Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some corner working at the last CMRA race of the season. They were having the USGPRU finals, and up until I saw these bikes in action, I had never wanted to race a 125.

These things had some serious corner entry speed and the way some of these riders were able to sling these things around was very impressive.

Does anyone here race a 125? (Tony Wang??? I saw the results, congrats!)

Im 6' and a good 210lbs with gear on. Would I be to heavy to be competitive racing a 125?

ryan

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
its crazy how once you start riding more aggressively you see how the smaller bikes handle better than our bikes..and our bikes handle great...

i've also wondered about riding a 125 and/or a 250..

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
whtdvl
being from orlando and all you should stop by DAYTONA and check out
the octoberfest action from vintage racing , ccs races , vendors etc
its all fun

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I worked 6 on Sunday. What a great turn to be at. We didn't have any crashes to take care of, but talk about a lot of action!

On Sunday, there were a few fires, and they had to shut the big track down and moved everyone over to teh short track to finish the last 5 or 6 races. That was pretty neat to watch from the infield too.

BubbaRRay said:
Ryan, what corner were you in? I worked 5 and 6 on Saturday? Those things do look pretty fun. But I'm with you, I'm 6' and 225 w/o gear...too big

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No Kidding. I first really started paying attention t0 the 125's when one took me on the outside of a turn,and then took the rider in front of me on the inside.

We were both going a real decent speed, not a race pace, but we were goign pretty good. This guy just passed us like we were blocks of wood.

After watching them race...I MUST HAVE ONE. If Im not to fat......

whtdvl said:
its crazy how once you start riding more aggressively you see how the smaller bikes handle better than our bikes..and our bikes handle great...

i've also wondered about riding a 125 and/or a 250..

·
Registered
799 Posts
dude, if you're not a circus midget then technically you're too big. If you really want one, you can make it work, you just won't hang with the little guys... and you'll probably need some custom suspension work.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Please do. I have like 3 months before the season starts again. I need to make a decision pretty soon.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Mulligan said:
No Kidding. I first really started paying attention t0 the 125's when one took me on the outside of a turn,and then took the rider in front of me on the inside.

We were both going a real decent speed, not a race pace, but we were goign pretty good. This guy just passed us like we were blocks of wood.

After watching them race...I MUST HAVE ONE. If Im not to fat......
Hey Mulligan, I'm assuming this happened during the trackday on Firday? Which group where you in?

As for getting a 125. I'm 5'10", 170lb (185lb with gear). There are riders that are 6' tall. There are options out there that will help a taller rider fit on a 125. It can work for the taller guys.

However, keep in mind the bike and rider should be between 300lb-350lb if you want to be competative. If you fall out side that range, and want to be competative, I would suggest looking at a 250. They produce almost as much power as our bikes, but weigh quite a bit less. It's kinda like a compromise between the 125 and 600...

Now, if you're just wanting it for a training tool, I'd say go ahead and get a 125. They're TONS of fun! My original intent wasn't to race the 125, but I had such a blast on it, I figured what the hell, I'll give it a go. Good thing I did as reflected by this past weekend's results. Also, just so you all have a better idea of the overall picture, this pass weekend was only my 3rd (USGPRU 125 final) and 4th (CMRA GP125) races on the 125.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
moeman said:
whtdvl
being from orlando and all you should stop by DAYTONA and check out
the octoberfest action from vintage racing , ccs races , vendors etc
its all fun
i probably will i got a little vacation time coming up so i hope to at least spend one day over there

·
Registered
777 Posts
Ok well I just got done with my first race on an RS125 and oh my god. Some one remind me to take some Yoga clases before I get on one again. My shift leg kept on going to sleep. The riding position just didnt work out for me. On the better side the bike is an absolute blast!!!!!!!!! I have never gone that fast in the corners before. YOu can brake way way way late and carry a ton of corner speed. I finished 2nd in Formula III and 3rd in Formula II. Hopefuly my 600 will be done by the end of the month.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
YES... WELCOME TO THE DARK SIDE!!! *where's that evil smilie face when you need it*

Just wait until after you ride that thing for half a season. You'll be uber fast on your 600!!! :D

You're leg cramping can be eleviated with longer rearsets. Hjelm Motorsports sells longer rearset for you longer legged riders...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts