Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

OK I posted this in the wrong forum section originally.

Basic thing I'm getting at here is....am I leaning too far?

I've scrubbed my knee on the ground during a turn before and it hurt like a biatch so I've been kind of lifting my knee up away from the pavement as I lean further, but today i got the piss scared out of me when i suddenly felt my boot grind accross the pavement.

Is this normal when leaning hard, to grind boots too?...I want to make sure I'm not leaning too far to the point where I'm gonna dump it.....Yes I am a N00b.

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
First off, if you're gonna be leaning like that, you need to get yourself the proper gear-leathers. If you're scrubbing your feet, then position them higher on the pegs. You should keep the balls or tips of your feet on the inside foot.

You should work on your body positioning, and get some gear! Ride safe.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tips of my feet are on the pegs, i'd have to shift my feet forward in order to break or change gears. luckily the pegs fold up because I just noticed that that little ball tip is also scratched up underneath.
As for gear my pants are the only thing not too protective...ICON Super Duty Pants
otherwise I have the ICON Super Duty Boots, ICON Daytona Jacket, Icon Persuit Gloves, Helmet...derr, Even have a AXIO Swift Backpack (mainly to protect whatever is inside, but I'm sure it will help on impact if the day comes.)

Back to the point....is it normal to do this???

·
Registered
238 Posts
i do it occasionally on some twisties... it usually happens when I don't want to ride hard and stay on the bike instead of leaning off but go too fast around a turn i end up leaning so far over i just scrape the top of my boot

·
Registered
813 Posts
You have bad foot positioning. If anything, your peg will touch the ground if you lean too far, but you don't want to drag hard parts. Also, remove your peg feelers if you are starting to hit more extreme lean angles. Do not purchase rearsets to compensate for bad foot positioninig either. Here's me at Pahrump during memorial weekend on stock rearsets. O ya, one more thing, get gear, hit the track and stop leaning so far on the streets.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya I'm gonna start saving it for the tracks, too many factors on the streets. As for foot positioning, raise your knee up (like I did, cause I'm a pansy) and lean a little more and you'll feel what happend to me. Could you post a pic up of proper footing positioning? or if you would like I'll have my buddy take a pic of my riding so you can see my foot positioning and judge it. One more thing, I'm 5' 7'', could that be a factor?

I think the reason why my boot didn't get torn up more was because the peg hit first. Think It's time I get a One Piece.

Would leaving the peg feelers on somehow result in a crash? I figured because they are rounded it wold be better to leave them on then to remove em.

BTW...That's a tight pic.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Lean your bike into the turn also. I see idiots hanging off their bike trying to drag bady parts because they think it's cool but their bike is almost straight up. Lean the bike and lean your body as uch off the bike as needed. Point your toe into the turn and higher on the peg.

Just my opinion but Icon gear for the mostpart is crap. It's more for the "I have to try to look cool" type crowd rather then the safer side.

·
Registered
813 Posts
RandomStrata said:
Ya I'm gonna start saving it for the tracks, too many factors on the streets. As for foot positioning, raise your knee up (like I did, cause I'm a pansy) and lean a little more and you'll feel what happend to me. Could you post a pic up of proper footing positioning? or if you would like I'll have my buddy take a pic of my riding so you can see my foot positioning and judge it. One more thing, I'm 5' 7'', could that be a factor?

I think the reason why my boot didn't get torn up more was because the peg hit first. Think It's time I get a One Piece.

Would leaving the peg feelers on somehow result in a crash? I figured because they are rounded it wold be better to leave them on then to remove em.

BTW...That's a tight pic.
I have dragged peg before, but dragging hard parts is a bad thing as it will put weight on that instead of your tires which leads to a smaller contact patch (less traction). Removing peg feelers will let you lean a little farther without dragging hard parts, that's why i took mine off. Also, i don't know what you mean by "I'm 5' 7'', could that be a factor?" I'm 6' tall with a size 11.5 shoe, if it makes a difference.

Marshall said:
Lean your bike into the turn also. I see idiots hanging off their bike trying to drag bady parts because they think it's cool but their bike is almost straight up. Lean the bike and lean your body as uch off the bike as needed. Point your toe into the turn and higher on the peg.

Just my opinion but Icon gear for the mostpart is crap. It's more for the "I have to try to look cool" type crowd rather then the safer side.

I agree to an extent. Hanging off is necessary but some people hang off like a monkey, or are crossed-up making it ineffective because they aren't conserving much lean angle. The point of hanging off is to conserve lean angle. If their bike is straight up and down then yes, it's probably unecessary to hang off that much. Also, +1 on icon is crap.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Actually guys its like this. If you are not hanging off your bike, then you need more a lean angle. So if he is taking canyons really fast, then it is possible to be scraping toes with the balls of your feet on the pegs, sitting upright on the bike, and your knees tucked up. I did the same thing a couple of times in the canyons and it pissed me off, wore right through my rubber in one quick contact. If anyone doesnt believe me, go look at SIDI boots. Why do they have removable hard plastic on the outside of the toes?? So when you drag it doesnt eat yo stuff up. So RandomStrata, you have two three options. 1. keep draggin toes. 2. get off bike a little so less of a lean angle is required. 3. get a suit with knee pucks and drop your knee. So is it normal? Yes if you ride with yo knee tucked up, sitting upright on the bike, and a high speed.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
i always put the balls of my foot on the outside of the peg to put some weight on it & occasionally the toe sliders on my boots touch the track, next time i do a trackday i'll step on the outside peg with my toes so only the pegs would only make contact with the track.

look at my avatar, i was already exiting the corner after that shot was taken & my toe sliders scraped the track at the apex, i step on the outside of the pegs on the balls of my foot as i usually do am i doing it wrong? i only apply what the books say about peg weighting.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
If you're dragging toes...lean more with your body. Sooner or later, you're gonna end up running wide/lowside
from going in hot without the body language to make the turn. When I didnt have my leathers yet
I always pushed my knee down/rotated my hip into the middle fairing...

After I got my leathers....I hang off the bike like a monkey constantly! ooh eee ah ah!

·
Super Mod Wanna-be
3,168 Posts
You're cruisin' for a bruisin' buddy. Get proper gear and take it to the track. You just said yourself that you are a n00b. It's good that you want to learn but don't learn the hard way like lots of "n00bs" do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts