Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local dealer tells me I shouldn't use these straps... Anyone using these? I'm not seeing how they won't work... they have a 533 lb. load limit. and 1,600 lb. test nylon webbing... As far as I see it... I just need some one to load the from sup. so I get it tight enough... i don't see how they wouldn't hold...

·
Registered
510 Posts
I don't trust the cam buckle types exclusively as they tend to loosen in the end. You need at least a pair of ratchet type for front and cam buckles for rear.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Some prefer ratchet some prefer those. Both have worked for me, with the exception of cheap ratchets bending and coming loose.

It also depends what you're transporting with. For the bed of a truck two straps on the front works fine. Trallers tend to flex and move the bike around so you want to be much mroe carefull there.

The good thing about those that you have is you don't need someone to compress the front. You lean the bike to eaither side while holding the end of the strap to pull it tight, kindof rocking from side to side. the ratchets you don't need someone to compress either, you go from one side to the other tightening down a few clicks at a time, a bit more of a hassel running from side to side.

·
Registered
356 Posts
There's nothing wrong with those straps at all, along with Honda, kaw, and yam, I used to be an American Ironhorse dealer, we used straps exactly like that to deliver $32,000 bikes, Two will work, but four is better, I used to use those littel wrap around strap extensions to make sure there was no metal on metal or fairing contact. after you compress the straps to your satisfaction, just tie a simple knot with the slack left, tie it around the part thats pulled tight just below the cam buckle, this acts as a back up, so it the buckle gives out the knot will hold and you will just have to cut the strap. Any one that tells you those straps won't do, doesn't have a clue.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I use the pull type, and have never had a problem. When using the ratchet sets it took forever to get them right. I can tie down two bikes in 15 minutes with the pull straps, and it takes almost twice that long with the other ones.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
i also use these same straps and they work just fine. i wouldnt worry much about it

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
I use the same kind. I use them to take the front wheel off during servicing.

The only caution about using the ratchet type is that some people tighten them down too tight and damage the front seals. It's almost impossible with the pull type. Whatever type you choose make sure you leave enough travel in the forks for bumps in the road.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts