Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so some idiot ran me over on my R1 a month or so ago and I'm gonna b switching to a CBR600, but not new, my R1 will b the only new bike I'll have ever bought unless i win the lottery. some people question this move from a 1000 to a 600, my logic is i don't need to go 150 on the freeway and a 600 is quicker on the front end and better on gas, plus i wanna repsol it so thats an automatic 15 more horsepower right there, plenty right? does carfax work for bikes? I'm looking on craigslist in my area for the perfect buy, an 08 with under 2k miles. would i even need a carfax on a bike with that lo miles? O, and since I'm gonna repsol my cbr does anyone know where to get orange rims? i know i can just get them powder coated but who knows, mayb the stock blk will look just as good, thanks

·
Vendor
14,330 Posts
Your eyes will tell you more than a carfax will.. Harder to hide things on a bike since it's smaller.

Look for damage. Bar ends,case covers, sliders (slider damage) swingarm. Know as much about 07-09 600rr as possible.. Color of bodywork ect... See if the bike has been pieced together with different bodywork. TIRE(s) and CONDITION... This will tell you a ton. Original owner, maintenance done on the bike. Site window to see the oil color. Make sure the bike is cold when you go see it and you watch or you start the bike to see how it works cold.
Look for missing parts or added parts.. Sprocket sizes (stock?) Is mods are done who did the mod install and does it look professional. Mileage price in the same ball park. Enjoy it, nice bike.. T

·
Registered
383 Posts
Your eyes will tell you more than a carfax will.. Harder to hide things on a bike since it's smaller.

Look for damage. Bar ends,case covers, sliders (slider damage) swingarm. Know as much about 07-09 600rr as possible.. Color of bodywork ect... See if the bike has been pieced together with different bodywork. TIRE(s) and CONDITION... This will tell you a ton. Original owner, maintenance done on the bike. Site window to see the oil color. Make sure the bike is cold when you go see it and you watch or you start the bike to see how it works cold.
Look for missing parts or added parts.. Sprocket sizes (stock?) Is mods are done who did the mod install and does it look professional. Mileage price in the same ball park. Enjoy it, nice bike.. T
This is true to a certain degree, but I would still get a carfax. I bought a bike that had 1200 miles (was 2 years old), had a clear title and looked minty clean. When I sold it, I found out that it had been wrecked and suffered 5k worth of damage prior to my ownership. Even though I couldn't see any damage at all, it had been previously wrecked. Learn from my mistake and get a carfax report. It will at least tell you if there has been an insurance claim on the bike and even if there is no visible damage, it will give you bargaining power with the seller.
One thing that the previous owner of my bike did, I and will do to my bike, is to keep an on going maintenance log and receipts for the maintenance. It was nice to be able to see exactly when everything was performed and have the recipts to prove it.:thumbup:

·
Vendor
14,330 Posts
I guess in some eyes you can't see everything. Others that see the bike all the time can see when things have been removed or changed after purchase. You can see tool marks on the torque bolts on the front end, see stand scraps from a front lift if fork work has been done. Car fax won't hurt you either, That sucks but sounds like bike was repaired right since you didn't notice.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I didn't have any problems with the bike at all. BUT, it pissed me off when the new owner called me and wanted to know about the wreck when I didn't even know it had been in one. As far as tool marks go, a used bike will typically have marks on bolts for fairings if the owner has done any kind of maintenance.
Make sure to check the sub-frame for any tweaks. It seems the subframe tends to bend and break easily.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Not sure where you are from, but I would wait till November if you can, only because around here (Chicago) bikes drop a couple thousand bucks when winter time rolls around. As for going from a 1000 to 600, i completely understand when i started out i had an 01 f4i and after 6 years of beating it to pieces i bought an 08 Gsx-r 1k although the power is unbelievable, i kind of miss my 600 just bc you can have more fun bangn gears without getting into too much trouble, they handle better, better gas mileage, cheaper insurance. So I get your point. As far checking the condition, check the vin on the motor and frame to make sure they match look for scratches, make sure you have real oem plastics, i would ask the guy for any service records on the bike, if it was dealer serviced have them check the mileage to make sure he hasnt swapped clusters.

