Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am im the process of switching to an R6 throttle tube on my 07RR. Supposedly this mod reduces the amount of travel to get to wot. In trying to get the cables around the new throttle tube cam I have run into an issue with the down throttle cable extending too much and now revealing too much slack (left cable in the photo). I wasn't really forcing anything in getting the cables into the housing but perhaps I screwed something up? I did lube both cables prior to fitting this new throttle tube on. (not that that should cause any issues). Can anyone tell me what has happened here? The pic shows the lower cable sticking out much farther than it should. Am i going to have to get into the throttle body and readjust something?

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
I know that with the housing undone, you can push and pull on the cable ends pretty freely. Can you re-assemble it into the original tube? I would try that, to make sure the settings are okay.

You may be forced to go to the cable ends on the throttle housing... hope you don't have to.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think that image is showing it out all the way. Heres an image of it in the stock throttle tube with the throttle off cable pushed as far in as it will go. How in the hell can it just plop out like that?

In all the threads of anything to do with replacing the throttle tube I haven't run into anything like this. Could the cable lube I sent down the line caused it to slip out of place?

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
No, the other end should be seated on the throttle bodies... that's the 'push' side, can you just feed the slack back? I don't remember having that much free play on the push side.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I'd bet you've detached it from the throttle bodies somehow. No way you should have that much slack unless its detached or the cable is snapped (don't think the braided wire will stretch, so it'd have to break). Did you pull on it hard enough to snap it while taking your stock tube off?

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
There's a lock nut though at the throttle bodies side... but maybe, the push cable got off it's track on the inside. After fooling with the cables, you can see how too much slack on the push side could do this. However if it's OEM cables and they've never been screwed with, I can't see how slack would be set wrong...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your feedback, guys. These are definitely the oem cables and they've never been screwed with. Other than just recently lubing them with one of those little cable lubing chambers. I just sprayed one quick blast down the line and that was it.
The push cable in the pic around the tube is pushed in as far as it will go, yet theres tons of slack now. It pulls out about an inch and you can hear a shutter or the barrel closing / moving. So i guess its still doing its job? I dont remember the travel the pull cable had before but it doesnt feel like its bound up or off track or anything. Its as if the cable just grew 3 inches. I do not think I was pulling that hard on it. Slight tugging with needle nose pliers on it at first and that was it. I was not even aware i created any slack at the time. I just looked down after reattaching the pull cable and saw it like that, was like wtf. Whatever the case I may be in for a breakdown to get to the TB. Cant wait.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thats just it. There's still WAY too much slack on the R6 throttle tube as well. Its only a little bigger than the oem tube in the picture. I think Im effed in the A :banghead:

EDIT: To answer you, G Money. Everything was just fine after removing from the oem tube. All this happened when trying to put the cables on the new R6 tube last night

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Well, get ready to learn a whole lot about your bike!

If you have to dig down in there, there are some other things you can do that will make the trip much more worthwhile. You can clean or replaced the air filter, eliminate the PAIR system, inspect the hoses on the bottom of the fuel tank, adjust the throttle cables at the throttle bodies, etc.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like great fun. Do you have to remove the throttle body to get to the throttle drum or are the cable adjusters accessible without taking the tb off?

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
You don't have to remove them thankfully; the push cable is on top and easily accessible. The pull cable goes through the bottom and is really hard to get to unless you pull the TBs off.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for your help, FC. I was going to take this to my buddy but after looking at the manual I may dive in and give it a try. Only prob is I need to have it wrapped up by next sat for a track day.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,852 Posts
If you want to know if the cable is disconnected. Just pull on the pull cable and see if the push cable retracts. Do the simple thing before you start tearing everything apart

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Wibbly is right - in fact, thinking about it, when you have the tube off the bar, you can get all sorts of slack by just pushing the housing 'up' the cable length; the cables just feed through the housing and will seem really long. When back on the bar it should go back to the correct length.

I also think the OEM housing, since it has no adjustment on the push side, will let the push side thread through with no resistance (unlike the pull side which is held in place by the adjuster.)

Sorry, I should have thought of all this before, haha.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Im getting no response at all from the push cable when pulling the pull cable open. The slack doesn't budge when you re position the housings to near the bar either. If you pull on the push cable It just pulls out about an inch and comes to a stop, you push and it goes in about an inch. Not budging past either point. I guess its come disengaged? Sounds like its quite easier for it to pop out down at the TB than it is in the throttle tube cam. Is this even possible or could it just have snapped? If this was the case id think the cable would just keep feeding out of the cable housing. Who knows :sad:

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Darn. I don't think you can see into that area either, without pulling stuff off.

I noticed, when I was down in there, the push cable sort of lays in a trough, and if you push the push cable back (towards the throttle bodies) the cable can bunch up enough to slip out of the trough and get hooked or otherwise not thread right. Which sort of makes sense that you're experiencing that only after having taken the throttle off; with the throttle in place, you can't push the push cable back very far before the physical stops inside the housing stop the tube from rotating.

edit: There's a good How-To about airbox removal that you should read if you go do this; it is very easy to break a certain sensor down in there that will keep you grounded until you replace it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts