41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
now thats a build thread!...nice job!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Damn bro, nice work on the bike and good write up. Looks like you did a really good job making everything look clean again and good to hear it runs well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Awesome thread. I admire your dedication to your steed. The bike has taken care of you for some time, so it was time to return the favor. Congrats on the rebuild and my hat is off to you for this thread.

Will

·
Registered
247 Posts
very good and detailed thread. glad to see everything is back together and running.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
amazing, only way to describe it, glad she is back together

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Wow.... thanks sooo much guys for all the compliments and kind words!! :ciao: Believe me it makes me feel good knowing I'm not the only one that appreciates all the hard work that went into this project

Anyways, she's been back on the road for about 2 weeks now, and still running strong as ever!! I've logged almost 2,000 miles already, at 179,300 something now and have had zero problems whatsoever! Still pulling strong and running smooth, and starts right up every single time, and not burning or leaking any oil (or any other fluid for that matter) :banger: I changed the oil once already, at 600 miles. It was starting to get a little funky from washing out all the assembly lube (which was black) and other junk from the rebuild. Oil is staying much cleaner this time around, but I'm gonna change it again at 180k and go back to the Mobil 1 I've always used

I'll go through the thread and answer a few questions that were asked here in just a sec....

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Much respect. That kind of dedication is truly rare. Then, to put it back to original form and not get lost in a "new and better" mode. Congrats. Best thread I've read in quite a long time.
Definitely.... on one of the forums I had originally posted about the wreck on, everybody there said just junk it, it's not worth it, it'll never be the same, blah blah blah. People don't understand, it's easy for you to say that when it' not YOUR bike, or you that's gonna be in a financial bind by getting something new, it's me! Nobody could seem to get that through their heads. But, I am quite the stubborn one and usually always end up doing my own thing anyways, regardless of what anyone else thinks or says. Sometimes I end up having to learn a lesson the hard way, but, other times it ends up paying off, as in this situation. I agree with you in not getting caught up in the new and better mode. I'm not a big fan of overly modding everything, I like just a few tasteful and useful mods, and that's about it. Pretty much just a clean 'almost' stock look is what I like for both cars and bikes, nothing overboard. I did add a few new things here (the rear seat cowl and the hugger), but both I've been wanting for a long time. I just so happened to come across a guy in PA on craigslist selling the cowl, hugger, and a pair of OEM mirrors (which I needed after the wreck), and got them for dirt cheap so I had to jump on that at least, lol

Awesome write-up and an even better job. Congrats on fixing up your bike like that. I can't even imagine putting in the time and effort you did.
Thanks!! It was most definitely alot of time and effort, but I do enjoy doing this kind of work (not necessarily crashing my bike and having to rebuild it, but just in general). Really payed off in the end too, so it made it all completely worth it. Still wish I never had to do it in the first place, but hey, given the situation I think it was the best possible solution I had available

man...much respect to you on the rebuild. i admire your ambition to rebuild rather than replace
Thanks... and absolutely agree! As I stated above, I just couldn't bring myself to toss it out and replace it. Besides I couldn't afford a new bike anyways, and rather than put myself in a financial bind buying one when I knew my job was unstable, just decided fixing this one up on a budget was a much more appropriate option. And I'm glad I went that way, cuz I did lose my job about 3 weeks ago. Had I bought a new bike, I'd be royally screwed right now, because I'd have a new payment + that $2200 debt that I never would have been able to pay off

You > adversity.

Congratulations, sir, this is epic awesome. A true tale of commitment and dedication to one's ideals. Excellent write-up too, which must have taken forever...All the more impressive that you made time to share it with us. Amazing dude.....:banger::cruising:
Why thank you!! The write up did indeed take forever, or it sure seemed like it, lol. I had to spend a couple hours sorting through all the pictures, because not only were they out of order (I got busy doing stuff and forgot to take pics, so had to go back and take pics, then go back to what I was doing). So the pictures were all over the place, plus they were on 2 different cameras, so I had to load them all into one big folder, then sort them one by one into 4 sub folders to organize them as to what was what. Once I got all the pictures sorted and uploaded to photobucket, it took me right around 6 hours to completely finish writing the thread, lol

Holy awesome thread write-up. The motor will probably go another 100k easily haha.
I sure hope so!! The way it's running now, I don't see why not :cruising:

great thread....

love that you went with the 01-03 f4i split tail, the 'banana' seat of the 04+ f4i's look crappy....

i love the f4i. it was my first bike...

nice rebuild.
Thanks!! Yea it originally had the banana seat on it, and while it was most definitely more comfy, it was just fugly as all hell. In January 2007 I did the whole tail conversion, and couldn't be happier. The harder seat took a little getting used to at first, but after that.... love it!! Soooooo glad I did the swap, looks 100x better, IMHO. I too love the F4i... I've ridden alot of other bikes, and always happily come back to mine. There's not too many other sportbikes out there that I could do the type of riding I do on.... F4i ergos just fit me perfect! I figure there's gotta be a reason I've held on to this bike for the last 179k miles, lol

omg man you actually did it! good job!. you must really love that bike
Yes sir... I did indeed!! I do in fact love this bike, and it just goes to show how far a little determination will get you

Awesome thread. I admire your dedication to your steed. The bike has taken care of you for some time, so it was time to return the favor. Congrats on the rebuild and my hat is off to you for this thread.

Will
Thanks! She has indeed been very very, VERY good to me. Of all the travels I've done, all over the country, she's never once let me down or left me stranded, or even given so much as a hiccup for that matter.....ever. Closest I ever came to having trouble was a battery that started to take a crap on a 3500 mile roadtrip, while I was in southeast Ohio. I rode with my low beams on the rest of the way and didn't have another issue with it, made it home safely (Atlanta, GA) and replaced the battery, no more problems

stands and applauds simply amazing my friend
Thank you.... thank you!! *bows* lol

Once again thank you everyone for the kind words. I'm glad you all enjoyed the pics and story!! Hopefully I won't have to be doing another one of these threads.... ever, lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
awesome thread man, wish i had half the knowledge as you about my bike, hopefully someday i will get to that point. bike looks really good man. props.

·
Registered
514 Posts
That is truly commitment. Just about everyone on the net would've taken the cash from the insurance company and bought another bike. I enjoy reading your threads because they're always through the narration is good and never a lack of pics, lol! Congrats bro on a job well done!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
fantastic job on that! Thanks for taking the time to take the pictures during the process ... I bet that wasnt the easiest thing to do with grease and oil all over your hands. Good on ya bro!

·
Registered
92 Posts
thank you for your well documented rebuild.....i have tons of respect for how you went about restoring your F4i. Congratulations again!

41 - 60 of 91 Posts