Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running Galfer Wave Rotors along with the Galfer pads front and rear.

Basically, when light pressure is applied to the front brakes I am hearing a ticking noise that coincides with the revolutions of the wheel speed. Also, under different brake lever pressures I can feel the "ticking" noise through the brake lever.

I have visually inspected the rotor (while on the wheel) and nothing looks out of the ordinary. I have not gotten around to physically taking off the calipers to inspect if the noise is originating from there.

I'm hoping that its not a warped rotor as that would be bad...but that really wouldn't make any sense for it to be warped as they are getting normal usage. Short of writing Galfer for maybe why this is happening, anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
is it a ticking, or more of a buzzing?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely a ticking noise. Just imagine hearing "tick.tick..tick...tick....tick" when you are slowing down.

D

·
0 Posts
Check that the pads are not moving and that the calipers/rotor are torqued properly.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So think I found out what it is.

The rotor is moving around on the pivots. I am actually getting play by gripping the right rotor (the actual part that makes contact with the pads) and shaking it up and down. The left rotor is absolutely fine with no play at all. Looks like I just got a bad rotor.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts

The rotor is moving around on the pivots. I am actually getting play by gripping the right rotor (the actual part that makes contact with the pads) and shaking it up and down. The left rotor is absolutely fine with no play at all. Looks like I just got a bad rotor.
last i checked, the rotors on the rr's are semi floating, meaning there should be a smidge of movement between the carrier and the rotor it self.

D

·
0 Posts

The rotor with no play will be your bad one. Floating rotors are supposed to have play, which those Galfer's are.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The rotor with no play will be your bad one. Floating rotors are supposed to have play, which those Galfer's are.
I made a video, which will be on youtube here shortly.

The thing is that it has a good deal of play. But you think that if it doesn't move at all the rotor is bad?

D

·
0 Posts
I made a video, which will be on youtube here shortly.

The thing is that it has a good deal of play. But you think that if it doesn't move at all the rotor is bad?
Full floating rotors should have .5mm-1mm of side to side movement. If it has any more than that or doesn't move, there is a problem.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, if I had to guesstimate I would say that it has about the 0.5mm to 1.0mm play that you speak of, and honestly it makes sense as it is a floating rotor. Spose you dont know off the top of your head what the warranty length of the regular wave rotors are?

D

·
0 Posts
You'll have to contact Galfer about that. Not sure they have a warranty though because it's a wear and tear item.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts