Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the International Motorcycle Show this past weekend, and last night at a group meet up thing we were talking about it, and it was brought up that Deals Gap resort was there. This isn't about them though, but it got us talking and thinking.

Basically, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but Deals gap has just recently say in the last 5 years gotten really popular with motorcyclists. It is a very good thing as it has brought an aspect of tourism to the Gap and surrounding area's that it was previously lacking. I mean look at Robbinsville, they have a bunch of stuff that's probably brand new, all based probably on the new influx of tourism from motorcycles.

On the internet, log into any motorcycle message board and you will find threads about the gap. Tailofthedragon.com. As well as the Deals Gap resort coming to motorcycle shows and showing videos and whatnot. I'm just wondering if in the next year or so it will become too crowded, if it already isn't.

The influx of tourism is great. Deals gap seems to regulate itself pretty well if someone is messing things up so I have heard also. Then again, how long before they post a permanent patrol car up there? I have heard that in the past few years the speed limit on the gap has gone from 55, to 45, to it's now 30mph speed limit. When is the gap going to get a news show done on it such as the recent one about blue ridge?

Also, not bashing any of this, I know the gap is crazy fun, I know the locals probably love the tourism aspect of it, and it's a wonderful place to visit. Was just wanting to toss this out there for discussion as I thought it was interesting to think about.

Cheers.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'd rather ride a twisty mountain road all by myself than having to deal with hundreds of other people.

K

·
0 Posts
it's a road, not a race track. it's twisty, full of turns, and most of them are blind corners.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I live 20 minutes away. I love it. I have been riding for alot of years and it has always been popular with the locals. Motorcycling in general has gotten more popular over the years and the gap has grown in popularity across the country too. It has a well deserved reputation, it will bite you if your not carefull. : )

joker420 said:
The Gap itself is a novelty, Many much better roads in the area...
I personally enjoy the Foothills Parkway more than the gap. And yes there are alot of good roads in the area.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
fergusonv said:
And yes there are alot of good roads in the area.
+1.........I went to college in the NC mountains and I can remember the road being popular with motorcyclists back then. I too prefer the less populated roads.

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
Like the rest are saying....Deals Gap really is a great road to ride, but when we go we ride it a few times and then hit the surrounding moutains...like the FootHills and the Cherohala, etc.... there are SO MANY roads to ride up there . The Gap is pretty much just to say you did it!

As far as popularity goes....the Gap has been popular to "true" motorcyclists for years.
But all it's publicity has brought a flock of unexperienced riders who have absalutely no respect for their machine or the road thier on and they end up getting bit!

You can ride the Gap and enjoy yourself and I'm pretty sure you will, as long as you respect the road,your bike,your abilities and most importantly....other vehicles!

Go there...you will Love it!!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
The Dragon was alot of fun and the locals offer plenty of advice. LEO was everywhere but if you weren't acting a fool they didn't bother you. Maybe flash the lights but thats it. We rode the Dragon a couple times to say we did it but The Cherohala Skyway was without a doubt the best ride. Great scenery and those long turns. Loved it.

·
Registered
573 Posts
MajorRR said:
The Dragon was alot of fun and the locals offer plenty of advice. LEO was everywhere but if you weren't acting a fool they didn't bother you. Maybe flash the lights but thats it. We rode the Dragon a couple times to say we did it but The Cherohala Skyway was without a doubt the best ride. Great scenery and those long turns. Loved it.
You hit it right MajorRR. LEO's wont bother you unless you are out of hand.(I posted some time back about this) And my next ride will be the Cherohala. The Dragon is a "must ride", unless your too far away. Just keep in mind that around the next corner someone...car or bike, or otherwise might crowd you, clash or crash with you, and that you might do the same to them, and you will be ok.....hopefully. 5 star ride in my book.

·
Jack Daniels is my bff
1,985 Posts
My buddy said the news station here in Atlanta did report on how the LEO's are going to be cracking down on deals gap. Hope they dont follow through, that would be a bummer. People need to stop acting a fool up there and ruining it for everybody!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Unless they have some type of photography set up, I really dont see how they can enforce much except for a couple of spots. Its a two laner with hardly any pulloff points once you get into the main curvage.

·
Registered
238 Posts
JMO said:
My buddy said the news station here in Atlanta did report on how the LEO's are going to be cracking down on deals gap. Hope they dont follow through, that would be a bummer. People need to stop acting a fool up there and ruining it for everybody!
They did a few times this past year - they even had a helicopter; they gave tickets for everything, excessive speed, wreckless driving, 'drag racing', anything not DOT approved, etc. :( When you are a local you realize to NEVER go on the weekends unless its extremely early, otherwise you will be stuck behind Goldwings going 15mph for about an hour or theres a pretty good chance there will be LEO.

Like everyone else has said the dragon is a fun road to ride, but there are SO many other roads you can enjoy around here why chance getting into trouble with the LEO, trying to push yourself (so you won't be passed) which we all know leads to bad things, or getting run off the road by an oncoming car..

It never used to be like this, it used to just be a road leading from East TN to Robbinsville and that was it... word spread quickly and now EVERYONE knows about it - its amazing how many people you will meet down here that have actually planned their entire vacation around this one road..

Oh and the SPEED channel did a short segment about the dragon a little while ago...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dr.Spank said:
But all it's publicity has brought a flock of unexperienced riders who have absalutely no respect for their machine or the road thier on and they end up getting bit!
Sorry, I didn't clarify, these are the types I was talking about mostly in the original post. Not so much the locals(who are kick ass) or reasonable riders, but the ones who come in, blow corners, ride like idiots, and(hopefully not) get hurt. I figure those are the types that would cause the crack down.

DealsGapRR said:
its amazing how many people you will meet down here that have actually planned their entire vacation around this one road..

Oh and the SPEED channel did a short segment about the dragon a little while ago...
Hey, I resemble that remark! September a group of friends and I spent a whole week there. It was awesome. We stayed at the ridge and had a good time.

On the speed segment, if you're talking about the one they did on superbikes pray that it doesn't draw that crowd. I saw the same one, and it had some good info but also a lot of wheelies/stoppies on a ducati by Jason Britton. Now I think Jason is a hell of a rider, and one of the few stunters that has actually made my jaw drop. But holy crap the spin they have put on sport bikes with that show has made me sick. I'll save my rant about superbikes for a different thread. From what I have heard though, Killboy was interviewed for the gap segment, once he saw the first show though, he told them to pull his segment as he didn't want to be associated with that. Just what I heard.

Lastly, I know there are a ton of roads up there, but which ones are most like the gap. I spent a lot of time on the Cherahola this last that I was up there, and it's a fun run, but I really like the tight technical stuff more then the long sweepers. Are the foothills like that?

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
the gap is alot like disny land. you go there to see the sights and everyone says that they had a good time. it is a blast. ive been there a few times on weekends and durring weekdays. the weekdays are the best, but on weekends, the photographers post on all the abbe cornes to snap pics of you in full lean. i have never seen a cop on the actual road itself. ya, they lower the speed limit, but i think its mostly for cars passing through. minivans will tip over at 50 mph on those turns. and like any road, you ride it easy the first couple of times then go full out. the turns are predictable and if anyone crashes, the photo people will help 100% and in a flash. almost as safe as a track because ive seen ambulences parked at the bottom and theres always someone who can help. its a must ride road

·
Registered
498 Posts
i was in robinsville about 4 mounths ago at the time i did not have a bike but i would have loved to.
was planning on driving the gap but never got a chance to. but the time that i spent driving a car :( around robinsville was great.
definatelly going back with my bike and staying in robinsville. then hitting up the DRAGON!!!
hopefully we can get alot of people from this site to meet up and have a good time

·
Registered
238 Posts
Silver72 said:
Lastly, I know there are a ton of roads up there, but which ones are most like the gap. I spent a lot of time on the Cherahola this last that I was up there, and it's a fun run, but I really like the tight technical stuff more then the long sweepers. Are the foothills like that?

Cheers!
Cherohala is very different from the gap, like you mentioned, instead of tight turns you have a lot of long sweeping high speed curves.. a lot of people wont ride the skyway because people go so fast

Foothills parkway is more of just a leisurely scenic ride/a place where groups pull off to take pictures and meet up... sure you can ride it fast but with all the pulloffs (to see the mountain view) i wouldn't really recommend it (blind turn + car pulling out = not good at high rate of speed).. after you get 3/4 of the way through the parkway (near Happy valley/close to the dragon) the pulloffs end since you are coming down the mountain and you can speed up quite a bit - a mix of tight/long turns.. to sum it up the parkway is a very fun road to ride not just because of the turns but because of the awesome view you get of the mountains...

also, if you go a couple hours from the dragon you can go to shady valley.. they have some roads around there that arent as popular as the dragon but many people claim they are just as fun..

honestly, if you have a GPS on your bike around here you can ride all day on the backroads..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts