Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clarkson did something or another and pissed off the BBC brass. He's been suspended and the remaining episodes of this season pulled form the line up. A few stories here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/11/world/europe/bbc-suspends-jeremy-clarkson-host-of-top-gear-after-string-of-warnings.html?_r=0

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11464430/Jeremy-Clarkson-suspended-after-punching-Top-Gear-producer-in-row-over-catering.html

Don't know how true the whole punching deal is though since officials are all hush-hush at this point.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
I love the show... But they went a little too far on some episodes.

Even puting international relations at risk in some cases.

·
BOTM winner 03/15
2,308 Posts
Almost half a million people have signed an online petition to get Clarkeson reinstated. #bringbackckarkeson is trending on Twitter too.

Top gear is one of the bbc's most lucrative shows and the current format can't work without JC. My bet is they want to sack him and its a very real possibility but if the accountants get involved he'll be back soon enough on his final final warning (after the debacle in Argentina & the racist remarks of last year).

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can hardly call an angry mob over a license plate a risk to international relations. How it's been handled after the fact is another story though.

On a related note, I'm secretly hoping that if BBC does pull Top Gear, those guys reassemble anyway on another network doing a show with a similar format. Top Gear without Clarkson will be like ramen without the noodles.

dkid, you've got a point there. Clarkson's not new to controversy and trouble with the BBC execs.

·
BOTM winner 03/15
2,308 Posts
Personally I don't think the demise of top gear would be the worst thing in the world. I loved the show in the early days of its current format but the last two or three series have tried too hard to replicate the previous success based mostly around three presenters and the incompetence and tomfoolery that ensued.

Lately the funny bits that made the show likeable now feel too staged imo. When I thought the accidents were just that, accidents, it was much funnier.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It'd still be a shame if it gets pulled. Top gear US is a joke in comparison and 5th gear is neat but pretty dry in comparison. I think Russia and Australia tried their versions of top gear but I haven't followed up on either.

·
BOTM winner 03/15
2,308 Posts
Maybe, but it's always better to go out on top while people still like you rather than carrying on too long and people ending up sick to death of you. I just feel they're milking it for all its worth now and that the majority of good ideas have been done.

Also, there's the presenters age. Funny as it sounds I don't think anyone can take a senior citizen driving a pagani zonda going sideways around a corner in clouds of smoke seriously lol. They can't do it forever.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not a bad way to go if that's his intention. Kinda screws up May and Hammond though. Unless they're in on it :) As to somebody that looks like he needs to be on life support getting a Zonda sideways in a cloud of smoke, it's far more entertaining to watch than say anybody a third of his age doing the same to me.

·
BOTM winner 03/15
2,308 Posts
May & Hammond have had their own stuff going on the side for a while now but I see your point, TG is their main project.

I have the feeling that all this is part of the campaign...
You could be right but it's not like they need the publicity. Plus, Clarkesons previous misdemeanours have done more harm than good. That old saying "any publicity is good publicity" doesn't apply to racism.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
No love for either Sherlock or Doctor Who?
...Yes I'm a dork.
No, I'm not interested...

I love the show... But they went a little too far on some episodes.

Even puting international relations at risk in some cases.
If a British comedian can have such a significant impact on "relations" how strong were they anyway?

Personally I don't think the demise of top gear would be the worst thing in the world. I loved the show in the early days of its current format but the last two or three series have tried too hard to replicate the previous success based mostly around three presenters and the incompetence and tomfoolery that ensued.

Lately the funny bits that made the show likeable now feel too staged imo. When I thought the accidents were just that, accidents, it was much funnier.
Because they sold the show (somehow) to the BBC or something for a lot...the leash is now tighter.

May & Hammond have had their own stuff going on the side for a while now but I see your point, TG is their main project.

You could be right but it's not like they need the publicity. Plus, Clarkesons previous misdemeanours have done more harm than good. That old saying "any publicity is good publicity" doesn't apply to racism.
I guess you're right...no one has a sense of humor anymore...

Also I should add I have no clue what this scandal is about but if you're pushing the line you're definitely not being funny unless your repertoire consists only of fart jokes...

·
BOTM winner 03/15
2,308 Posts
This scandal isn't about anything that the shows presenter has done in the public domain. It's about an off camera argument with one of the shows producers over catering arrangements. The producer was allegedly punched by Clarkson who has been suspended pending an investigation.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
This scandal isn't about anything that the shows presenter has done in the public domain. It's about an off camera argument with one of the shows producers over catering arrangements. The producer was allegedly punched by Clarkson who has been suspended pending an investigation.
didn't he punch pierce morgan or someone a while back also, or was that someone else...also if he's not on the clock, who's business is it but his and whomever else was involved?

·
BOTM winner 03/15
2,308 Posts
I think he's had a long running feud with Piers Morgan but not sure if he decked him...

The BBC is unique in that it's publicly funded. As such the employees are held up to much higher scrutiny than other tv personalities. Kind of like politicians etc.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Publicly funded... So that's what Clarkson was referring to when he kept on about how BBC is "uniquely funded". Couple of seasons late to make that connection.

And even if it wasn't publicly funded, because the presenters are huge public figures, and have close ties with BBC, anything they do is reflected on BBC. On camera/clock or off.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts