Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/1622585701.html

So I sent this guy an e-mail for more pics and more info. I get an e-mail where he says he is in Germany and if I pay insurance, he'll ship it to me. None of the pictures he sent me matched the one in the listing and oddly enough, I've seen the same pics on some cycletrader bikes too. Below is the e-mail. Sounds REALLY shady to me, but I'm in IT and see this kind of stuff a lot. Notice the choppy English too.

Hello,
I am very sorry for the delayed response.
The bike is still for sale. Never had any mechanical problems. I must tell you that I had to move to Germany, Berlin one month ago with my work and I took the bike with me, hoping to drive it here as well. I work in Public relations department for Hilton Hotels here. When I got here I had an unpleasant surprise, because the bike is a US model and to pay the registration here in Europe, to pass all the emissions and standards and many other, would be quite expensive and nobody would do it. I tried to sell it locally but it was not successfully. That is why I am trying to sell the bike back in US. There will be no further problems because the bike passes US emissions standards and DOT & EPA as long as it has been purchased in US space.
I can deliver the bike to your address and I will agree to let you test it and inspect it for a few days just to be sure. I am going to use a shipping company to deliver it and you will pay the shipping and insurance fees. I want to use this company because I used it to bring the bike here and they had a excellent service, it came with absolutely no damage or scratches. It should take about 8-10 days to get the bike.
If interested please reply asap. Thank you for your time.
P.S. I have attached more pictures with my bike
Kind regards,
Valentino

·
Registered
39 Posts
That does sound like a scam email but the price is way too high for the usual scams.. And also very strange that there is a phone number in the ad.

·
Registered
114 Posts
definite scam. One of my old supervisors when I was in the Air Force went to germany and took his 1000RR with him and had no emissions issues, and had no trouble selling it there when he decided he wanted to get rid of it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
even if it were legit i wouldn't do it. its always better to deal with people face to face when carrying out large transactions. It gives you an opportunity to check out what you're going buy and to know the guy's face if you need to hunt him down later lol.

make it easy on yourself and buy a bike that you can see in person and immediately take home before handing over a big wad of cash.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
At least those Nigerian scammers have learned to speak better english then when they were spamming my craiglist ad selling my Ninja 650. The emails I got were barely readable english sentences. But I played along with one responder and really ragged the **** out of him about use of paypal (I told him i never trusted paypal at all).
It was funny they kept responding and trying to get me to play along.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Wanna know if it's a scam? Email him and tell him that you have a friend stationed in Germany who's willing to come check it out, with money in hand and handle the shipping himself. Bet you get a story about how he's in Germany, but the bike is in Alaska.

Oh, how convenient, you have a friend in Alaska too.... I think you see where I'm going with this :crackup:

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's a scam.

Last year I was looking to buy a used bike, and I e-mailed multiple ads.

The responses I got back were all along the same lines.

Some told me that she was in new york, and the bike was her divorced husbands that she has no need for, and she would ship it to me in a crate.

Others were that they were in europe.

I knew it was a scam when I got two e-mails from two different accounts about two different bikes that were copy and pasted responses.

Watch out!

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
These scams are on the rise especially during hard money times. Some are sophisticated enough to have phone numbers and such, still a scam though. Scammers are EVERYWHERE! When we responded to adds while looking to buy a yorkie pup, most were scams. It is sad that people prey on each other like that.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Wanna know if it's a scam? Email him and tell him that you have a friend stationed in Germany who's willing to come check it out, with money in hand and handle the shipping himself. Bet you get a story about how he's in Germany, but the bike is in Alaska.

Oh, how convenient, you have a friend in Alaska too.... I think you see where I'm going with this :crackup:
Greatest idea ever. Then for each country he says the bikes in say, "oh my baby mama's brothers second cousin's friend lives there too, so convenient!"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh yeah, I know it's a scam. We had a scam tried on us with puppies. They'd send me more than I asked for via "check" and then we ship them the puppy and pay for shipping out of the "check" and then just "keep" the rest. RRIIIGGHHHHT!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts