Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems I should pay attention to a rattle sound inside engine as it should prevent from what I got now... Actually I thought it is a sound from clutch...
Actually it wasn't... Seems timing chain tensioner failed and I got timing chain jumped over and lost timing... Thanks god all the valves are OK. Seems this bike was running a LOONG time with a loose timing chain.
What I wanna say is IF YOU HEAR A RATTLE SOUND FROM RIGHT SIDE OF THE ENGINE YOU SHOULD CHECK IF TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER WORKS PROPERLY...

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
holy smokes..!

did you take the head off and look at the valves and pistons? i would be amazed you didn't kiss a couple if you jumped timing.

·
BOTM Winner 07/12
1,714 Posts
Ouch. A guy lose his at a trackday last year. The sounds it made were not good.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
holy smokes..!

did you take the head off and look at the valves and pistons? i would be amazed you didn't kiss a couple if you jumped timing.
Head is off now. Clean. No any signs of damage. Tested valves if they are bent. All of them are OK. Seems I was lucky one...
Waiting for a new manual timing chain tensioner, runners and timing chain.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ouch. A guy lose his at a trackday last year. The sounds it made were not good.
That's what I supposed to say with this thread - do not waste time when You get a rattle sound on right side of the engine. Just fix/replace timing chain tensioner.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hey i have probably the same noise.
When you had your head off the block, was the engine completely out of the frame?
If not, can you replace the timing chain and all chain guides without removing engine from frame?

I haven't been able to find anything or anyone removing an engine from frame or how to replace timing chain with guides.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,811 Posts
You can do a timing chain, tensioner and guides with the engine in frame. All you need to do is pull the valve cover and clutch cover.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts