Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok....you could flame me all you want...but i need opinions.

I just went to a dealer to get oil for my bike, but i have noticed there was a ducati 996 for sale. It had a list price for 8000 dollars, but a buddy of mine who works there says i can probably cut down the price a lot more.

it is the winter season, but i was thinking of getting this bike, while keeping the 600rr.

I know that maintenance is going to burn a hole like no other, but do you think it will be well worth it?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh....any insight about ducati bikes (not just that they are great bikes, etc....) will be helpful, because i know some forum members here owns or have owned a ducati once in their lifetime.

N

·
0 Posts
You may actually get responses than views if you posted this in a Ducati forum. Or is this another, "Convince why I shouldn't buy this bike" thread?

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
If you got the finances or the mechanical knowledge to maintain such a bike
then by all means go for it if not then this bike ant for you Ducs are not like
Hondas

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
moeman said:
If you got the finances or the mechanical knowledge to maintain such a bike
then by all means go for it if not then this bike ant for you Ducs are not like
Hondas
yep yep. the moeman is almost always right. ducs cost in the mantance area and its not a dealership EVERYWHERE. in Hawaii for example, my buddy got one from the dealership but beyond oil changes and tire problems, they want u to ship it to the states. if u got the money or the mechanical knowledge, do it. imma get one, but i got the money.... :icon_lol:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nemesis said:
You may actually get responses than views if you posted this in a Ducati forum. Or is this another, "Convince why I shouldn't buy this bike" thread?
i actually have signed into the ducati forums at speedzilla, and obviously they say go for it. But I would like to see from people that own different brand bikes, not just a ducati

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gixxerm said:
I am selling my 996 with tons of goodies and lots of motor work....let me know if you are interested...
how much are you asking? send me a PM with all your info. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mister Dirt said:
yep yep. the moeman is almost always right. ducs cost in the mantance area and its not a dealership EVERYWHERE. in Hawaii for example, my buddy got one from the dealership but beyond oil changes and tire problems, they want u to ship it to the states. if u got the money or the mechanical knowledge, do it. imma get one, but i got the money.... :icon_lol:
I know that ducatis are cheap at all in maintenance. That's why i was thinking of using my 600rr as my weekday/track bike, and have my ducati as a weekend bike

·
Registered
249 Posts
do you want it for the name or the 996 as the bike itself?
just wondering because if i were the buy a used ducati, it would be the 888.
if its just for the name and for fun, i would get the monster.
if its for looks and sports, i would get the new 1098, 2007 models require less maintainence.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cbr_220 said:
do you want it for the name or the 996 as the bike itself?
just wondering because if i were the buy a used ducati, it would be the 888.
if its just for the name and for fun, i would get the monster.
if its for looks and sports, i would get the new 1098, 2007 models require less maintainence.
I actually want the 996 for what it is. I love that design that 748, 996, and 998 has. Personally i would love to have the 748, but it is not an easy find.

ANother interesting information is that this bike was previously owned by an ex guns and roses member.

As for 1098, I was thinking about it, but 15000 plus is kind of out of my price range for a bike

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you want to lack power and revs than get a Ducati. I feel that th Rc51 and even TL1000R are 1 liter Duc eaters. Only Ducati to get is the 1098 or the Desmosedici coming out for 2007 just my opinion. Keep the 600RR to spank the hell out of the ducati .. hehehe

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To be honest, i know that a 996 will get owned by most of the bike these days. Even the RC51 will get owned by most of the in line 4s.

I would love to own a desmosedici or 1098, but it's definitely beyond my price range.

Well, I am still doing more research, and I am viewing several bikes right now, so I will see what happens

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
Was it red with some stickers and about 3000 miles on it?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, it has about 8000 miles, and it has no stickers. It had ohlins front and rear suspension, with brembo brake calipers equipped front and back. THe rims were marchesini too.

·
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD c
27,367 Posts
hwang, for wot its worth , go for it stunning bikes, just have to treat them a little nicer than the honda , they have a cry if they are even slightly mistreated, the the 748, 996 had sum oil issues, ie when they were cold the pickups were not operating to full effect, so if some one has run these cold then the cams could have suffered , get that 996 checked out before you shell the clams, if its a S or R model, performance isnt to far off your 6oo.... if its your bag baby, hit it!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts