Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my bike parked outside my office this morning, during that earthquake, and wanted to know if anyone has ever had their bike drop during an earthquake?

After the first 25 seconds I went outside to make sure it was right side up, and ended up moving it incase things got crazier.

I also noticed about 20 seconds after the earthquake another sport bike was driving down the street pretty slow...other cars had stopped or pulled off to the side.

Has anyone experienced an earthquake while riding? This one took off pretty good....for a 5.7

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
this lady from rosamond called in to the tv station and said it was shaking good up there. i can't imagine going thru a turn @willow springs and the ground starts shaking when ur @full lean.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The elevators in my building are down so I went down and back up 19 flights of stairs to check on my bike. I had it parked on a slight incline so it had me worried, but it didn't look like it had moved at all.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im in Whittier, right on the fault line, so we felt it pretty good. Strong for a 5.7

The first thing I thought of was putting my helmet on, and running outside to hug the bike, and make sure it didnt fall over, then it really picked up and I said...Forget it...Im stayin my a$$ right here...and watched it through a window.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Your best best is to always keep your bike in gear when parked and make sure that its not too upright on the surface you choose to park it on.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I always leave my bike in gear and make sure it's firmly parked, but my R&G sliders don't show up until next week and the bike only has 400 miles on it... so I'm a bit... paranoid.

·
BOTY Winner 2015 - BOTM Winner 04/2015
7,274 Posts
i am on the 19th floor downtown and it got my building rocking pretty well....
they downgraded it to a 5.4 now, 29 miles out of LA (chino hills)... and there has been plenty of smaller after-shocks...:tard:

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I was riding Azusa Canyon/Glendora Mountain Road this morning with my buddy when it happened. We were on the backside of GMR and all of a sudden rocks started falling off of the mountain. Huge chunks of ROCK! i avoided those, turned the corner, more rocks were falling!!! ROCKS WERE ALL OVER THE ROAD! I didn't feel the actual earthquake- I SAW IT! dust and debris everywhere, had to go like 5 mph to navigate through the massive rocks. At first I thought it was wind, but then I thought "nawh, it's not windy at all." So then, we chilled at the top for awhile and took it real easy all the way back down and back home.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I was riding Azusa Canyon/Glendora Mountain Road this morning with my buddy when it happened. We were on the backside of GMR and all of a sudden rocks started falling off of the mountain. Huge chunks of ROCK! i avoided those, turned the corner, more rocks were falling!!! ROCKS WERE ALL OVER THE ROAD! I didn't feel the actual earthquake- I SAW IT! dust and debris everywhere, had to go like 5 mph to navigate through the massive rocks. At first I thought it was wind, but then I thought "nawh, it's not windy at all." So then, we chilled at the top for awhile and took it real easy all the way back down and back home.
Damn, good thing I got out of work late and didn't meet up with you guy's. I was up in Malibu but I didn't feel or see anything. Good thing none of the rocks hit you guy's or caused and accident.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My question would be would insurance cover it if anything did happen to the bike due to the earthquake?

·
Registered
75 Posts
^^^^

You would need to check your insurance PDS and see what they term an earthqauke as. Most insurance dont cover "Acts of God" but some policies will cover earthquakes, floods etc and others wont. There is no set rule on it unfortunately:cwm21:

Glad to hear everyone can out fine and no ones bike got dropped in the quake. Luckily in Australia we dont seem to get earthquakes very oftern at all

·
Registered
770 Posts
Damn, good thing I got out of work late and didn't meet up with you guy's. I was up in Malibu but I didn't feel or see anything. Good thing none of the rocks hit you guy's or caused and accident.
yeah man..u aint seen **** till ur rollin up to a left hander haulin ass and then see the rockwall mid turn COLLAPSE!!!!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
i guess it helps to park the bike with it's right side facing a wall. park it real close and wrap the right barend with a rag so if it should tip to the right, it won't fall at all. i won't know what to do if the ground splits open and swallows the bike whole though.

·
Registered
570 Posts
My question would be would insurance cover it if anything did happen to the bike due to the earthquake?

Like it was said, you need to check with your insurance as see if they cover "acts of God' or "natural disasters" (For those who don't believe in a God)...but they're most likely to cover it. Here, as we don't have earthquakes and all that crap, we don't generally put that in our insurance, but what we have is things like "storm" cover...i.e. hail, hard rain, trees falling on your vehicles...

·
Registered
39 Posts
We had a quake in Jersey a day before yours. Not as large but you gotta love sitting in your cube working through the quake with your Helmet on. It is hard answering the phone though.

·
Multi Kill
2,596 Posts

dude at least you're ok!!

do you ever go up on Sunday mornings?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah look at your insurance, my comprehensive would cover me hitting a bird or a tree falling on it or earthquake. It would also be interesting to see if it mattered if you were riding it or not. i.e. parked and it fell over or on the road and you slowed down but dropped it because of the shaking.

My policy says:

Motorcycle Comprehensive Insurance ---- Motorcycle Comprehensive Insurance pays for direct and
accidental loss to your insured cycle or a non-owned cycle which does not result from a collision. Here are
some of the hazards covered:
missiles, falling objects, fire, theft or larceny, explosion, earthquake,
windstorm, hail, water, flood, malicious mischief or vandalism, riot, civil commotion, and a collision with a bird or animal. Glass breakage, whether or not caused by collision is covered.

This is interesting too...

Exclusions
Any damage or loss which is the result from war or a war-like act.
Loss due to radioactive contamination.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts