Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was replacing my busted up Rearset and I was torqueing down the socket bolt to recommended spec but my wrench never clicked and next thing I know I have a bolt head falling on the ground. So now I have a broke bolt in my frame and I've never extracted a bolt before.

I went to Autozone and purchased a bolt extraction kit... Do you drill first? If anyone could give me a brief overview of how to use this kit I'd appreciate it LOL.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I am not sure what set you purchased but usually you pre-drill a hold into what is left of the bolt then insert the "removal" bit. It is then a matter of removing the broken bolt. I had a friend do the same thing on a Honda outboard and the bolt was of such high quality it was very difficult to drill into (very hard steel). Make sure you are using a quality drill and a very sharp bit. It will also help if you use a spray lubricant while drilling to reduce friction and heat build-up. Good luck.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I would say use a cobalt or titanium drill bit to drill the first hole, these bits are used for hard metals such as stainless steel exct... they wont get dull quickly

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not sure what set you purchased but usually you pre-drill a hold into what is left of the bolt then insert the "removal" bit. It is then a matter of removing the broken bolt. I had a friend do the same thing on a Honda outboard and the bolt was of such high quality it was very difficult to drill into (very hard steel). Make sure you are using a quality drill and a very sharp bit. It will also help if you use a spray lubricant while drilling to reduce friction and heat build-up. Good luck.
Yeah the drill bits are cobalt, so they're suppose to be really hard, do you use the extractor with the drill as well? It looks like a quarter drive rachet can fit on the end of it?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I would use a socket wrench if it will fit in a 1/4 drive. It may help to get a legnth of pipe that will fit over the handle of the wrench to give tou a little better leverage. Then again, I am no expert. Just go slow. Good luck.....

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like my room mate got bored while I was at work yesterday and he drilled it out for me, w00t no work and got my bolt out..now thats the way to do it haha.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Score for a kick-ass roomate. You owe him a case from the sound of things:biggrin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts