Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so, looking at my tires, it looks like i have some tread left on the sides.

this is a silly question but i want to know if those strips mean more lean is available.

if so, how much of an angle do i have left. is there some formula to measure angle in relationship to how much tread is not used.

another question is how do i know if a tire is fully warmed up. is it a certain amount of time riding dending on road temp?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
well, to answer your question... yes, if you have "chicken strips" that means you still have lean angle left... this statement is assuming you're talking solely about your rear tire. there will, for the most part, always be a bit of the front tire that will not be worn...

as far as your second question about how much, that answer's a little more complicated. depending of surface conditions, the profile of your tires, and the conditions of your tires. you may have a lot or a little. there's not really a formula that you can apply (technically there is, but that is beyond the scope of this post).

and to answer your last question. if you put your bare hand on the tire and it's too hot to keep your hand on it, it's warmed up... the warm up time of your tire is dependent on the tire and riding conditions. typical street tires warm up after a few miles (i don't have exact numbers. someone please correct me if i'm wrong)...

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
there will, for the most part, always be a bit of the front tire that will not be worn...
Depending on your set up. If I raise the fork on my RC, I can eat away the edge of the front easily. THen raise back to stock, i can go through the same corner at the same speed (therefore similar lean) and a strip is left. Then raise the rear and the tire wear is to the edge again. Faster guys than me come in with a strip left on their front wheel while mine is melted over the edge....

Point of this post? Who cares about the chicken strip. Ride with in your limits and you will wear the tire as far as you feel comortable.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
mule-madness said:
well, to answer your question... yes, if you have "chicken strips" that means you still have lean angle left... this statement is assuming you're talking solely about your rear tire. there will, for the most part, always be a bit of the front tire that will not be worn...
Hmmm.. ahhh.. wrong. I have no "chicken strips" on any of my tires. The front tire is more affected at the entrance of a corner, and the rear at exit. Most people are afraid to lean hard entering a corner and that is way they have "chicken strips" on the front tire and none on the rear.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i understand the front is the turn in part and the rear is for exit but im trying to gauge how much lean i have left.

i have had 3 crashes and now im trying to do this one right.

1. washout of the front due to gravel
2. too fast into a corner and turned but ran out of tire so that was a pretty hard impact.
3. tire was too cold and slipped out from under me.

so, now that im getying back into the swing of things, im trying to figure out how much lean i have left.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
actually, 2 sounds like front washed out too-less likely due to loss of tread or 'running out of tire". More likely lack of smooth throttle input and/or braking for corner (just a guess).

you're never really going to know how much you have left until you pass the limits of what you have. Keep trying to get more lean a little at a time and be smooth. making a corner at a given speed has many variables, only one of which is lean angle. You also have to consider traction/road condition, body position, braking, etc. it soulnds more like you need more experience on a bike and more practice. back off your speeds and concentrate on being a smooth rider-smooth on/off the throttle, brakes, changing position, etc...

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
hey guys, ease up a little... i answered his question with the assumption that he was refering to street riding, and based off of his question i figured he's fairly new rider. so, didn't want to get into the such advanced topics...

s2ksleepy,
it's like hondaf4iguy said, don't worry about your chicken strips and lean angle so much. it sounds like you just need to get comfortable with riding again. just make slow increments and you'll be fine... save eating away you're chicken strips for the track where the surface traction is more predictable...

·
Registered
236 Posts
IMO you need to focus on things other than lean angle. All three "accidents" were due to lack of awareness of surroundings, lack of awareness of your own limitations, and lack of your bike's(tires) limitations. Pick up Nick Ienatsch's book on street riding and put his tips to use and chicken strips will no longer be of concern.

I can put my knee down at will, but what does that prove? Chicken strips mean even less. God, I LOVE to preach! Can anybody tell?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Can anybody else confirm Blade-Runner's theory? Uneven chicken strips on front and rear interested me for a while. Obviously I am doing many things wrong as beginner. I helps to know what exactly. So basically you are saying "lean more" mid-corner adjustments cause it? It is scary to lean entering the turn, but it ten times more frightening finding yourself "hot" in the middle of the turn.

I think the official maximum lean angle is probably until you start dragging some part of your bike like footpegs. Who cares. Lean angle is not the only thing that controls/affects turning. You can turn well by hanging off the bike without leaning it to the extreme.

I have a different question. Apparently anybody can ride without knee-dragging, but what is the knee-dragging angle? If I dragged my foot, does it mean I should have put on knee pucks and drag them instead?

·
Registered
638 Posts
I don't see how one can have uneven strips between the front and back(unless you are pulling a wheelie and leaning at the same time).. when the bike leans, both the front and rear tire have to lean together, if not, the chassis must have to twist to allow them to lean at separate angles.

However the extent of the tread is different between the front and the rear. thefront usually has more tread -- from side to side. So it may appear that the front has a wider chicken strip eventhough it is being leaned at the same angle as the rear. Better to run out of tread on the rear than th e front.

Whats the physics behind lowering and raising the end of the bike and lean angle?

·
Registered
221 Posts
when I was riding with a group of really fast guys in the Rocky Mountains, nobody gave a crud about chicken strips... and we were having a damn good time riding those mountain roads, dangerous high speeds, but riding within our limits and responsible for the other members of the group.

if one really wants to get rid of them, maybe letting the air out down to 25-28 psi, and doing a couple of circles in the parking lot with rub them out.

Cornering ... just like sex ... smooth in fast out ( to her bedroom, the relationship or what ever your dirty little minds can think of )

Smooth in Fast out is what was taught to me at my last Race School. and that was on a track with predictable corners that I'd been on only 1:30' before. Street Riding... especially on mountain roads like in the rockies... gravel can kill ... them falling rock signs mean more to bikes than cars... and when leaned over, trying to rub off "chicken strips" was one way to lie in a ditch hurt for a long period of time before (if) an ambulance comes, then hastle with the insurance company to get another bike. :bitchslap: just for the sake of getting a cosmetic rub down on the tires, mmmm-no

leaning ... enjoy the art of counter steering to get 'er in the turn, and smoothly roll on that throttle (equivalent forward propulsion as hammering the throttle in 5th gear at 30-40 mph) the power just rolls on nice and smooth.

I don't see many street roads I'd like to drag knee on, especially since the asphault type changes, bumps, Cop Magnets.... but then again I'm in frikin Oklahoma, roads are almost like in Kansas

i'm blabbering. way to much Yin here than Yang.

Track Days Rock! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
but what is the knee-dragging angle? If I dragged my foot, does it mean I should have put on knee pucks and drag them instead?
THere is no one angle. Look at pictures, some people hang their knees way out to make contact while others have their knees tucked and do not tuck in the same corner at the same lean.

As for dragging you toe, get out of the seat more and slide you foot back. I can drag my toe at 20 mph on my Bandit making a turn in a residential if I get lazy. Your toe is not a good indicator of anything except maybe your shoe size. :roll:

Whats the physics behind lowering and raising the end of the bike and lean angle?
I am not sure i undestand the question. The physical change that takes place in the geometry when lowering and raising the forks and swing are are rake and trail. The steeper angle your forks have to the ground will increas your turn in. However, the negative effect to this is that the bike can become instable and more prone to tucking. Raising the rear is typically the better way to go to accomplish this, because raising the forks will also efect ground clearance.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
crvlvr said:
I don't see how one can have uneven strips between the front and back(unless you are pulling a wheelie and leaning at the same time)..
The way I understand it you sort of ARE pulling a wheelie...sort of.

Think of it this way, when you're in a corner you're on the throttle a little, taking more weight off the front and applying it to the rear. That is why, I think, the front will show more chicken strip than the rear.

last week I did a trackday and my rear was shredded to the edge, the front still had about 1/8" or a little more, but was also shredded to that point...

As for dragging a toe-are you riding with the balls of your feet on the pegs? that might give you more clearance.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I don't see how one can have uneven strips between the front and back
The front tire is only 120 wide and the rear 180 wide. The contact patch on the front is much smaller and the front tire also pivots right to left, not the rear. So how could the front and rear be even? <--- that seems to be a better question.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts