Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only took about 20 minutes before it started falling apart like this.

Was wondering if anyone had seen anything like this before? Is it a defective tire? I wasn't pushing hard at all and its got me kind of worried...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Toe said:
Thats normal.
Even when you dont push it hard on the track, your always leaning which really heats up the tires, causing them to "blister" like in the pic
damn, that is a big picture, I'l resize it later.

If you look closer, you may be able to tell that those are chunks missing from the tire, not blistered rubber....At least not that I've seen before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,266 Posts
Tires usually come with a coating that wears off the first few days of riding, but that really doesnt look like the coating to me. I'd definitely take it somewhere to get checked out. I'd actually take it to a different tire store than the one you bought it at so youre more likely to get an honest opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,247 Posts
It Looks like the hose clamp at the top left is hitting the tire at some point. which would explain why theres some chunks coming off, try turning the clamp so that the thicker part is away from the tire. LMK how it turns out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,266 Posts
sytfu_RR said:
It Looks like the hose clamp at the top left is hitting the tire at some point. which would explain why theres some chunks coming off, try turning the clamp so that the thicker part is away from the tire. LMK how it turns out.
Wow...good observation. Is there any rubber on the clamp?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
428 Posts
if you look at the tire on the left side it almost looks like its scrapping something. you got a groove going around the tire. Did you adjust you chain at all? Maybe your wheel isnt lined up straight and its eating the tire.

Heat + Off center + Scrapping = Your tire
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
sytfu_RR said:
It Looks like the hose clamp at the top left is hitting the tire at some point. which would explain why theres some chunks coming off, try turning the clamp so that the thicker part is away from the tire. LMK how it turns out.

I really dont think that the rear tire travels this high to hit that clamp!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sytfu_RR said:
It Looks like the hose clamp at the top left is hitting the tire at some point. which would explain why theres some chunks coming off, try turning the clamp so that the thicker part is away from the tire. LMK how it turns out.
That was a good thought, but it is happening on both sides.

NewRedRider said:
Are you on a track or the streets? Also, what pressure are you running?
Just the tracks. I was running 24 in the back and 30 up front. I know it was the correct pressure and dead on because our local Michelin guy is the one who put them on.

acldillill said:
if you look at the tire on the left side it almost looks like its scrapping something. you got a groove going around the tire. Did you adjust you chain at all? Maybe your wheel isnt lined up straight and its eating the tire.

Heat + Off center + Scrapping = Your tire
Another good thought. I had just changed them that morning, so it is a possibility. I've changed my own tires more than a few times and never had this happen before. Im rather precise when it comes to these things, but it is worth checking out again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
428 Posts
or maybe nothing is wrong and the tire shop put on a really soft tire. You can get diffrent tire compounds. so if it was a soft tire and it was hot as hell out and you were flying around then that would be normal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, i just checked with other guys that run the same track. I've got a classic case of cold tearing.

And it was a med-soft and kind of chilly outside. (Chilly for texas anyways high 60's with the windchill. The inside of the tire was nice and warm, but the outside got cool.
 

·
S VEEEEEEEEEEEEE Thrasher
Joined
·
2,160 Posts
Mulligan said:
Ok, i just checked with other guys that run the same track. I've got a classic case of cold tearing.

And it was a med-soft and kind of chilly outside. (Chilly for texas anyways high 60's with the windchill. The inside of the tire was nice and warm, but the outside got cool.
DING DING DING!!!!!! we have a winner. dont worry... your tire is just fine ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,469 Posts
I thought cold tearing was the other way around? The outside of the tire was warmer than the whole tire and you pealed away rubber to the cold part. Happens when you try to sneak on tire warmers right at first call and then ride agressively on first lap out. Outside of tire is nice and warm but you haven't heated up the whole tire.

Or maybe I smoked to much crack as a kid...
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top