Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been stalking the forums for a while and decided to finally join. First let me say that most people on this forum seem really nice and know what they are talking about. Second I am going to ask "that question." I have read the sticky at the top regarding a sport bike as a good starter bike but it seems to me that it is geared more towards people who haven't ridden a motorcycle of any kind before. I defiantly took the information from the post.

Here is my situation I have ridden dirt bikes my whole life and I currently have a 14 Yz250f and a 13 kx450f. So I am not new to motorcycles but I have only ridden a ninja 250 once and not very far. I definitely don't want a 250 because I will be riding on the highway. I know that they are capable of highway speeds but have trouble when needing to pass.

So I know how to ride and I know that there are going to be differences between dirt and street. I know that they make different versions so to speak of the cbr 600 and was wondering about recommendations.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
one thing for sure you are used to torquey bikes as that is what dirt bikes are famous for just remember do not let your wrist take control and you will be alright

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Hello,

I come from an off road background myself. If you can ride a KX450 you will be fine on a 600. Jus like the post above stated though, start out easy because they are different for sure. :thumbup:

·
Registered
14,362 Posts
Just about every person that comes here, and asks this question already has their mind made up. I will only offer this.

Before you twist the throttle.

1. Are you prepared to fall off of the bike?
2. Are you happy with the gear you have on?
3. If you crash, do you have medical coverage?
4. If you get hurt and can't work...are you able to take care of your responsibilities?
5. If you have a wife/girlfriend and/or kids, are they OK with it?
6. Are you OK with losing the bike if it's totalled?
7. Are you covered if you hurt someone else, or their property?

These are the things that would be important to me. As far as what bike someone should start on? I don't care, it's their skin...not mine. Just don't hurt someone else through your actions or inactions, and not be prepared to take care of it.

·
Registered
940 Posts
No, no way in hell you'll be ok a 600rr as your first street bike. You will DIE in a ball of FIRE!!!!

I will be honest, I started on a 2007 600rr as my first bike with absolutely no riding experience other than my 2-day MSF course. I personally have no regrets but I have to also honestly say you really need to be mentally ready to take it slow and learn the power band. I say go for it but make sure you have the right gear.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
I started on a cbr250r, kept it for 12 months. In between rode my mates GSXR100, R1 and gsxr600. Only reason I bought the 600rr was because I picked it up off a mate for $1200. Otherwise I would still be on the 250. I love my 600rr, plenty of power and fun, but you have to respect the machine and it will respect you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't necessarily need a 600rr. What is the difference between older models. What about a bike in the 500cc range?

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Regarding your dirt experience, the major difference dirt vs.street is learning how to trust your grip/feel on the front tire.

please invest a bunch of $$ into protective gear....IMO fabrics do not make the grade

I think you will be OK....your challenge will be surviving the "invisible to cars" experiences.

on a side note, after 5 yrs on my 09 (42k miles), when you have got your cbr's setup/ suspension dialed in, the bike feels/reacts like a 2 stroke 250......except you are moving about 3x as fast.....and your delta v (mass x velocity) is well into the splat zone.

ps. a ninja 250 is way enough to move good on the freeway. Gear it long, use your head, and the little f'er will cruise at 90 (max 110+ if you have a tailwind)... no prob as long as your light (150 lbs or so).

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
I defiantly took the information from the post.
We are very nice people, but why do you feel you need to treat us in such a way and be 'defiant' from the very start? I don't like the attitude.

Unless of course you meant 'definitely' which is a very different word, :poke:

Now, there is great advice in here already, so all I would say is do a bit of reading & research, and ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time)

Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch (book)
Twist of the Wrist 1 and 2 (books and videos)

Take it slow until you get the gist of how the bike works and feels under you, then you'll start having fun.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Normally when people say "I have dirt bike experience" they actually mean "I jumped on my brother's mini-bike, rode it across the back yard, ran into a fence and got yelled at by my mom," so dirt bike experience is always taken with a grain of salt.

If you actually have significant dirt bike experience, chances are you will be OK on a CBR. That being said, you'll probably drop it in the first few months (everyone does), so it may be a better idea to go with something cheap and used to start (SV-650?).

·
Registered
790 Posts
Everybody does??? Not !
Your maturity and right hand will determine your destiny now and when you get more experience.

·
Registered
236 Posts
And you have no way of validating your claims. If he gets hurt, I hope he sues you to recover his damages. Hey, you told him he'd be fine.
Just expressing my opinion. I think this starter bike thing is usually blown way out of proportion. It's definitely not a good first bike. But someone who knows riding and clutch throttle brake coordination should be fine. But again it's just my opinion. I'll add a no liability disclaimer next time :)

·
BOTM winner 03/15
2,308 Posts
I did two years on a Suzuki SV650s and I'm glad I did.

70hp as opposed to the RR's 100+, and the fact it's a twin meant it had plenty of torque right through the rev range without having a scary power band kicking in. Loads of useable power and quite capable of highway speeds snd safe overtakes. Very easy to ride and very forgiving. All in all a great first 'big bike'. Not bad looking for a budget bike either...

Could I have gone straight onto a SS600? Probably, but it would have been a much steeper learning curve. It all depends on the person. I was 27 when I passed my bike test, I wasn't mature enough to own a sports bike before then.

Only you know how you'll REALLY behave once you have one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You can drop a dirtbike all day long. A simple tip-over with a SS bike in a parking lot can cause over $1000 damage. Why do you think there are so many used SS bikes for sale with damage? Because these chumps can't afford to fix their bikes.

So start with something cheap and older, and spend the rest on good protective gear.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
You can drop a dirtbike all day long. A simple tip-over with a SS bike in a parking lot can cause over $1000 damage. Why do you think there are so many used SS bikes for sale with damage? Because these chumps can't afford to fix their bikes.

So start with something cheap and older, and spend the rest on good protective gear.
There are a lot of damaged SS bikes because they are the most popular bikes on the road, along with cruisers.

Insurance will help with some of those repair costs.

Everybody does??? Not !
Your maturity and right hand will determine your destiny now and when you get more experience.
:+1:

Painting a broad stroke on "ALL" bikers is unrealistic. Most new riders will drop it, but many will also be ok.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts