Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i'm going to Bert's Mega Mall this weekend just to be a window shoper, but mainly to try gear on and see how it fits and what sizes. So i'm just wondering if you guys have any suggestions or alternatives to try also while i'm there. The gear I will be specifically looking for... As listed here:

Helmet: AGV- GP Tech
Gloves: Alpinestar GP Pro or Plus
Jacket: Alpinestar GP plus
Boots: SIDI Vertigo Boots
Armor: Undecided
Pants: probably look into some kevlar jeans.

fyi: I don't plan to go to a track for a while. So this gear is all for the streets.
Any input would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
All sounds smart to me. The only thing I would get instead is pants with knee pads in them, rather than just the double layer jean style. But even the kevlar ones do pretty good.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, haven't really looked to much into pants or knee pads so I stiil need to research that. But thank you for the quick reply.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Have you tried on the AGV helmet? If not make sure you do, all brands fit differently so find the one that fits your head the best. For me it's Arai.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Berts has plenty of gear to chose from...Be careful, I went as a window shopper and i couldn't resist an A* jacket...took it to the butt without lube!!!!
So leave ur credit cards and money at home to resist temptation!
YOu should try on 1 pc suits just for fun!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To Luke:
No I have not, that is also a big reason why I'm there to try on size and if my head might be an odd shape lol. The other helmet I want to look at is the shoei rf1100.

To Ezzy:
That's funny as hell, but luckily I'm getting my bike in July so I'm waiting to buy gear because I'm not sure if I'm getting the red/black 07 600rr or the black. So waiting on the gear to match. Oh and will the workers at Bert's look at me funny if I wear the helmet for like ten minutes to check if it feels comfortable?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check the Arai and Shark helmets too.
Any specific model of Arai that isn't over $550? Because they seem to be expensive. Or is there a reasonably priced but still good helmet model?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I replaced some Dainese gloves (similar to the Hellfire EVO) that were stolen with some A* GP Plus. The Dainese held up pretty well, though the A*'s that replaced them fit so well, I hardly miss them at all. :biggrin:

The knuckle on my right pinky had always become sore after a long day of riding. Thus far, the A*'s have been the best set of gloves I have enjoyed.

I also have some A* Ridge Waterproof Boots for everyday riding. They are super comfortable, don't squeek and have pretty good traction/support. Didn't take long at all to break-in. I actually fell asleep in them one night...lmao.

Good to see you not skimping on gear. Hope the info helps.

Peace,

Gabe

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
hey, good gear choices. youll know exactly what you want once you go there and try everything on.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks you guys for the input so far. It has really helped. Gabe you reassured me in my choice of Alpine, and Luke I appreciate the suggestions and going the extra step with the links. Great community can't wait to get out there and join you guys! :shakehand

·
Registered
137 Posts
I suggest just buying a 2-piece suit, and some knee pads.

Wear the suit for spirited rides, wear the top of the suit + jeans + knee pads for commuting or whatever else.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Def try on an Arai, I have a gp-tech and rx7...I take the Arai over the Agv anyday

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
If you plan to ride in jeans you can get some MX knee/shin guards to wear underneath them. Prices vary depending on brands. A couple people I know do this and I thought it was a great idea.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will definitely be going Saturday with a little more things to thinks about. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Bert's does have the AGV GP-Tech in stock, but not sure how many sizes they have - they didn't have the XS when I asked to try it.

Most of the gear you've listed seems pretty good. As recommended by one of the other members, I'd say just go for a 2-Piece Suit and knee/shin armor to commute/cruise around with.

As for boots, the Vertigo Air Boots would be the one's you want, since we live in SoCal and it does get pretty hot during the summer.

If you want to save money, then don't purchase anything at a local dealer. No matter what, I've always found better pricing online; and when you purchase from vendors that are out of state there is no sales tax :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I was planning on just size fitting there and prize browsing on the web. Question about the pants for every day use. I'm going to be commuting to college on my bike and wondering how comfortable and practical are racing pants for that?

EDIT: ignore ignore, now I see what you meant about the pants for cruising and the knee pads and pants for commuting.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "racing pants" but I'm going to assume that you're referring to leather pants with the sliders and all. If that's what you're referring to, just imagine wearing the same leather pants everyday - they're supposed to be form fitting and you WILL sweat in them.

On the other hand, if you're referring to "riding pants" which are usually made out of a textile material, then I'd say they are more practical for everyday commuting. They're usually made of synthetic materials such as nylon and/or other "stronger" materials. They will provide you with better protection than jeans because they'll be more abrasion resistant and will also have built in knee/shin protectors.

When I first started riding, I bought a pair of Dainese Textile pants that worked really well. They had vents that could be opened or closed depending on the weather to allow or disallow airflow. They were a clean looking pair of pants and if I through on a dress shirt I'd look pretty good :p

I did have a spill with those on and they protected me very nicely. As I slid on the ground, the fabric did wear through a bit, but the hard armor stayed in place and left me unscathed.

DAMN, I was still typing while you edited :p Anyway, hope it helps. Depending on your size, I might have a few items that I'll sell for cheap. I no longer use them, so they just sit around. I have a Size Small Firstgear Textile Jacket that breathes really well. I also have the aforementioned riding pants (with minor damage of course) if you're interested.

Yeah, I was planning on just size fitting there and prize browsing on the web. Question about the pants for every day use. I'm going to be commuting to college on my bike and wondering how comfortable and practical are racing pants for that? ignore ignore, now I see what you meant about the pants for cruising and the knee pads and pants for commuting.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Haha yeah I edited my post because a I read it too fast when I replied. Then realized what was being said. But after I take a trip down tomorrow to get sizes and look at alot of different sizes I'll PM you and see what you have to offer. FYI I'm 5'9" 160, so if your gear fits that then feel free just to PM the gear list. Thanks :shakehand

1 - 20 of 20 Posts