Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you wouldn't believe anyone here when they said Pedrosa has a serious weight advantage.

Did you listen to Freddie Spencer during the race? He pointed out how much of an advantage Pedrosa's weight is. He gets better drives out of the corners because he has less mass to move. A 50# advantage on a 350lb motorcycle makes a big difference.

Say what you want, we all know Pedrosa has talent but to insist his weight isn't a big advantage is absolutely ignorning facts. If Freddie (and other racers) say it's true, and they have credibility, I believe it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,224 Posts
If it is a big advantage as everyone claims it to be, why is it out of the 11 races so far this year he has only recorded the top speed trap four times?

If it is such an advantage why is he not beating EVERYONE down the straights?

If it is such an advantage how does he not outbrake everyone?

He's fast because he has talent.

On the 250's and 125's it played a bigger advantage. Now he is on a big boy bike, with twice the horse power and 100+ pounds more of bike.

I'm sure him being 50 lbs less than his competitors gives him a small advantage, but nothing near the amount that everyone is making out to be, and certainly not a big one. He's on a race bike, not a race horse.
 

·
Superbike racer
Joined
·
6,177 Posts
He has a weight advantage but being 5'2" and 103lbs can also be a disadvantage. He can't muscle the bike around like other riders.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,030 Posts
+1 to that! Weight is a big deal when racing motorcycles.
 

·
Brown at your service
Joined
·
3,493 Posts
Like big Tuna says, it has advantages and disadvantages. I'm glad the disadvantages came into play today. I got my money on him next for the championship.

This year I'm chearing for Hayden.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,779 Posts
If it wasn't for traction control,I think his 103lb body would hurt him and he wouldn't be able to get the same drive out of the corner.
 

·
C.A.H.N founder / President
Joined
·
11,188 Posts
alaska cajun said:
If it wasn't for traction control,I think his 103lb body would hurt him and he wouldn't be able to get the same drive out of the corner.
I agree. Especially in the wet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,500 Posts
did you guys see when Freddie Spencer was interviewing Dani??? dang... Freddie looked like a freaking giant next to Dani --- and on the side note - i actually saw Dani crack a smile --- this kid got talent and for sure he's gonna win a championship (most likely next year)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wolfpac52 said:
If it is a big advantage as everyone claims it to be, why is it out of the 11 races so far this year he has only recorded the top speed trap four times?

If it is such an advantage why is he not beating EVERYONE down the straights?

If it is such an advantage how does he not outbrake everyone?

He's fast because he has talent.

On the 250's and 125's it played a bigger advantage. Now he is on a big boy bike, with twice the horse power and 100+ pounds more of bike.

I'm sure him being 50 lbs less than his competitors gives him a small advantage, but nothing near the amount that everyone is making out to be, and certainly not a big one. He's on a race bike, not a race horse.
Ask Freddie Spencer. I mean, what does he know about racing?

If Freddie says Dani's weight is a huge advantage, I'm inclined to believe him.
 
C

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Because of Danny ;) next year they are going to ballast the 800cc GP bikes like they do in 250cc and F1. The bike + rider weight will be the same for everyone. He may not win next years championship because of this.
 

·
S VEEEEEEEEEEEEE Thrasher
Joined
·
2,160 Posts
Motorcycle Daily said:
The next king of MotoGP will come down to two riders; Dani Pedrosa or Casey Stoner. These two rookies will be the ones to watch as they have already proved after only one race. This is unfortunate for me because I'd like to see Nicky or John on top next.
Dani Pedrosa already a 3 time champion is with the best team riding for the most powerful factory has so much going for him. He is Spanish and has three home races every year which I believe has to be an advantage. He is very small (5'02" 105lbs.). His size gives him a 30 to 50lb. weight advantage over many other riders that reduces tire wear and should make any bike a fraction of a second faster. Pedrosa's style is so precise he rarely makes mistakes and that's key to staying up front and out of the kitty litter. I believe others even Rossi will have trouble defeating him in the near future.

by: Alex Edge
i was able to find this info from the website, stating information being spoken about here. i do see it as an advantage. In all honesty, with out the years of experience and skill... the 50lbs diffrence doesnt matter. Rossi can easily dust him, in a less HP motorcyle and with the extra weight he carries.

in conclusion.... the 50lbs does not make a diffrence in which will make Pedrosa have as mentioned "A HUGE" advantage.
 

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
Joined
·
5,051 Posts
Actually, there's a good write-up on Dani Pedrosa, regarding his weight ADVANTAGE. Sure, there are disadvantages, for example, not being able to put much weight on the front to keep the bike from wheeling during acceleration. As you may know (or not know), the GP bikes can even wheelie in 4th/5th gear. So, there might be some disadvantage there. His ability to ride in wet conditions and being able to control the bike in the wet.

And yet weight or no weight, we can't discount skill. Dani has great cornering ability, particularly from his 250 experience. He has excellent corner entry skills as well as corner exit. He's smooth and precise. And as we all know, at the GP level, muscling the bike is counterproductive; instead, on a GP bike, the emphasis is on being smooth, which is what Pedrosa is (and incidentally, what Hayden is learning too; you can't muscle the bike like on Superbike, or like Hayden learned on dirt); this isn't the 500 bikes of yore but bikes ladened with electronic gadgetry, including different maps at the press of a button for more speed.

But the write up on Pedrosa said this concerning his weight advantage: Making up time lost in the corners. If I recall correctly, let's say Pedrosa is following a rider into a corner. The first rider hits the corner at 50 mph and exits out. Due to Pedrosa's weight, even if he hits that corner entry at less speed (48/49 mph), due to his weight, he can get on the gas earlier and exit faster at WOT than the rider in front of him, making up time, sometimes up to 0.5 second in a corner.

That 0.5 second advantage over the course of an entire track adds up. Now, this is if he's perfect in every corner which no one is, not even the great Rossi. But, you can't argue that 0.5 seconds in a corner is not a huge advantage. What did Ewen McGregor say in DTK if you were 1 second back every lap for 32 laps?

And for the record, it was Dani's first win in China where he set blistering lap times, which incidentally has the longest straight of the tracks raced so far (1200 meters).

Donnington happens to be one of Dani's favorite tracks which allows him to really exploit his cornering prowess and demonstrates what I said above. 0.5 seconds over every corner over the entire race... How much time was between him and second place? It was like he was racing alone out there for the longest time until Rossi really made up the gap; Dani ended up winning by almost 4 seconds.

Let's not even get on tire discussion. He set his fastest lap on lap 19 of 22 in China.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,224 Posts
SilverSurfer said:
Ask Freddie Spencer. I mean, what does he know about racing?

If Freddie says Dani's weight is a huge advantage, I'm inclined to believe him.
This is the same guy that kept calling him Petrosa and the series Motor GP :)

If his weight is such an advantage I have yet to see him use it. Top four speed traps out of 11 doesn't show me an advantage.

As far as China goes, the top speed holder for that track is actually Tamada, the guy on a non factory Honda, 2.6 KM/h faster than the midget.

Races are not won down the front straight. They are won on the brakes and corner speed. If his advantage was so paramount that everyone claims it to be, he would be walking away with the championship. Out braking everyone into the corners and walking away through the corners.

Why is it so hard for people to accept that his talent severley out weighs his mass? If he grew 6 inches (making him 5'1" tall) and gained 50 pounds (105 lbs) I garuntee that his lap times would not suffer a single bit.
 

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
Joined
·
5,051 Posts
So, I fail to see why people are accusing SilverSurfer for having said "less weight equals more top speed". If I recall, and it doesn't take that much (just scroll up), it was you Wolfpac who equated less weight with top speed. As we all know, weight has negligble effect on top speed at the peak of an engine's performance.

Case in point is the review on the Kawisaki ZX-14R, whose top speed ended up being a disappointing, though 'Busa upsetting, 186.5 mph. No matter how much more aerodynamic the body plastics got, it was said to see any real improvements in top speed, the bike would have to make somewhere on the order of 240 hp (or 65 hp more on top of its 175 hp) to get just another 10 or so mphs of top speed.

That being said, the argument SS made was that Spencer said Pedrosa's weight advantage helps him, NOT in top speed down a straight, but drive out of a corner, which I spoke about in the post before this. And this is in fact a considerable advantage.

Is it race winning advantage? Maybe, maybe not. You're talking about being perfect corner after corner and accumulating that 0.5 sec advantage over EACH corner. Can it happen? Yes, look at Donnington, a twisty, tight track that Pedrosa happens to love. Precise at every turn. I think his lead at one point was up to TEN SECONDS!!! Props to Rossi for cutting that lead down to just about 4 seconds.

So, there is skill involved. But buddy, weight is equally a factor. And I tell you that difference in weight is probably what contributed to his win in China, for the very reason I mentioned in my last post. Hayden was fast in China, but Pedrosa was faster in the turns, not necessarily because of technique, if you watch the tape. Both were precise, but Dani just got out of those turns that much faster. And THAT, my friend, is the advantage -- big or small. It's still an advantage.
 
N

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Didn't we already cover this in my original thread? So, why the need to create another and direct the thread to me?

Another thing, did you see Dani smile during that interview? You probably won't meet a racer as modest as this guy. He doesn't gloat (sp?), complain, nor act like he's the ish. Did you know he raced in the 250cc class last year with a fractured wrist throughout the whole season without telling a single soul? And he still won the championship. He kept it all to himself. Never complained about the pain, never said anything.

And on top of that, he places podium in Laguna (first time there)?!!! 2 MotoGP wins in his rookie year. And how many times did he place podium this year IN HIS ROOKIE YEAR?? And how many times did Nicky Hayden win or place podium during HIS rookie year???

Yes, thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nemesis said:
Didn't we already cover this in my original thread? So, why the need to create another and direct the thread to me?

Another thing, did you see Dani smile during that interview? You probably won't meet a racer as modest as this guy. He doesn't gloat (sp?), complain, nor act like he's the ish. Did you know he raced in the 250cc class last year with a fractured wrist throughout the whole season without telling a single soul? And he still won the championship. He kept it all to himself. Never complained about the pain, never said anything.

And on top of that, he places podium in Laguna (first time there)?!!! 2 MotoGP wins in his rookie year. And how many times did he place podium this year IN HIS ROOKIE YEAR?? And how many times did Nicky Hayden win or place podium during HIS rookie year???

Yes, thank you.
Nicky didn't have the advantage of knowing the tracks like Pedrosa did. Pedrosa had three years to learn the tracks before he came to MotoGP. Nicky came straight from the AMA. They have the same amount of time on those tracks (both in their 4th year). Nicky has 2 wins, Pedrosa has 2 wins. Pretty even if you ask me.

I noticed you did not answer the question. If Freddie says Pedrosa's weight matters a lot, would you say Freddie doesn't know what he's talking about?

Just curious, amigo...
 
N

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
SilverSurfer said:
Nicky didn't have the advantage of knowing the tracks like Pedrosa did. Pedrosa had three years to learn the tracks before he came to MotoGP. Nicky came straight from the AMA. They have the same amount of time on those tracks (both in their 4th year).
Stop contradicting yourself!

SilverSurfer said:
Nicky has 2 wins, Pedrosa has 2 wins. Pretty even if you ask me.
Even?...hahaaa

A veteran vs rookie yet they have the same number of wins. Yeah, it's even alright....hahaa

SilverSurfer said:
I noticed you did not answer the question. If Freddie says Pedrosa's weight matters a lot, would you say Freddie doesn't know what he's talking about?

Just curious, amigo...

So, if Dani said it was hard for him to adapt to the bike would you say Dani doesn't know what he's talking about?

Just curious, amigo (amigo my @$$)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nemesis said:
Stop contradicting yourself!

Even?...hahaaa

A veteran vs rookie yet they have the same number of wins. Yeah, it's even alright....hahaa
They have the same amount of time on the European tracks. If you know the GP bikes, you'll notice the 250 racers have an advantage because the GP bikes can be ridden more like a 250 using the same lines due to the technology "traction control, etc."

If this was 2000 and they were still running 500cc bikes, then I would agree Pedrosa would be at a disadvantage. Those bikes were mean, nasty and powerful and lacked the kind of traction control and smooth power delivery of the GP bikes.


So, if Dani said it was hard for him to adapt to the bike would you say Dani doesn't know what he's talking about?

Just curious, amigo (amigo my @$$)
I tend to give more credit to Freddie Spencers opinion - of which you still have not acknowledged ;)
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top