Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 07 with 4200 miles on it. I noticed that I have some blueish discoloration on the front and rear tires along the sides. It feels kind of slick to the touch. ive rode twisties on these tires and Ive only done one trackday on it and I know that I didnt push the tires anywhere near the limit. They are original stock tires, ive heard about tires sweating oils, but Im not totally sure what that entails, and I dont think that this is the case, yet it seems to have a blueish oily hue to it. is this a normal thing? Any help is appreciated

D

·
0 Posts
You overheated the tires, which will cause bluing to occur when the oils sweat out of the tire. You also have a lot of dry rotting that I can see on the front tire. Either you're running way too lose of tire pressures and overworking the tire, or the tires are old. Either way, the front is in need of replacement. What PSI are the tires at?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I normally have it around 32f 36r. Pressure too low causing overheating right? The tires are the original ones that i got when i bought the bike which was off a woman, who only put 300 miles on it in 2 years. So needless to say im due for some new tires next season?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also seeing as how its sweating oil and it feels kinda slick, could that have lead to a prob had I got the bike leaned over too much?

D

·
0 Posts
Yes, too low of pressure will cause overheating. 32psi/36psi isn't bad, unless it's been getting colder out and you haven't adjusted the pressures for the temperature and riding on a track. Chances are those tires are 4 years old and should be replaced.

Edit: It will lead to a problem if you try riding above what the tires have to offer. With the minimal side wear and flat spots, it doesn't look like you lean the bike over much anyway. However, overheated, old, and dry rotting tires are not something you're going to want to be pushing on.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the help. I already put the bike away for the winter so I have plenty of time to get some new tires slapped on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts