Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be trailering my bike to NC in a couple weeks. Any tips for a NOOB for taking to these streets? I have seen some nasty accidents on roads lie these and I would like to try to avoid this! lol.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Figure out where your skills fall in relation to turn warning signs. Most turns have them. I'll usually do twice the posted warning for the turn the first time through. I know at two times the posting, I'll always make it through the turn ok. I won't go above that on the street unless I've been through the turn a few times and know that I can safely go faster. Don't try to keep up with someone just because you're scared of getting lost. I've seen that go wrong many times over. For some of these mountain roads, I wear the same gear that I do for the track. On really tight turns, watch out for cars crossing a double yellow in the middle of the turn. Carry some of that radiator repair putty. You don't want to get stuck up in the mountains because you caught a rock off of the guy in front of you.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Don't go any faster than you feel comfortable; even if others are zooming by or vanishing into the distance.
Don't push your limits the first run through an area learn the road first then get better.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats Cushdrive! I will keep all of these points in mind. I don't do track yet. I do have full gear though. It is around 70 degrees there when I am going gahhh I cannot wait!

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I am going to be trailering my bike to NC in a couple weeks. Any tips for a NOOB for taking to these streets? I have seen some nasty accidents on roads lie these and I would like to try to avoid this! lol.

Do you have a wheel choke for the bike? Trailer size? I just trailered mine down to S.C. not too bad of a ride. Just had to drive extra cautious... But if your bike is secure you will be fine. Just remember that you are towing Precious Cargo:crackup:. Also I noticed that the trailer swirled a good deal when around 78mph. Just food for thought.

But I would really get a wheel choke if you don't have one. I learned the hard way :cursin: My 1st time every towing my bike my straps broke on one side an I watched my bike fall over through the review mirror, crack the tail. Too pissed! Please learn from my mistake.

LOL and far as riding in the mtns... bro just take your time I've seen some sick crashes! Ride the road at least 4x before you decide ya wanna increase your speed. BRING YOUR TOOL BOX. I experience a few issues while up there... bc I wasn't prepared I sent a ass of $$$ to get it repaired.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm so jealous your'e going there.... You going ride the dragon? As far as the riding just take it easy and don't ride past your limits. When I first rode down there I had only been riding for a month beforehand and I didn't have any trouble. Like otheres said watch the signs on the curves, there pretty accurate. Then figure out how much faster you wanna take them. Engine brake, engine brake, engine brake. Be careful on the downgrades, be sure to be in a low gear before the turn. If you go into a turn too fast, lean harder, don't panic and hit the brakes or you will most likely loose control.. and most importantly, be careful and have fun!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no idea where I am going yet. I'm just going to take it easy until I get comfortable enough to go a little faster each time. I am not going to be dragging my knee or anything! haha.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I have no idea where I am going yet. I'm just going to take it easy until I get comfortable enough to go a little faster each time. I am not going to be dragging my knee or anything! haha.
:+1: Great approach... Seen pics of riders going down and having to be airlifted outta there. Ouch... Have fun... Will you be recording your ride?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Go at your own pace.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I won't be recording. I do not have any of that stuff ATM. Thanks everyone for these tips! Man the neighbors are gonna hate me when I am driving up to my parents house with the LV on! bwuahahaha!

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
You're going to be better off in a lower gear (higher rpm) than you think. You can do almost everything up there in 2nd or 3rd, most in 2nd. That will give you the ability to make small line corrections with the throttle.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Definitely stay in lower gear - 2nd or 3rd, throttle control is key. Ride the route 3-4x before you start to push things, a lot of canyons are blind. Always focus on the road and be aware of others in your peripheral.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just went for my first ride yesterday! Holy sshhhhmokes is that fun! haha. Put about 250 miles on her! Keeping it in 3rd and 4th my first time. Was a tad scary sometimes, but in between the twisties there is a sick straight-a-way that stretches a touch under a mile. This is when I lay on the tank cover and farkin haul!

I have seen more than a hand full of sport bikers and yes some nice cruiser people. I am petrified of taking my left hand off to wave or (the peace sign for keep the wheels down). I feel like a douche, but I do the head nod.

I have a strong feeling the older HD crowd hates us especially around here.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ride at your own pace, gear up, and don't look at the scenery unless you are stopped. Beware of road debris (rocks, dirt, limbs) as there is always something coming off the hillsides into the roads. Also look out for water seepage from the hillsides coming onto the roads. If you go to the Dragon, beware of the squids and cars crossing the centerline. Because of the squids, law enforcement is pretty heavey handed directly around the Dragon and they are usually out in force. Semis will occasionally try the Dragon, so look out going around the blind curves, there may be a truck blocking the road. Two good websites for the area are www.dealsgap.com and www.tailofthedragon.com. The traffic in and around Gatlinberg and Pidgeonforge is terrible, so avoid them if possible. If you are close to Asheville, go to the Biltmore Estate, it's pretty amazing. Also, hit the Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley NC. WELL worth the time if you like classic and antique motorcycles.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Where you at man? Im in canton/waynesville(20 mile west of asheville). We need to ride or you should come to my firework show sunday night.. PM me

·
Jack Daniels is my bff
1,985 Posts
Just take it easy at first and you'll be fine. One piece of advice that stuck with me during my first trip to the mountains was that if I ended up going into a turn too hot was stay calm and keep looking through the turn no matter what and you will pull through. I had this repeating in the back of my head the entire ride and it helped me through some heart pounding moments lol.

Have fun and be safe!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts