Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been thinking... Am I too big for the 600rr?! I am 220lb and 6 foot 2 and I have been told by riders of sililar size that they have to max out the rear pre load to get the sag to where they need it to be. Hrmmmm.... really makes me want to just sell it and get something a tad bigger...

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah true... Will the bike be fine if I just adjust the pre load? I am almost afraid to do it but it pisses me off the bike sags like a 90 year olds tits when I sit on it right now and my plate rubs my rear hugger! Im a fuckin fatass!

D

·
0 Posts
If you can get within the sag range, then it will be fine. If not, respring for your weight.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the range? Also, will this prevent my cbrheaven tag relocator to stop hitting my rear hugger? I am afraid I do not like the bike THAT much to have it resprung... not worth that much to me. This was supposed to be something fun.... not a ******* money pit.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
its a hobby. i have yet to find a really fun hobby that is not a money pit. just respring you will have more fun.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not to be rude man, but the only two options is to respring or drop some weight. If you are all muscle, time for a new bike. If you can drop some pounds then try that and adjust your preload if you don't want to respring the bike. I know for a while I was pushing 210 (Mainly lean muscle, but had some weight i could shed) and my bike didn't respond the way I wanted it to.Before I considered doing any suspension upgrades, I dropped down to 185 and was able to feel a major difference. My suggestion to you is to do what you feel is best for you. You might even be more comfortable on a bigger bike. Just my 2 cents and once again not meant to be a flame or anything rude.

D

·
0 Posts
Depending on how far you have to go, installing new springs and maybe revalving the forks.
If you have to ask, it's too much to handle.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The bike has 160 miles on it! lol.

I can get down to 190 or maybe lower if I hardcore it.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
dood i am 6'2" and 270lbs. former lifter. i have even had a passenger (she was light). trust me man, you are no where near what the stock suspension can handle. stock suspension is rated up to 300lbs. it says it in the owners manual. you are borderline on having to be resprung. even at my weight, i am only millimeters out of the preferred sag for street. your fine. adjust your preload up to the max. slow down your compression as well on the front end. you will be fine.

oh and as far as people saying the bike didnt handle the way they expected...... i can drop in just as fast as my thin asian friend on his R1. the only thing i cant fix is that i am top heavy (chest, back, bi, lats etc..) so that has thrown my balance off. nothing i can do about that other than cutting off muscles.

D

·
0 Posts
dood i am 6'2" and 270lbs. former lifter. i have even had a passenger (she was light). trust me man, you are no where near what the stock suspension can handle. stock suspension is rated up to 300lbs. it says it in the owners manual. you are borderline on having to be resprung. even at my weight, i am only millimeters out of the preferred sag for street. your fine. adjust your preload up to the max. slow down your compression as well on the front end. you will be fine.

oh and as far as people saying the bike didnt handle the way they expected...... i can drop in just as fast as my thin asian friend on his R1. the only thing i cant fix is that i am top heavy (chest, back, bi, lats etc..) so that has thrown my balance off. nothing i can do about that other than cutting off muscles.
There is a BIG difference with what the spring can handle and what is proper for weight. Anyone who is 300lbs will not get either the front or rear within the proper sag range. Besides, the springs/valves are not the same for every year of bike and style of shock or fork.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I HAVE to buy a brand new rear suspension on a brand new ******ing bike because I happen to be 220lbs?!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm 6-01 and a lean 225 and I have no issues with the stock suspension. I don't race or do any track days though. I've tweaked the front and rear a little to compensate for my weight and I'm fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
FLA, at 190 you will definitely enjoy the bike much better. There is a huge difference in maneuverability when you are hitting canyons and sharp lean angles when your bike setup and your weight are not agreeing. I am not discrediting anyone, but you know your bike and the feeling that you have on your bike. You can try different setups, but also remember you are tall also, so there are many factors to consider. I am short, but when I am at certain weights, my bikes handle differently. If you get yourself to a comfortable weight and adjust your suspension likewise you will be happier in the end and have to do less work in the long run. Think of it like this: Max weight for an elevator is X. When you get close to X the elevator creeks and shutters. That is the same way your suspension reacts.

D

·
0 Posts
Someone is a little upiddy.
No, you do not have to. Have you even tried to set your sag? It's fruitless to freak out over what people just tell you without actually setting your suspension.

Bikes aren't like cars. Sure, you can get on one and ride it, but when the rider is 1/3-1/2 of the total weight, suspension winds up being changed a lot.

If you're just street riding, don't even bother freaking out over suspension. Set your sag and ride it as is.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can get to 190 no problem in a few months. So I hope this is all worth it. I'll also stiffen the rear shock a tad to see what happens to compensate for my fat ass for now.lol.

Can I adjust the rear shock with the fairings on? I have the ABS and it is a little toight if you know what I mean! lol.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Man I rider on an 09 ABS i am 6'2.5" i range from 200 to 220 lbs (depending on the season). My bike does not droop like an 80 year old set of T1ttes.
Your bike is setup all wrong. I would say get someone that knows how to adjust it to help you out. There is a great vid from Keith Code that shows how to adjust sag, it was with the Twist of the Wrist II video.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts