Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the Q3+ not good in wet weather? I have seen people say they weren't. I live in Tennessee so pop up rain and pouring rain is pretty common. I am looking for a new set. My one CBR from the dealership came with new Dunlop GPR300 which are ok tires and got pretty good mileage. I have had them slide a few times more recently though since I been pushing it further in lean angles and noticed they take a few minutes to get warmed up. Also noticed they are not smooth when you hit a certain part of your lean or coming out of a lean in a turn.

Been debating the Q3+ with how good everyone speaks of them or some Michelin tires or any other tire you guys and gals recommend. Not so much worried about mileage as I am a tire that is good for rain when I get caught in it (not trying to push full lean angles then just trying to be safe with the oils coming up out of the road), gets sticky very quick, can handle alot of canyon carving type roads. Would love to get to the track but sadly work is busy during riding season and Tennessee rather get reid of legal places to race or drag strips to build sports stadiums. So our closest is Road Atlanta which is still a 4.5 hour drive.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Are the Q3+ not good in wet weather? I have seen people say they weren't. I live in Tennessee so pop up rain and pouring rain is pretty common. I am looking for a new set. My one CBR from the dealership came with new Dunlop GPR300 which are ok tires and got pretty good mileage. I have had them slide a few times more recently though since I been pushing it further in lean angles and noticed they take a few minutes to get warmed up. Also noticed they are not smooth when you hit a certain part of your lean or coming out of a lean in a turn.

Been debating the Q3+ with how good everyone speaks of them or some Michelin tires or any other tire you guys and gals recommend. Not so much worried about mileage as I am a tire that is good for rain when I get caught in it (not trying to push full lean angles then just trying to be safe with the oils coming up out of the road), gets sticky very quick, can handle alot of canyon carving type roads. Would love to get to the track but sadly work is busy during riding season and Tennessee rather get reid of legal places to race or drag strips to build sports stadiums. So our closest is Road Atlanta which is still a 4.5 hour drive.
Q3+ will be a good tire, the Pilot Power 5 worked for me very well the the past 2 years in the Tennessee/North Carolina/Georgia area as well on my Ducati. All sport tires will only be OK in the wet because they are not designed to excel in that condition so you will get better wet weather performance from a sport touring tire. The Pilot Road 4 and 5 were AMAZING wet road tires so I spooned a set of Road 6s on my Triumph to use this year; they actually handle very well and only when I’m really pushing do I feel a difference between the Pilot and the Road tires.

You said mileage isn’t a huge factor so I’d also suggest looking at the Pirelli Rosso IVs, the IIIs were good tires, and we’re OEM on my Ducati, the IVs are supposed to be better and I can tell you work well in the rain and are sticky. The Rosso Corsa is another good Pirelli, the Metzler M9RR is a good sport/sport touring tire as well, my dad ran a set of M7RRs on his FZ1 and they worked great, even when pushed.

Lots to choose from, hope this helps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Q3+ will be a good tire, the Pilot Power 5 worked for me very well the the past 2 years in the Tennessee/North Carolina/Georgia area as well on my Ducati. All sport tires will only be OK in the wet because they are not designed to excel in that condition so you will get better wet weather performance from a sport touring tire. The Pilot Road 4 and 5 were AMAZING wet road tires so I spooned a set of Road 6s on my Triumph to use this year; they actually handle very well and only when I’m really pushing do I feel a difference between the Pilot and the Road tires.

You said mileage isn’t a huge factor so I’d also suggest looking at the Pirelli Rosso IVs, the IIIs were good tires, and we’re OEM on my Ducati, the IVs are supposed to be better and I can tell you work well in the rain and are sticky. The Rosso Corsa is another good Pirelli, the Metzler M9RR is a good sport/sport touring tire as well, my dad ran a set of M7RRs on his FZ1 and they worked great, even when pushed.

Lots to choose from, hope this helps.
Thank You helps lot wet weather isn't super huge but you know how the rain showers are down here then and like I said I know there not made for wet weather so its not super huge if there not the best wet weather tire because i am not speeding or pushing it around turns. When its dry though I do ride sporty on all the great backroads around here with all the switchback country roads. I just want to make sure the ones I get this round are sticky because nothing like that rear end sliding in the middle of a turn cause its not wanting to plant. Everything else suspension wise is dialed in for my weight and been upgraded and it will hold a line. Just takes awhile for them to want to get really warmed up and sticky to stay planted.

I have heard alot of good things about the Pilot Power 5 tires also. Don't really know anyone who runs the Pirelli Rosso tires personally so haven't heard much about those. I had a set of Metzlers on my F4i they were good tires but on that bike I didn't really push it like I do the RR's since I was new to sport bikes at that point and swapping from the cruiser world. I couldn't even tell you what we ran on the dirtbikes its been so long ago lol

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've ridden through a canyon in a downpour on the older Q3 and didn't have any issues, but, I definitely wouldn't push my luck on them especially if you're in a colder climate. Michelin Road tires are amazing for adverse conditions and I've ridden through snow and slush on the old Road 2 tires. In general if you get caught in rain and take it easy then any tire with decent tread should get you home and I'd research and practice your wet weather riding adjustments so you're even better prepared.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've ridden through a canyon in a downpour on the older Q3 and didn't have any issues, but, I definitely wouldn't push my luck on them especially if you're in a colder climate. Michelin Road tires are amazing for adverse conditions and I've ridden through snow and slush on the old Road 2 tires. In general if you get caught in rain and take it easy then any tire with decent tread should get you home and I'd research and practice your wet weather riding adjustments so you're even better prepared.
I do need to get more practice in rain. Only time I ever ride in the rain is when I get caught in a rain pour. Our meteorologist here can't predict snow if it was snowing outside. They will say sunny skies all day 6 hours later we have tornado warnings and 70 mph straight line winds.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Well you're at a disadvantage in TN as far as weather goes but it's also why it's beautiful there. The only "bad" tires for wet and cold weather nowadays among the big brands are the race/trackday dedicated tires that are intended to work at higher temps. Any street tire from Dunlop, Bridgestone, Michelin, etc will work as long as you're not taking unnecessary risks and replacing them before they turn slick. My last Q3+ rear was worn bald with 3 plugs in it by the time it got swapped and I never had as much as a slip on it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've used Q3+ at track in rain to push it to limits. Can confidently say that it'll stick up to 80-85% of its dry limits before sliding. One should not be going anywhere near that kind of speeds on streets, wet OR dry!!! Typically crashing in rain isn't due to traction, but some kind of error line/path selection that places you into situation where sudden braking or turning is needed. THEN when doing evasive or correction actions, you'll flick or brake too suddenly and break traction. Losing traction is result of mistake that caused crash, not the cause of crash itself.

Here we are trying to figure out ways to attach umbrellas to bike to stay dry at Sears Point Sonoma raceway...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats true and wouldn't push those limits on the street would love to try the tracks if one wasn't so far away. Tennessee on the the news always complains about street racing etc but they have taken ever legal track or strip from us to build a stadium or something stupid. The only option really is the street since they have closed pretty much all the legal ways. Maybe one day someone will open a track here if that happened though I would be even broker then I am now cause I would be there every chance I could lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well you're at a disadvantage in TN as far as weather goes but it's also why it's beautiful there. The only "bad" tires for wet and cold weather nowadays among the big brands are the race/trackday dedicated tires that are intended to work at higher temps. Any street tire from Dunlop, Bridgestone, Michelin, etc will work as long as you're not taking unnecessary risks and replacing them before they turn slick. My last Q3+ rear was worn bald with 3 plugs in it by the time it got swapped and I never had as much as a slip on it.
True it is very pretty when you get off the main roads and out in the country with all the farm land, hills, 90 degree switchbacks etc. Its great if your a motorcyclist as all the great rides and sights motorcyclist from across the country come to see are within a days ride for me. Downfall is weather definitely is unpredictable there is a saying here if you don't like the weather now give it about 10 minutes it will be something else.

Reactions: 498cm3
1 - 12 of 12 Posts