Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it crucial to tighten everything to torque settings? I don't own a torque wrench, but when I do maintenance I often have my friend bring his over -- but I haven't always used it.

Please advise

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
you don't want bolts to vibrate loose and back out while riding by under-torqueing. you also don't want to break a bolt or part by over tightening. i use the torque wrench on every bolt that has a torque value in the manual. JMO. also gives peace of mind too. i'm also picky as hell. some guys may do it differently.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
yes it is, invest in a quality toruque wrench ... 2 actually, one for foot pounds, and a smaller for inch pounds.

Reactions: Guardian187

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Crucial? Probably not. Advisable..I would think so.

I know when I'm cranked over going who knows how fast in whatever turn, apexing and looking through to the entry of the next turn, one of the very last things I want entering my head is:

"I wonder if I tightened my axle bolt enough?"

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Yes if you can't afford a quality one pick a cheapy up at harbor freight, yes yes I know not the best but its better than guessing.

I have a Harbor Freight torque wrench I tested it with a snap on at work and its very close, If you can spend the $80-$170 for a good wrench do it! If not get close with the cheapy.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Crucial for everything? No. But for parts that are critical major components (bolts on the brake caliper, engine, nuts/bolts that attach the suspension to the chassis), it is HIGHLY recommended that you use a torque wrench. But for an item such as a nut/bolt that holds the mirror in position, not critical.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Crucial? Probably not. Advisable..I would think so.

I know when I'm cranked over going who knows how fast in whatever turn, apexing and looking through to the entry of the next turn, one of the very last things I want entering my head is:

"I wonder if I tightened my axle bolt enough?"
Haha yeah that is a good point

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Yes, you need a torque wrench.

Pretty much for the reasons that Darkfader said, I will add one though:

Even if you don't over-tighten it to the point of stripping the forces placed on those threads whilst riding, particularly at high speed, may cause the thread to shear. Good old Murphy would also say that its most likely to happen mid corner...

Not using a torque wrench could be compared to walking into a lions den with 10lb of steak... you might not get bitten this time, but it will happen...

·
Registered
477 Posts
Cheap-o torque wrenches are more dangerous than none at all. Don't buy things like that from Harbor Freight man. Not for 2 wheels.... This one http://www.toolweb.com/products/PREC2FR100F is the one I have used for years. Mine was rebadged by Snap-On but they pretty much never need calibrating and the first head in it lasted through near daily use for about 8 years I think. The range is low enough to where you can just do the math on some inch pound requirements. Just as concerning, is too tight rather than too loose. Out of fear of something flying off people often over-torque things, this stretches bolts which significantly weakens them in the middle. Don't wait until you possibly find yourself hurt or worse before you realize that it's a cheap investment that will last you for years if you buy quality.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
you don't want bolts to vibrate loose and back out while riding by under-torqueing. you also don't want to break a bolt or part by over tightening. i use the torque wrench on every bolt that has a torque value in the manual. JMO. also gives peace of mind too. i'm also picky as hell. some guys may do it differently.

Nicely said, a good investment especially if you plan to work on your own bike. I never owned one until I started, taking my tires off and changing out drive components.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I think i am gonna go and buy one just cause of this thread and ween off of the "good enough" method of tightening

·
Registered
321 Posts
What would be a suitable range for the CBR?

Looking at one that is 2-24 and another that is 10-80nm

I suspect the wider the range the less accurate plsu I would also like to use it for my mountain bike but if 24 wont go high enough on the CBR then its not much use.

·
Registered
836 Posts
u want a torque wrench where your torque specs fall within 20-90% of the wrench's range

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Get a Service Manual. Torque all fasteners to Honda specifications. Use loctite where recommended (strength will be specified), where not specified use low strength loctite.

Do not use your torque wrench to loosen fastners, only for tightening. Also, release tension on the wrench as soon as you are done with it. Do not leave it sitting while adjusted to a torque.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Understand the above, but what I dont have at this point is a service manual so I dont know what the torque range is for general bike maintenance.

I wont be doing wheels/hubs so I know I dont need anything to that level, this is more for things like changing pads, adjusting bars, etc - low end stuff

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Understand the above, but what I dont have at this point is a service manual so I dont know what the torque range is for general bike maintenance.

I wont be doing wheels/hubs so I know I dont need anything to that level, this is more for things like changing pads, adjusting bars, etc - low end stuff
You have to do wheels/hubs of you are going to do chain maintenance.
The bolts on the controls are cast aluminum and break VERY easy. You need a torque wrench. Trust me on this.

You should be able to find a PDF of the manual with a google search.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.