·
Banned
280 Posts
I took my tool kit with me when I went to purchas my bike.. (and a blankey) ... No seriously though.. layed the blanket down next to the bike and the dude was like what are you doing bro? I said if Im droping coin I want to know its worth it.. so I started removing farings and placing them on the blanket untill the bike was completely naked .. looked over it and she was clean.. put her clothes back on and then started her up cold... nice and smooth..took it for a quick ride around the block and back then handed over the G's and rode off.. bike is cleaaaaan .. other than the fork seals that poped on me after a brief one wheel salute that came down too hard .. << stupid

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I took my tool kit with me when I went to purchas my bike.. (and a blankey) ... No seriously though.. layed the blanket down next to the bike and the dude was like what are you doing bro? I said if Im droping coin I want to know its worth it.. so I started removing farings and placing them on the blanket untill the bike was completely naked .. looked over it and she was clean.. put her clothes back on and then started her up cold... nice and smooth..took it for a quick ride around the block and back then handed over the G's and rode off.. bike is cleaaaaan .. other than the fork seals that poped on me after a brief one wheel salute that came down too hard .. << stupid
i whould have started beating you if you were looking to buy my bike and just started to take the fairings off

·
Registered
457 Posts
the thing with a carfax is that it only has reported accidents. How many riders drop bikes, and either ride them home and repair them or have their friend trailer the bike back home without any LEO involvement

·
Banned
280 Posts
i whould have started beating you if you were looking to buy my bike and just started to take the fairings off

He was like WTF? when I laid out the blanket .. I expressed to him before proceeding what my objective was.. he was cool with it... ( gave him half the cash ) so he would feel alright with me breaking it down in front of him.

·
Registered
435 Posts
He was like WTF? when I laid out the blanket .. I expressed to him before proceeding what my objective was.. he was cool with it... ( gave him half the cash ) so he would feel alright with me breaking it down in front of him.
Still, I wouldn't let you take the fairings off. I would do it for him, but not the other way around.

·
Registered
359 Posts
in my oppinion if your going to buy that new of a bike you can probably get a brand new left over 09 for pretty close to the same price and honda finance is much better than Yamahas finance company better interest rates and you have a bike with 0 miles that you can ride the break in period so you know its done to your liking and if something goes wrong and fux up on ya its warrantied

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for that link, I've never seen the rep up that close and with that much detail. damn that bike is the shiat. ins co is giving me 8k for my R1 so no finance required, i just found a 600 08 graffiti ed for $6500, 1300mi!!!!! to bad its 1.5hr away. if it wasnt so far i wouldnt hesitate. there's no way I'm gonna get an 09 for close to $6500 otd. so whats the best way to exchange money, cashiers check? cash seems sorta risky, i mean walkin around with 6-7 thousand dollars doesnt seem the safest thing to do

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
we have indian summers in sf bay area, so its crazy hot in sept/oct, its freezing right now, well about 50

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dude get a postal money or bank check, got my 08 600 graffiti 2400 mi for 5k dude just wanted to get it sold. He said to much power for his first bike road it 1hr to my house,so 1.5 hrs is not bad so get it if you like it.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
we have indian summers in sf bay area, so its crazy hot in sept/oct, its freezing right now, well about 50

dude I just got my bike, and was searching CL like crazy, 6500, is a bit much from what I have seen, keep looking and you will find the one,

check out this place to search all CA cities on craigslist,
http://bouncingknee.com/
its a free craigslist search tool, you can search all of the US or just CA,

come october prices will drop, really in the next few months we will have some noobs fall out, some people who are getting out of the game, one dude just wrecked broke his leg and is selling all his gear and bike on CL, here in the bay,

oh yeah, where you at man, I m in SJ, looking for folks to ride with,

oh yeah, look at the fork seals, make sure no leaks or signs of leaking, ask if it was stunted and pay attention to the answer, pull the throttle, check the pads, and the rotor for high speed stops, (dark bands) you can also do a VIN search on the net for cheaper than carfax, check out the DMV site, they have some listed its like 4 bucks, good luck on your search!!!!!

03-black-600rr

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
im in daly city, but sanho seems cool, i know there's tons of fine latina hotties out there

1 - 20 of 21 Posts