Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked my bike up a lil over a week ago i think. Im not exactly babying it but im not going balls out with it. Not trying to discuss break-in procedure just feeling like it'll take forever! I've been riding around town here and there when time permits and finally took it out and put a solid 70 or so miles on it just yesterday for a total of 100 lol. Ever since i starting hitting trackdays and such i rarely commute and really only ride canyons. Im itching to do a trackday with the RR and my supermoto but want to complete break-in on the RR first. At this rate it'll be like over a month before i can do anything else let alone unleash this beast.:banghead:

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
There's some theory that you should just ride it hard from the tstart. It's been debated here before, there are pros and cons either way. What does the book say for break in, like 500 mi or so?

·
King of UPS
2,946 Posts
Should of had it Dynoed broke in.. Much easier.. Good either way

·
Registered
175 Posts
Ride it like you stole it from the day you buy it. If its been 100 miles then you already missed your window for hard seating your rings. The service manual is a beautiful thing but 500 granny miles is obsurd.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
like i said, i wasn't trying to discuss break in theories. Im familiar with all of them. Some people say hard riding, some say baby it. Im a happy medium kinda guy.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
you said you didnt want to re hash the theories but it appears that popular opinion seems to be

Ride it like you stole it from the day you buy it. If its been 100 miles then you already missed your window for hard seating your rings. The service manual is a beautiful thing but 500 granny miles is absurd.
So Dyno on day one to hard seat your rings -- does seem to be the best idea but you know this and have chosen to just ride her come what may Williy nilly apparently with no plan -- not beating it to death nor babying it...

whos to really say what will come of that in the long term...when mechanics have already repeatedly put in their two cents and said seat the friggin rings right in the first hundo if you wana track it...

I understand none of us are Rossi so its no big deal to me either. I got my baby at 931 miles..vague on what specifically happened early on.. I do know she was dynoed and he probably put the PC on either when he got her or shortly thereafter...but its over a hundo out to the place where he got her dynoed what ever just enjoy her ride safe !!!

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
oh another one of these threads, lol.
Ive been breaking in everything hard for years with great results.

just change the oil soon, like 100 miles, and youll be fine.

D

·
0 Posts
Should of had it Dynoed broke in.. Much easier.. Good either way
Honda already runs each engine on a dyno before it goes into an engine.

The "break in period" is all just a legal way for companies to tell people to keep it easy for the first hundred or so miles so that it's cheaper for them to fix something if a part was loose or damaged inside the bike during the build.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ive had mine for a week now and have over 250 miles on it. Not to mention I have worked everyday since including all my over time.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had a good friend at the Honda dealership tell me that 100 is fine for a break-in. F it man ride that thing like its stolen. its a honda. not like ur going to blow it up.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
where do u guys get the impression I'm not riding it? I did hard accel n decel the first 30 miles or so. I would just prefer not to take it to the track til I get that first service.. geez (unfortunately I haven't YUT UGGHHH! though, I'll admit that )

oh and I dont want to debate doing the work yourself or taking It into the dealer, but this will be the first time I bring the bike to the dealer for service. I normally do all the work myself.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Honda already runs each engine on a dyno before it goes into an engine.

The "break in period" is all just a legal way for companies to tell people to keep it easy for the first hundred or so miles so that it's cheaper for them to fix something if a part was loose or damaged inside the bike during the build.
I watched a documentary of the Honda factory production line, most of it was showing new 600rr's getting put together.
They do run the motor once the whole bike is together, but it's just to check if everything is working basically. It looked like a minimal load roller, they were using maybe 1/5th throttle and shifting at like 4000rpm (they showed the guy's wrist close up, it was barely moving at all). They just went up through the gears then back down, whole thing took maybe 25 seconds.

So yea it is run at the factory, just barely, but it isn't in anyway a break in.

·
King of UPS
2,946 Posts
Stephen, how do they do that? Do they follow rpm/power curves or something? Sounds interesting...

To be honest i am really not sure how they do it.. All I know Is that I have had it done to all the bikes I bought. As soon as I bought it, It was rolled into the dyno room and my mechanic ( Mark Ledesma ) did his magic for me and I got to ride it home and romp the heck out of it as if I broke it In myself.. I am told though that once you ride it You cant have it dyno broke in.. Either way good luck :shakehand

1 - 20 of 28 Posts