Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Say you're turning left...slide your butt all the way to the right side of the seat..almost off of it...to balance the bike more...and look to where you want to go..dont look at the ground in front of the tire.....sure others will have more advice...

·
Registered
79 Posts
look thru the turn, move your seat to the outside edge.. thats what they tell you in the msf course.. i personally like to stand up on the pegs and shift my weight to the outside a little when doing that..

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Just like the two above. No real secrets.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Lean your bike into the turn and sit upright, dont lean your body into the turn with your bike. Also like already mentioned the slower you go the tighter turn you can make.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Keep your foot off the peg to give you some mental security until you learn the balance and feel more comfortable on the bike. The biggest challenges in riding is learning to use what's between the ears.

·
Registered
492 Posts
crank all the way left and grab the front brake hard.

no not really.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
the slower i go, the harder it is to turn. never fully lock the steering wile turning, that will usually cause the bike to go down. umm before learning how to do this, make sure you have wicked wicked strong legs so you can put all the weight out the bike on one foot if you do go down. or get frame sliders :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Ride the front brake while you slip the clutch, will add alot to stablility. I steer my bike lock to lock using this method.

Also, give it some more gas after you get the U-turn started so you can lean it over a bit more, then your turn won't take all day.

·
Registered
799 Posts
This is one of the few times a bike turns like a car (going left requires pushing the RIGHT bar), the reason is there's little gyro effect to make the bike want to flip over. This is why you need to get all your weight to the opposite side of the turn, that way you can track the wheel to the left and not fall over. When it doubt put the foot down and gas it dirt track style... no, not really :)

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
If you haven't yet take the MSF they make you do a figure 8 in a rectangle box which simulates making U turns. They teach you basic techniques there and if your having trouble making a u turn then you should probably look into going to that course.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Did you ever see the movie Torque? They stood up a twelve oclock wheelie and just spun the sucker right around. I think it was after the guy jumped his Aprillia off of the moving train. I usually just counter weight the bike and modulate the brake and throttle while looking where I want to go.

N

·
0 Posts
fireblade said:
Isn't the rear brake supposed to be used for U-turns?
LOL!!!

What? As you're gasing it?....lol

Sorry, just found that funny. The answer is no.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
gofast said:
Did you ever see the movie Torque? They stood up a twelve oclock wheelie and just spun the sucker right around. I think it was after the guy jumped his Aprillia off of the moving train. I usually just counter weight the bike and modulate the brake and throttle while looking where I want to go.
I love that movie, that's where I learned to ride a m/c..... screw the MSC!!

j/k that movie is :bs:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nemesis said:
LOL!!!

What? As you're gasing it?....lol

Sorry, just found that funny. The answer is no.
uhh...I am a newbie to sportbikes, but not to motorcycles, so there's a chance I could be wrong but: I passed my motorcycle endorsement test on my RR with a perfect score, and the _only_ way I was able to do it was from several 3 hour sessions of practice in which I kept the clutch in the friction zone, gassed the throttle to 2k - 2.5k, and modulated the rear brake to slow the bike down. I _know_ this is the proper technique for slow-speed maneuvering on motorcycles in general. Should I have been doing something else instead? This same technique allows for supertight u-turns going like 3mph....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts