Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Low Miles What Would You Do?
Hi, So i just bought an used 08 cbrrr with about 300 miles on. I cant ride yet cause I dont have money for insurance so Im going to store it away. Thing is...should I give it a oil change first before storing it away for the winter? The oil in the bike is the same from May of 08 so its coming a year and a half of old oil. Should I change it? or leave it till like 600 miles next year. and if I should change it watoil should I change it with? (Iheard first oil change is regular oil then after that if I wanna go full synthetic oil assuming thats the best for the bike)) what would you do? And I cant bring it back to the original place the guy bought it too cause its too far away. (supposedly you get first oil change for free?) i dont know. THanks for any input!!

969 Posts
Youch !!!!

Get that oil out ASAP.. The ability of the oil to neutralize acidity is most likely depleted.

As stated above, Change oil and filter with a Motorcycle oil or any oil with a JASO MA Rated oill.

You can use an auto oil but be sure it has an API SG/SH Rating.. Not higher

I would recommend, to stabalize a full tank of fuel and while running it to get the stabalizer through the system, fog the engine when it is warm. Then change oil and filter and Do Not start the bike after that. This introduces more acidity in to the oil.

Bob

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks dude you saved me. I didnt know. Im going to the local shop and picking up oem honda oil and filter and changing it this weekend. I heard i need something for the oil filter. got a site i can buy this from? and usually how much does it cost. I dont wanna get raped

969 Posts
thanks dude you saved me. I didnt know. Im going to the local shop and picking up oem honda oil and filter and changing it this weekend. I heard i need something for the oil filter. got a site i can buy this from? and usually how much does it cost. I dont wanna get raped
I have that spider wrench I wholesale for $9.95.. Problem is freight on a small item is like $7.10... Still not a terrible deal..

With an oil order it rides along at no charge..

3 qts MCF 10W-40, 1 EAOM Filter and the Spider Wrench will be $55.55 Plus your local taxes. Freight is included

Call today and leave a message.. 877-356-6099 Goes to my Cell. I will check voice mail a couple times today as I won't have service where I will be.

Bob

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok decided to change the oil. Should I warm up the bike before changing it? I dont see the point in that why the manual says to do it for like 5 mins. Show I? Or should I not?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Youch !!!!

Then change oil and filter and Do Not start the bike after that.
Bob

Just a question but if you don't start the bike after the oil change, then you have the old oil in the engine bearings and such but only have an oil pan with new oil in it.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
ok decided to change the oil. Should I warm up the bike before changing it? I dont see the point in that why the manual says to do it for like 5 mins. Show I? Or should I not?
yes, always warm up before changing. this gets the oil nice and hot so it flows better and you get a more complete drain.

969 Posts
Just a question but if you don't start the bike after the oil change, then you have the old oil in the engine bearings and such but only have an oil pan with new oil in it.
yes, always warm up before changing. this gets the oil nice and hot so it flows better and you get a more complete drain.
His question is about Starting After the Change..

If you can and this is what I use to do: Either disable the Ignition or pull the plug wires so it won't start.

Starting the engine induces more acidity and moisture into the oil.

Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts