Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
I live three blocks from a Harbor Freight and not all of their tools are crap but most of them are. If you only use a certain tool from time to time then it's not a bad deal but with something like a torque wrench I would and have bought a more reliable tool.

The tools I've broken from Harbor Freight include socket wrench, crescent wrench, tie rod and ball joint separator, pitman arm pullers, sledge hammer after 1 swing, blow torch adapter died after 1 day, burnt up 3 grinders and lots of misc. tools.

The only thing that works well and I've never had an issue with are the tie downs I've used for dirtbikes and such.

·
Registered
152 Posts
somebody has brought up the idea of having a torque wrench group buy.. i'm gonna chime in my 2 cents.. now we use torque wrenches at work and i'm actually in charge of making sure they are calibrated annually.. now from experience, the harbor freight torque wrenches are just as accurate as snap-on, matco, cornwell, etc.. my buddy has one he's had for over 10 yrs and passes every calibration..even if it was to fail next year, hell, $20 for 10 yrs is well worth the money.. bottom line.. go get it..it might not be as fancy as the expensive ones, but definitely gets the job done...

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have used that wrench for a couple of years, bought it in a pinch. it works, but the numbers never line up, and there is always a question in the back of your mind on how accurate it is.

its fine for stuff like drain bolts, axle bolts, and stuff like that. I wouldnt be rebuilding an engine or anything with it.

the bad news is that mine just broke on me a month or two ago, after being used for several years, and I was in a pinch, so I ran over and bought another one. but it was on sale for $14

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
For any precision, or important stuff, go with the good stuff.
I only use Mititoyo or SPI calipers and have access to a $700 Mountz torque wrench when needed, although a calibrated elbow (EDIT:eek:r cheapo wrench)will do the trick on some stuff.

If I buy (EDIT:another) torque wrench, it'll be a craftsman probably.
I have a paint gun from Harbor, but wouldn't trust it for anything crucial.
x2 on the sockets, polish socket set(crescent), and hammers sucking.

I have some stubby ratchets, a pickle fork, 4" grinder, air hammer, and body saw that have been fine, granted I don't use them everyday.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have a $20 one that looks just like that labeled "Great Neck" (probably all made the same place in China). I used it for several years to torque lug nuts and then checked the calibration, it was about 10% low. Have used it many years since and just set it 10% high. I wouldn't trust it to put a motor together, but anything 30+ ft-lbs it's good enough.

·
Rizoma King
485 Posts

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I bought one of the $20 dollar Pittsburgh Harbor Freight torque wrenches many years ago to use on my car after my crappy overpriced Craftsman broke. I also have a beam style torque wrench that I check it to and it is accurate within specs that the manufacturer claims. Harbor Freight does not make their tools, other companies do. Not all their stuff is crap. For the most part the alloys or metals will be cheaper. So one may break an open end wrench from there much easier as apposed to a Craftsman, although I have broken both.

No need for an expensive torque wrench, they are made in the same China wherehouse as the cheap ones and are most times just as good as the next regardless of price.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I bought the HF torque wrench, and I'm perfectly happy with it. The two torque wrenches and an impact driver are the only two "cheap" tools that I own and the rest are Craftsman which I began collecting as I needed in 1994.

My profession doesn't rely on my tools, but I change my own oil, brakes, alternators, starters, rotate my wheels and stuff like that. I've never taken my bikes to a shop for any reason because I'm confident that I can do everything myself.

I'm not an aircraft mechanic or part of a pit crew, and I don't use my tools every day (or every week). For the 10 to 20 times a year that I open my torque wrench case, I think that $20 HF versions are just right. Their quality seem fine to me, and I expect that I will have them for decades... we'll see.

·
Registered
923 Posts
i have one of these and i bought it from kragen and is the same wrench and it worck perfect for me all the time. so no problem with this one.

rodrigo.

·
Fabulous Disaster
327 Posts
I personally would, and have gone for a more reputable brand name when it comes to precision tools. But I guess if you make sure it's calibrated, then a $20 torque wrench should do the same as a $200 torque wrench. I would just recommend checking the calibration more often on a cheaper torque wrench. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
You get what you pay for, I'd got with a craftsman or similar. Something with a warranty
Ya, well my Craftsman torque wrench broke and those, along with many of the other Craftsman tools, carry the limited warranty. True, a knuckle head working their may exchange it for you not knowing the rules, or not caring. However, when the head broke on mine there was no replacement part and Sears would not fix it,give me credit, or even exchange it. I even called Sears HQ about it but was told the warranty was limited and I got 0. I only buy their tools now that have a 100% replacement warranty. I also know for a fact that their torque wrenches are made in a China factory and that they went with a cheaper company that is different than years back, so quality is even worse these days.

The HF torque wrench that we refer to is made by Pittsburgh Tools and is sold under a few brand names at many tool retailers all over the country. HF has the best price, it is not uncommon to see this same wrench go for more money elsewhere.

·
Registered
410 Posts
anyone hear of mountain torque wrenches? i just bought a 1/2 and 3/8 from them, i hear the 1/2 one is decent, but nothing on the 3/8 one. just wondering if they're any good, don't plan to do any block work or anything that requires that sort of precision

·
Registered
901 Posts
snap on digital ftw it cost some serious cash but that thing is the sheit set the desired # and turn away vibrates and rings when you get to the set # also dose degrees for tourqe to yeild things .. i think it set me back $450 but its the best out there .. lol all jokin aside a craftsman is prolly your best bet good for everyday things and of decent quality lookem up on sears online .. i used a craftsman twist and click for a long time before i got my snap on and actually for fun ive checked how accurate the craftsman was still with my snap on and to my surprise the craftsman was very accurate still after years of use ..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts