Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo Im new to the RR but I just bought a new 600rr(2003). I finally broke 1650 and all of a sudden I heard chattering in the engine box. Next it down shifted lost power and blew out white smoke, after that it just finally shut off and oil was dripping everywhere. Took it back to the dealer and was told I threw a rod. They also said I stayed in the rev limiter which is rarely and I take good care of my bike. My bike did have minor smoke before all this happen so just trying to see if this is common in hondas or what. Any input? Thanks

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Damn dude that sucks! NO WAY is that common for Hondas (or any late model sport bike for that matter) to be throwing rods that isn't HEAVILY modified at any milage. I've seen bikes throw rods across the track at drag strips but those bikes are blown, juiced, etc ... You REALLY need to get Honda to cover that! This is no way your fault. Let us know what happens!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well they are fixing it cuz I know the service manager at the store. Im not sure if they are replacing the engine or just the parts. They want to do test on the bike though cuz they even say its not common

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
I'm sure Corporate Honda is going to want some answers for why that motor tossed a rod at 1,600 miles. Even if you didn't change the oil from break-in it shouldn't throw a rod. Someone's got some splainin to do!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
^^ Exactly, i dont see how in hell you can throw a rod through a stock bike with that many miles no matter WHAT you do. I couldn't do that if i tried! Did someone forget to torque a rod cap bolt to spec? wrist pin? journal bolt? OOPS!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
are you the only owner of the bike?
for that many miles for an '03 was it sitting around for a long period of time?
this isn't common, what's the history of the bike?

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
APEX_600RR said:
^^ Exactly, i dont see how in hell you can throw a rod through a stock bike with that many miles no matter WHAT you do. I couldn't do that if i tried! Did someone forget to torque a rod cap bolt to spec? wrist pin? journal bolt? OOPS!!
That's what I was thinking. Someone forgot to torque something at the factory.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes im the first owner got it from dealership this year so it was brand new with no mile. I did the first maintence oil change thingy and oil. Even took the time to break it in. Also this is a big one I was told that Hondas oil is so clean that you cant see it through the peep sight when you check to see if the oil level is good? Someone please tell me that thats not right.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
^^ Hahaha no no no, you can see it, they were exaggerating. Any oil will look pretty clear when its first changed but once the motor is ran it will start to pick up carbon and deposites, that's what its for!

·
Registered
787 Posts
the bike is an '03, and you bought it in '06 with no miles ? did the dealer stash it up somewhere and forgot about it for 3 years or something ?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
teg said:
the bike is an '03, and you bought it in '06 with no miles ? did the dealer stash it up somewhere and forgot about it for 3 years or something ?
That's exactly what I was wondering as well. And how much did you pay OTD for this gem?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
6900 it was in a truck that wreck and the front mirror and fairing was cracked so after the insurance and all that bull I guest and putting it together they finally got it on the floor not really sure what took so long all I know is I was going to pick up an 05 but this 03 looked better than they did so I got that and it was like 400 cheaper. Wish I got the 05 now lol.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
^^ Ya Honda stashes bikes in a big ass wherehouse to be shipped off the dealers and sometimes they sit there for years before the stock it completely empty. I bought an o2 954 (of course it was built in o1) in the spring of o4 brand new even though it was 3 years old. You get best deal on em because they are desperate to get rid of em!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts