Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and searched.. Mainly to find links and threads dating back to 2012 when dipping was getting started, but nothing much since
With that being said, has anyone dipped their bike and had positive outcomes?
Thinking of dipping my 03 600rr I just picked up (puke orange stock color currently). I'd rather not spend 400$ on new fairings because this bike is just a 3k bike I could care less to dump money into, but rather just have fun on and test out dipping potentially.
Did you remove all fairings, or tape/mask off the spots you didn't wanna paint?
Thanks everyone!
Have a 5 star day!

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Dipping can be great as long as your prep. Hell they do it on million dollar cars. Best to go to the dip forum for details about mixing, spraying and prep...

Im sure it will wear off things like the tail and tank as you rub on it etc..

And you have a 5 star night!

·
Registered
116 Posts
The one's I've seen don't hold up long. Don't know if there was prep work that wasn't done or if it's just the nature of being on a bike, but they don't seem to last more than a season before it starts to look bad.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've plastidipped rims on a previous auto...held up after 2 (Central New York) winters and many, many washings. As with anything else in life, it's all about the work you want to put into it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I dipped my 600rr last year and it came out great. Prep work is key along with how you apply your dip. I wouldn't recommend applying it with the sprayer they sell on dipyour car. I used a regular car paint gun, it helped me get a smoother finish. It takes about twice the time if you do it that way though. I can't say how long it will hold up as I don't have the bike anymore. Just be careful installing the fairings again as the screws will make the dip lift. I removed all my fairings and took off the black trim before spraying. It's not easy and took me about 2 weeks+ to get the bike looking how I wanted. You can probably tape/mask off the bike and spray while the fairings are on but I'm it would take longer to do the whole job.

Here's my dip thread to show how it looked.
http://www.600rr.net/#/forumsite/20706/topics/523841?page=1

Here's some pics too!

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,768 Posts
why wouldn't you paint it?

paint is always going to be a better finish than dip, will last longer, and isn't prone to lifting, bubbling, or pulling off.

i think of plastidip as something completely temporary. maybe paint your bike with it as a joke and peel it off later. it isn't a great plan for refinishing your bike.

i understand that people are nervous aboutt doing anything permanent, so that's really your call. i'd never use the stuff if i were serious about the outcome.

·
Registered
271 Posts
why wouldn't you paint it?

paint is always going to be a better finish than dip, will last longer, and isn't prone to lifting, bubbling, or pulling off.

i think of plastidip as something completely temporary. maybe paint your bike with it as a joke and peel it off later. it isn't a great plan for refinishing your bike.

i understand that people are nervous aboutt doing anything permanent, so that's really your call. i'd never use the stuff if i were serious about the outcome.
I agree if you don't like the color now and won't like it later, I think money would be better spent on painting it rather than spending $200 or more for the dip and tool you need dip your bike.

I would just save money and then get everything painted rather than wasting money on dip that can/will peel off eventually.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I dipped my 600rr last year and it came out great. Prep work is key along with how you apply your dip. I wouldn't recommend applying it with the sprayer they sell on dipyour car. I used a regular car paint gun, it helped me get a smoother finish. It takes about twice the time if you do it that way though. I can't say how long it will hold up as I don't have the bike anymore. Just be careful installing the fairings again as the screws with make the dip lift. I removed all my fairings and took off the black trim before spraying. It's not easy and took me about 2 weeks+to get the bike looking how I wanted. You can probably tape/mask off the bike and spray while the fairings are on but I'm it would take longer to do the whole job.

Here's my dip thread to show how it looked.
http://www.600rr.net/#/forumsite/20706/topics/523841?page=1

Here's some pics too!
That came out real nice! Absolutely love the look of a clean white bike!

·
Registered
72 Posts
It's hard to tell in the pictures but it's a chameleon flake on top of the white. Makes it look crazy in the light. So hard to capture in a picture.

Still hard to tell but you can see the pinks,reds,greens and blues coming off the gloss coat in this pic.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,768 Posts
can you post some close-ups of the finish at fairing joints and fasteners?

almost anything looks good from afar

·
Registered
340 Posts
About 2 months after a dip job on a motorcycle, you are bound to have snags, oil marks, dirt marks, and tears. You almost need to clearcoat over it to protect it. Or use that metallizer stuff.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Its temporary like Wibbly said that's the point. It's for someone who wants to change their color and repainted it when they feel...

Its cool and a great idea. I wouldnt go crazy on the prep thats kind of the point.. wash it clean with alcohol or something that that. Tape it off or remove and spray.. shouldn't be 20 hrs of prep unless your doing actually paint imo..

·
Registered
72 Posts
About 2 months after a dip job on a motorcycle, you are bound to have snags, oil marks, dirt marks, and tears. You almost need to clearcoat over it to protect it. Or use that metallizer stuff.
Exactly! That's the worst part of dipping something, keeping it clean is damn near impossible. I was never able to get grease smudges off the bike. If I was going to changend the color on my bike now, I would either paint it or get new fairings. Dip is definitely cheaper than getting a good paint job or decent fairings (not talking about auctmarts garbage).

Here's the rest of what I have, you can see the finish is dimpled and not perfectly smooth but that's what you get with dip.

·
Registered
862 Posts
How's it holding up on the tank sides? I was hesitant to dip the whole bike for that reason. I did dip the belly pan black just because I had some left overs from a completely unrelated project when I painted my bike.

I wouldn't call it a solely temporary solution though. At least in my case where the belly pan has some dings, I can easily peel a section and cover it back up and not have to worry about scratches showing through again. Basically using it as cheapo armor.

·
Registered
72 Posts
How's it holding up on the tank sides? I was hesitant to dip the whole bike for that reason. I did dip the belly pan black just because I had some left overs from a completely unrelated project when I painted my bike.

I wouldn't call it a solely temporary solution though. At least in my case where the belly pan has some dings, I can easily peel a section and cover it back up and not have to worry about scratches showing through again. Basically using it as cheapo armor.
The tank sides peeled off first, I turned the air up quite a bit to get a rough finish on the sides when I sprayed it. The rough texture created a stomp-grip style grip for my legs but it also made my jeans lift the paint. If you spray them smooth I'm sure it would hold up longer, but you might still have trouble with the black unpainted plastic pieces as the plastidip won't bond to it like it does for normal paint. Out of the 6 months I had it dipped it held up great! Only had to remove the dip off the tank sides and the triangle piece on the mid fairings. They would have been fine if I had used a plastic washer in between the dip and screws. That's the one thing I recommend if you do dip your bike, be sure to use those clear plastic washers with all fairing bolts that will be over dip!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've got my trackbike dipped. You need to get some clear sticky acrylics/vynal to put over the tank, and storm grips for your legs to really prevent it from peeling.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts