Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have an 04' RR, but I am thinking of selling it and getting an R1. Anyone know how it compares? Is it a huge jump from a 600 to a 1000? How about the handleing? Thanks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I was on the same boat as you. I started with a 04 600RR and rode it to 10,000 miles. Many twisties. I love the way this bike handles so when going to a 1000 I started just like you on all the forums. Here is what I ended up with and I am never going back to anything else unless someone out does this bike.
2006 Suzuki GSXR K6
It handles like a 600 and has the power of a 1000. Mine bone stock dyno'd with only 400 miles and an oil change to crank out 150 HP to the rear wheel with SAE .99
This bike is amazing and every review will tell you. Go to google and type in 2006 Superbike Smackdown and motorcyle usa has an 8 page review on the top four litres of the year. Suzuki won hands down in almost every category and I bought all the other magazines like cycleworld and street rider and super street magazine. they all say the same thing. Just my two cents. Personally I love the damn bike and I have loved my honda 600rr so we share the same views I think.
Let me know if this helped in any way .

·
Registered
659 Posts
Regardless of what the magazines say all the liters put out more power what's practical for the street and or novice/intermediate track sessions. Handling is subjective, and proper setup and familiarity with most newer bikes should be able to eliminate most complaints. You should pick solely on what you like as you have to live with it; what works for you may not for me and vice-versa. If you have an honest one-on-one with yourself, and feel you are a capable enough rider to handle the jump to a liter then do it. All modern bikes are super great and not-so in some facet, pick the one the makes you peek in the garage as soon as you wake-up just to see it.

·
Registered
865 Posts
but the r1 is so sexy haha. any litre is going to be too much for any of us to use to its full potential...so mag reviews can suck it. go with the one that your most comfortable on. not to mention get the one thats most sexy...r1.

·
Registered
364 Posts
RelfF2 said:
I read that article and I think they miscommunicated what they were trying to say.

RelfF2 said:
this post explains my postion on this topic pretty well....i'll be a 600 guy till i die, but if you do alot of around town, stoplight to stoplight riding...then i don't blame those that get 1000s.
Hmm. No offense, but I'm not buying it. A 600 is inconvenient for around town riding, so a liter bike will fix that problem? Yeah, that makes sense. I don't care if people want to upgrade, but I wish they could just admit that they're moving up because they want the bigger, badder bike that makes more power and is apparently cooler to have instead of coming up with some lame excuse like "it's better for my around town riding." :dontknow:

Anyways, sorry for the hijack. The R1 is a sexy bike. If ya like it, go for it. If you can wait another year, I'd see what Yamaha comes up with next year. :beer:

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
HavocIND said:
I was on the same boat as you. I started with a 04 600RR and rode it to 10,000 miles. Many twisties. I love the way this bike handles so when going to a 1000 I started just like you on all the forums. Here is what I ended up with and I am never going back to anything else unless someone out does this bike.
2006 Suzuki GSXR K6
It handles like a 600 and has the power of a 1000. Mine bone stock dyno'd with only 400 miles and an oil change to crank out 150 HP to the rear wheel with SAE .99
This bike is amazing and every review will tell you. Go to google and type in 2006 Superbike Smackdown and motorcyle usa has an 8 page review on the top four litres of the year. Suzuki won hands down in almost every category and I bought all the other magazines like cycleworld and street rider and super street magazine. they all say the same thing. Just my two cents. Personally I love the damn bike and I have loved my honda 600rr so we share the same views I think.
Let me know if this helped in any way .
150HP??? i dont know about that... but the 06gix6 is sick as hell tho...i rode my buddy's and all i got to say is WOW!!!! the handling and throttle response is amazing... and for the short riders, its great... its probably 2-3 inches shorter than the RR

·
Registered
639 Posts
DaMartian said:
150HP??? i dont know about that... but the 06gix6 is sick as hell tho...i rode my buddy's and all i got to say is WOW!!!! the handling and throttle response is amazing... and for the short riders, its great... its probably 2-3 inches shorter than the RR
Thats kinda low for an 06GSXR1000, but then again, its not even broken in. All the liter bikes make over 150hp now, and some over 160hp. The torque is the number to look at tho.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I know guys I aint' new to this forum either. I know what dyno number mean and yes 150 is on the low side but not entirely. The mag's all average that the 06 Stock should be getting anywhere from 154-158 on a stock so I figured I should be getting around 155. The dyno I went to is called King's Cycle in Brooklyn NY. I asked them why mine read the way it did (by the way I have a graph that I already put on another thread with pics. http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94888) The curve is what's important and anyone who has ever dyno'd the other litres will tell you that the linear curve is what you want to be as smooth until you reach the peak powerband. My graph shows why the gixxer has been bike of the year in both 2005 and 06 (which has been unchanged from 05...its just that good). Trust me bro. Then again everyone else is right, next years bikes to look for 07CBR600RR which is most likely going to be all new. And Yamaha and Suzuki are both readoing their litres. SHould be interesting. But handling is still really good, just ask ben spies and mat mladin. lol....

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
After 1 year of riding my 05 RR (1st bike) with 12K miles on it, I moved up to a 06 GSXR1K..god I love that thing...esp the seat height..

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
i always wanted the new r1..some guy here is swapping his 05 r1 to my 600rr 05...but it got me thinking....the city here is not that big and roads are filled up with cars and the 600 can easily do 260 kmh vs the liter - r1 290+kmh. then why upgrade? do you run 260 kmh on city streets? i don't think so.infact the roads here are not that good not like in the us of A. then why upgrade? for show? power? can you maximize the power of ur 600 already? so got me thinking i'll stick up with my 600rr coz i love this thing handles. i'll just wait for the 07 600rr and ill think about it. remember ur skill is more important than displacement. btw i personally rode the 04 r 1 my buds bike...all i can say is POWER..but i got to say just my expirience i love my 600rr handles vs. the 04 r1. good luck!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelfF2
http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=45332

I read that article and I think they miscommunicated what they were trying to say.
out of curiousity, what do you mean by this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelfF2
this post explains my postion on this topic pretty well....i'll be a 600 guy till i die, but if you do alot of around town, stoplight to stoplight riding...then i don't blame those that get 1000s.

Hmm. No offense, but I'm not buying it. A 600 is inconvenient for around town riding, so a liter bike will fix that problem? Yeah, that makes sense. I don't care if people want to upgrade, but I wish they could just admit that they're moving up because they want the bigger, badder bike that makes more power and is apparently cooler to have instead of coming up with some lame excuse like "it's better for my around town riding."
all i'm trying to say is this: i love 600s. i love the powerband of a 600, i love taking in the twisties, spinning it up, and thinking, 'hell yeah, this is what this thing is for!' and i don't mind that a 1000 will eat my bike for lunch in a highway roll on, and will pull clean from 2000 rpm, because having that ability would mean that i couldn't enjoy my bike fully doing the riding i love to do because i'd be afraid of either, a) getting spit on my head, or b) getting enough tickets to turn my licence into a bus pass (as motorcyclist put it this month i beleive.) BUT, imagine you don't ride twisites... imagine you ride over to your buddies house, then cruise down the strip, then get on the highway to go over there....back on the highway over there....sit at a light...off to work. If this is the kind of riding one does, then how are you going to sell this person on the handleing, responsiveness, and usuable top-end powerband of a 600? all thier going to hear you say is 'less torque' and all i'm saying is i really don't blame them for that.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well I guess I'll throw my two cent in since I used to own a 600RR and now own an 06 GSXR 1000 and an 06' R1. I loved the looks of my 600, but I never really felt comfortable on it. That says nothing about the capability of the bike because it was a great machine, just not a good ergonomical fit for me. When it was totalled in my crash I looked at every bike out there and the Gixxer fit me the best so I baught it. The R1 is my wife's. I can honestly say I will never use half the power of my Gix, but the way it feels and handles compared to my 600 it like night and day. It turns in quicker and requires much less work to ride fast. The R1 on the other hand requires more rider input to get through the corners but is still as smooth as butter to ride. I'd be lying if I said i haven't questioned my decision to get a litre bike over another 600, but in the end I like to ride without haveing to shift so many times to keep up with everyone. I just put it in third gear and go, I can ride all day and never shift until we get to a stop sign. The slipper clutch is also very cool once you get used to it.

The upgrade in power is tremendous and you must respect any litre bike or they will make you pay. These are not our first litre bikes and we both have 26 years of street experience behind us so the jump was no big deal for either of us. If your gonna get a litre, get the one that you like the best. Even though I own the Gixxer, I know hands down the R1 is a much better looking bike. It just didn't fit me like the Gix.

Here's my old bike.

And here's our new ones!

If you buy an R1 you will not be disappointed. It is truly an awsome machine. Don't believe the Mags who rate it at the bottom. It will give you the ride of your life!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the feedback. I love my 600RR, but I think the R1 is hands down the best looking bike out there. I am anxious to see what the 07s will look like. Anyone have any picks.

I don't just want the R1 for the looks, however. I have heard they are much smoother of a ride. But, several people have told me that the jump to a litre bike is like night and day compared to a 600, especially in the turns. I haven't wrecked yet and I'm not trying to. What is your opinion on the power jump from 600-1000?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts