Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does the bike feel more stable and help you achieve better line going through corners with a steering damper (any type) than without one ?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
ofcourse it will help! it gives the bike a more precise steering feeling. its hard to describe but trust me it should be the first mod on a 600RR!

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
Yeah I think it helps as well plus most are fulley adjustable.

Go for it!

Jason

·
Registered
40 Posts
The damper is worth it's weight in gold. I have a Pitt Bull. While I was breaking the bike in I hit a rough part of the road at a high rate of speed in a tight corner. The bars jumped side to side. I went home and installed the damper. Wasn't going to put it on till I set the bike up for the track, but that did it for me.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
they are all pretty good! most guys one here would suggest the rotary style damper because if you do crash, its less likely to break . if you go with scotts, gpr, pitbull etc youll be happy! i know ive been procastinating on getting one but last sunday i was in the twisties and i hit a pot hole while leaned over and got the worse wobble ever! that really scared be and now ill be ordering one this week!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Guys:

I don't like to borrow from another forum but on this topic I feel the need to. I am not trying to stir up controversy here, but trying to offer the best advice we as riders can receive and ultimately make our riding experience the best it can be....

That being said you DO NOT need a damper...... Please read the comments from this post on another 600RR forum. I tend to agree with him, just my opinion.

Read Jeff's posts closely....he races and I am sure is expreienced enough to speak on this topic.

http://www.cbr600rr.com/forum/index.php/topic,14589.0.html

Keep the shiny side up!!!!!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
2ndtime said:
Guys:

I don't like to borrow from another forum but on this topic I feel the need to. I am not trying to stir up controversy here, but trying to offer the best advice we as riders can receive and ultimately make our riding experience the best it can be....

That being said you DO NOT need a damper...... Please read the comments from this post on another 600RR forum. I tend to agree with him, just my opinion.

Read Jeff's posts closely....he races and I am sure is expreienced enough to speak on this topic.

http://www.cbr600rr.com/forum/index.php/topic,14589.0.html

Keep the shiny side up!!!!!

I'm all for everyone expressing an opinion but there is a reason why almost all race organizations REQUIRE a steering dampner and pretty much ALL top racers use them. But, like I said, to each there own.

·
Registered
725 Posts
i'll agree that a damper is not a must have for the street ... sure there are situations were I would have liked to have had one on the bike, but I never did go down by not having one.

for racing its a different story ...

make sure you have quality gear and a good set of tires before you laydown the money for a damper.

as in the linked thread, most of the wobbles, etc; are caused or made worse by the rider ... the bike WILL correct it self very quickly if you let it.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
For street I guess I mostly agree but one place where they do help that I noticed before 'quitting' street riding was on on and off ramps where you're moving at sometimes a good lean angle and you hit some bumps, ripples, or seams in the road. I agree for street they aren't necessary but they certainly aren't a bad idea IMO.

rivalxCBR said:
i'll agree that a damper is not a must have for the street ... sure there are situations were I would have liked to have had one on the bike, but I never did go down by not having one.

for racing its a different story ...

make sure you have quality gear and a good set of tires before you laydown the money for a damper.

as in the linked thread, most of the wobbles, etc; are caused or made worse by the rider ... the bike WILL correct it self very quickly if you let it.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Mine Does...i Run A Gpr And Keep It On The Settin About "3" All The Time...i Can Cut It Down To "1" And The Bike Feels Loose Compared To The Higher Damping. I Cant Believe The Difference In Not Having It Now. I Never Knew Any Better Before. I Would Personally Reccommend Gettin One...BUT THATS JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION

I Love Mine!
O2

·
Registered
593 Posts
HOW ABOUT DEAD!!!! DO YOU WANT TO GET DEAD???

Seriously that was very far from the truth. A dampers main purpose is not to make your lines in turns better its to iliminate headshake and possible tankslappers. Its very good for squids who buy these bikes even against the warnings of fellow experienced riders. It comes in handy when the squids pop wheelies to be "cool" or start thinking they are Aaron Yates on the street.

Yes you NEED a Damper.(Im talking about street riding) Every bike should come standard with a steering damper from the factory. Its a must. And every one should be adjustable. But thats just my opinion. Its a safety issue. Just like a helmet or gear.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts