Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm currently in search of purchasing my first starter bike and thought I'd pick your brains a bit.

I found an AD for an immaculate looking 05 Honda CBR 600RR for $3900. Sounds like a good price? Try adding 45,xxx miles on it?

So my question is: Is this bike worth the price for the mileage? What would be an ideal price? And, what's considered too high of a mileage for a used bike?

Here's the ad description and photo:

2005 Honda CBR 600RR,45,271 Miles, Black tribal paint, Hid headlights, black chrome windshield, hotgrips, slip-on Jardine muffler, K&N airfilter. New tires and brakes. Excellent Condition. Runs perfect. Always garaged & covered. $3,900

I appreciate your feedback. Thanks ahead guys!

B

Attachments

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
not worth it for the mileage. the bike should run into the 6 figure digits but for the price you can do better. around here in Boston seems the going rate for a 05-06 with around 5k miles on it is $5,500. Keep on looking, youll find a better deal.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Im sure you can talk him down a bit on the price to maybe $3400. but ask him for the maintinance history,(reciepts ect.). if these bikes are maintaned properly theyre good for well over 100k miles. so mileage is a non-issue as long as the engine was well taken care of

·
Registered
327 Posts
in before he gets flamed for not starting on a 250.

On topic if they really took care fo the bike they should have records of maintenance/Receipts I no i damn sure do.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Before I found my 600rr, I took a look at an 05 zx6r with just under 50k miles on it. It actually seemed to run great for the milage, but I just couldn't bring myself to get it with those kind of miles on it.

I know everyone says these Honda's go forever when treated right, but if I were you I would keep looking for a bike with lower milage.
I think it also kind of depends on what your plans are for the bike. If you plan on commuting with it, get a bike with the least amount of miles as possible.. I do about 60-70 miles round trip to work a day on mine and man, it adds up quick.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Thats a decent price for an 05. I don't get why people are scared of higher miles, or putting a lot of miles on their bikes. i have about 25k on my 06 and it runs like new. would've been way more if i didn't stop riding within the last year.

ask for the maintenance and accident history. if its clear and well-maintained, the price sounds fair.

and remember, its a HONDA! if it was a Gixxer or Kawi, forget it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
when is expected to be worn out? 50,000 miles??? Honda's last forever with minimum maintenance SO if its in your budget go for it...to me miles are just proof it hasn't died before its time.

·
Registered
593 Posts
in before he gets flamed for not starting on a 250.

On topic if they really took care fo the bike they should have records of maintenance/Receipts I no i damn sure do.
where is it written your required to start riding on a 125 or 250???? my first bike was a, and yea I'm older, 1984 Honda nighthawk S 700. it was a good deal for me, and in my budget for a brand new bike and i liked it so i got it...i just took it easy....think about it...less twist means less get up and go so why by a small bike...my first car had near 250 horse and would scream if i got stupid with the pedal.....long story short buy what ya like if its in your budget and respect what it can do....ya learned to crawl before ya walked so keep the same in minds and you will be OK.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
i'd buy it as long as the motor/tranny checked out & there was no wrecks, bikes are just like cars if you maintain them they will treat you right, sounds as if this guy has done that but ask him if you can take it and have it inspected. as long as there is no crashes etc.. i say buy it

·
Registered
152 Posts
There is no reason to risk it... I got my '06 with 8k miles for $4500... If you are just patient you can find a similar deal with less than 15k miles. If you have a choice between the same bike, the same year, and the same price.. but one has 30k less miles, why are you even considering?

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
If you plan on commuting with it, get a bike with the least amount of miles as possible.. I do about 60-70 miles round trip to work a day on mine and man, it adds up quick.
Id suggest doing the exact opposite of this. If youre going to put a ton of miles on it, get one that already has high miles. Why get one with low miles only to put a bunch on? You'll end up spending more on the bike in the first place, only to be left with a high mile bike (and a lower resale value) than you started with.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Id suggest doing the exact opposite of this. If youre going to put a ton of miles on it, get one that already has high miles. Why get one with low miles only to put a bunch on? You'll end up spending more on the bike in the first place, only to be left with a high mile bike (and a lower resale value) than you started with.
+1

...feh, to buy a bike with low milage at thrice the price... lunacy!

·
Registered
327 Posts
where is it written your required to start riding on a 125 or 250???? my first bike was a, and yea I'm older, 1984 Honda nighthawk S 700. it was a good deal for me, and in my budget for a brand new bike and i liked it so i got it...i just took it easy....think about it...less twist means less get up and go so why by a small bike...my first car had near 250 horse and would scream if i got stupid with the pedal.....long story short buy what ya like if its in your budget and respect what it can do....ya learned to crawl before ya walked so keep the same in minds and you will be OK.
Never was i goin to say start on a lower bike chill out dude. I started on a damn 600. I was making fun of people like the ones in the thread below.

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138793

NOW CALM DOWN lmao.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Hey everyone,

I'm currently in search of purchasing my first starter bike and thought I'd pick your brains a bit.

I found an AD for an immaculate looking 05 Honda CBR 600RR for $3900. Sounds like a good price? Try adding 45,xxx miles on it?

So my question is: Is this bike worth the price for the mileage? What would be an ideal price? And, what's considered too high of a mileage for a used bike?

Here's the ad description and photo:

2005 Honda CBR 600RR,45,271 Miles, Black tribal paint, Hid headlights, black chrome windshield, hotgrips, slip-on Jardine muffler, K&N airfilter. New tires and brakes. Excellent Condition. Runs perfect. Always garaged & covered. $3,900

I appreciate your feedback. Thanks ahead guys!

B
are you aware of what the RR, means on the 600RR?
it means race ready, this bike isnt for a begging rider.

+1 on starting with a 250.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
ya learned to crawl before ya walked so keep the same in minds and you will be OK.
It takes 2 seconds to go from 1,500 rpm to 15,000 in first gear. pretty steep LEARNING curve, innit? Makes making a silly mistake that much more deadly. Go ahead, ask the thousands who die every year from learning mistakes if it was a good idea starting on a 100+ HP 400# motorcycle built for being faster than the next bike.... g'head.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
It takes 2 seconds to go from 1,500 rpm to 15,000 in first gear. pretty steep LEARNING curve, innit? Makes making a silly mistake that much more deadly. Go ahead, ask the thousands who die every year from learning mistakes if it was a good idea starting on a 100+ HP 400# motorcycle built for being faster than the next bike.... g'head.

may i add this link to those newbs that want the best bike...
ride2die.com

·
Registered
514 Posts
Listen bro, you can get one with less miles if you were a little patient. As far as this being your first bike, you don't have to get a 250. These bikes only go as fast as you want them to go! From a 125 to a 1000 and up, they all go fast and they're all dangerous. It just depends on the rider. Git'cho 600RR and rock that!!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I think it kind of depends on who it is. Alot of us will get a bike to commute and have it as our primary transportation. I would take something low milage that I know will last me a long time if I take care of it. Not saying you can't do the same with a well taken care of higher milage bike. But if you have two bikes that were both well taken care of and were within $500 of eachother in price, but one had 10-20k miles less than the other, there's no doubt I would go for the lower miles.
If my bike was my only transportation, I would rather have low miles. I didn't really mean to pay 2 or 3 times more just for a few less miles either though.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
I think it kind of depends on who it is. Alot of us will get a bike to commute and have it as our primary transportation. I would take something low milage that I know will last me a long time if I take care of it. Not saying you can't do the same with a well taken care of higher milage bike. But if you have two bikes that were both well taken care of and were within $500 of eachother in price, but one had 10-20k miles less than the other, there's no doubt I would go for the lower miles.
If my bike was my only transportation, I would rather have low miles. I didn't really mean to pay 2 or 3 times more just for a few less miles either though.
I still disagree. After only 2 years of commuting at your pace, youre going to add 10-20k miles to it anyways.

Save the $500 and get a Corbin seat, D-3 grips, and an extra set of tires and you'll be all set.

I dont understand why everyone thinks these things only last 50,000 miles.... :icon_stud

1 - 20 of 30 Posts