretching the swingarm and adding some Carrozzerias'.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
there is no way id put my bikes on that trailer.
those tires are so small, im sure the bearing assemblies and axles are too.

buy something heavier duty IMO.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Stretching the swingarm on the 600RR makes me hurl.:puke: I really hate posers like that...of course the chrome goes along with it too. LOL

As far as the trailer, if you are looking for something cheap like that you best reinforce it like others have. There are some good deals out there, you just want to avoid the flimsy ones. If you are purchasing through a company tell them what you re using it for to see if they have suggestions.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stretching the swingarm on the 600RR makes me hurl.:puke: I really hate posers like that...of course the chrome goes along with it too. LOL

As far as the trailer, if you are looking for something cheap like that you best reinforce it like others have. There are some good deals out there, you just want to avoid the flimsy ones. If you are purchasing through a company tell them what you re using it for to see if they have suggestions.
Thanks for the input. But if I decide to buy something new and stretch the swingarm, it wouldn't be another 600rr. It'll be a different manufacturer and probably at least a 1000cc and up. And far as the chrome, it wouldn't be chrome, it'll probably be PC'd black knowing me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts